Brisbane 2032

This must be the final dagger in the heart

Brisbane born and bred Tracey Wickham who was the Golden Girl of swimming in the late 70's/early 80's and was the face of the 1982 Commonwealth Games (basically she was the Cathy Freeman of Sydney 2000 for Brisbane 1982) has stuck the knife in deep and twisted and twisted it

Australian swimming champion Tracey Wickham says Brisbane should hand Sydney the hosting rights of the 2032 Olympics after a shambolic three years of planning.

https://archive.md/RuNgr

Funny, I was just wondering what Sydney/NSW (& indeed the city of Melbourne for 2006) must be feeling, since they're really the ones who did so much to earn the (justified) reputation of Australia post-2000 as one of the world's best host countries - only to see Regional Victoria embarrass them in front of the Commonwealth & now Queensland do the same on the biggest of all stages. If things continue as they are for much longer, there'll be a strong case for moving to Sydney/Melbourne if NBC can be bribed/persuaded. The host of still one of the best ever games, or probably the most Olympic-ready non-recent host on the planet isn't a bad choice to have - the parallels to 2000 for NBC are uncanny too. Home Summer games 4 years before, with the even bigger carrot of a home Winter games 18 months after - it's even Salt Lake!

Edited by yoshi

11 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Oh, this will gonna be a hot mess (if there wasn't enough). 

Maybe AMC should do an Olympic preview at the theaters for this cabinet spectacle. I’d pay for admission for that! :lol:

5 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

The common thread between the 2026 Commonwealth Games and 2032 Olympics is this new model of appointing hosts. 

It’s a single candidate in a non competitive process. They sign contracts without ironing out the details of the framework, and it falls to **** quickly. They're overlooking very basic project management principles in order to take full control over the appointment of host cities. It's nontransparent, and it's vulnerable to corruption. This is the New Norm in action.

What did it in for Melbourne though, is wanting to make a whole “Victoria” thing out of the CWG’s after the fact. And Brisbane just doesn’t appear to be ready for this. I feel now that they just got catapulted (by a certain you-know-who) way too prematurely. It looks like they need another 20 years.

I also feel that for a small nation like Australia, population-wise, it also was too soon for another Australian Games. Another 44 years after Sydney (just like it was from Melbourne 1956 to Sydney 2000) would’ve been very appropriate. And Brisbane would’ve grown more & been that much more prepared by 2044 for this Olympic endeavor. 

5 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

My money is on the France's 2030 Winter Olympics being the next **** storm.

And in their case, they really have absolutely NO time whatsoever so be messing around. Since their lead time is literally only half of was Brisbane’s is/was (at first).

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Funny, I was just wondering what Sydney/NSW (& indeed the city of Melbourne for 2006) must be feeling, since they're really the ones who did so much to earn the (justified) reputation of Australia post-2000 as one of the world's best host countries - only to see Regional Victoria embarrass them in front of the Commonwealth & now Queensland do the same on the biggest of all stages. If things continue as they are for much longer, there'll be a strong case for moving to Sydney/Melbourne if NBC can be bribed/persuaded. The host of still one of the best ever games, or probably the most Olympic-ready non-recent host on the planet isn't a bad choice to have - the parallels to 2000 for NBC are uncanny too. Home Summer games 4 years before, with the even bigger carrot of a home Winter games 18 months after - it's even Salt Lake!

Happy for Sydney to give it a crack - but as much as I love the idea of a second Melbourne Olympics this is not our time. 

We have other bigger priorities with a housing crisis, hospitals, and major transport projects which need priority. We do have most required venues in place, but it would still require billions in organisational capacity and I don't think its worth it. 

But this is why I am shitty - Brisbane 2032 has screwed it for the rest of us. Melbourne and Sydney would have otherwise been good options to host in the 2040s (which I think would be a good time for Melbourne - IF the seasonal issue was resolved and an October Olympics/November Paralympics were possible). 

1 hour ago, FYI said:

What did it in for Melbourne though, is wanting to make a whole “Victoria” thing out of the CWG’s after the fact. And Brisbane just doesn’t appear to be ready for this. I feel now that they just got catapulted (by a certain you-know-who) way too prematurely. It looks like they need another 20 years.

I also feel that for a small nation like Australia, population-wise, it also was too soon for another Australian Games. Another 44 years after Sydney (just like it was from Melbourne 1956 to Sydney 2000) would’ve been very appropriate. And Brisbane would’ve grown more & been that much more prepared by 2044 for this Olympic endeavor. 

And in their case, they really have absolutely NO time whatsoever so be messing around. Since their lead time is literally only half of was Brisbane’s is/was (at first).

Yes for the first point. Sure Australia is rich and powerful as a nation, but in real numbers for example, has only 27 million. 

I guess the key difference over Nice and Brisbane will be related of the internal administration per se. France is one of the most centralized countries. Everything came from and to Paris. Meanwhile Australia is a federal state, with the province government having clear autonomy. In case of Nice, this will became a real national enterprise. With Brisbane, we saw the discussion between Queensland and federal government from Canberra.

9 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

The common thread between the 2026 Commonwealth Games and 2032 Olympics is this new model of appointing hosts. 

Its a single candidate in a non competitive process. They sign contracts without ironing out the details of the framework, and it falls to **** quickly. They're overlooking very basic project management principles in order to take full control over the appointment of host cities. It's nontransparent, and it's vulnerable to corruption. This is the New Norm in action.

My money is on the France's 2030 Winter Olympics being the next **** storm.

I vehemently agree there’s huge problems in the host and venue plan vetting processes. But what’s exacerbating that is the shouty, adversarial world we find ourselves in now, where everything from public health and hygiene measures to pictures of Michelangelo’s David become huge frenzied culture wars - much less public spending on sports facilities. Sydney 2000 would have been a hot political sh!t fight in these times, whereas Brisbane would have come across as unremarkable, even bland, in the 1990s. Today, yeah, Brisbane’s now demonstrating a masterclass in keystone cops ineptitude, but a lot of that is fed by polarised politicisation and a media actively encouraging and amplifying outrage and manufacturing crisis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I vehemently agree there’s huge problems in the host and venue plan vetting processes. But what’s exacerbating that is the shouty, adversarial world we find ourselves in now, where everything from public health and hygiene measures to pictures of Michelangelo’s David become huge frenzied culture wars - much less public spending on sports facilities. Sydney 2000 would have been a hot political sh!t fight in these times, whereas Brisbane would have come across as unremarkable, even bland, in the 1990s. Today, yeah, Brisbane’s now demonstrating a masterclass in keystone cops ineptitude, but a lot of that is fed by polarised politicisation and a media actively encouraging and amplifying outrage and manufacturing crisis.

And we can blame the modern internet for this too. They found out that the easiest way to get people attention is selling them rage by the cursed algorhytms that social media use today, the way people share outrage faster, for good and for bad.

Well this all seems to be a shitstorm of the IOC's own making, though always wobbles along the way.   Ridiculous though we're looking at stadiums half the size of the Sydney Olympic Stadium - this currently feels like it's going to be another Atlanta rather than a repeat of the success of Atlanta.    

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Guilga said:

And we can blame the modern internet for this too. They found out that the easiest way to get people attention is selling them rage by the cursed algorhytms that social media use today, the way people share outrage faster, for good and for bad.

Exactly.

When I started out in journalism, a Vox Pop was being told by the chief of staff to go with a photographer down to Central Station and buttonhole six people about their opinion on some issue. These days it’s turning on the comments section for a story, posting loaded polls and Gen Y “reporters” scrolling through Instagram and Twitter/X to find some exchanges they can turn into a “Storm Erupts Over ….!” story. 

• Like 1

On second thought, I don't think I can blame the IOC for dismissing the report that QLD considered cancelling the Games.

In his response to the question about the possibility of cancellation, Bach did say that "All the actors have made it very clear that there was no mention of this in any of the conversations or planning that they had." Would it be too far fetched to say that it's possible that QLD purposefully lied or omitted the truth to them?

Like, there is precedent for this. Victoria only gave the CGF an 8 hour warning before they publicly withdrew. The CGF made it clear that until that very day, the state and organizing committee had been proceeding and interacting with them like everything was fine. You don't just randomly decide to cancel the Games. This was definitely something that had been planned for a while, and yet Victoria didn't tell the CGF until the VERY last minute, opting to instead pretend everything was fine until then. Queensland could have definitely considered pulling something like this with the IOC.

And because the IOC wasn't made aware, they probably assumed the news article was just part of the public discourse over the stadium issues going on at the moment.

I guess we may or may not find out soon...

From that story, THIS:

“There was also a view that other organisations needed to step up, engage and front-up some cash in the debate about stadiums – especially the AFL“

It’s all very well that the AFL leads the call for a better legacy stadium from the games, but it’s getting a bit disingenous to expect (or in the case of Tasmania, demands) that governments pay for the stadiums that support their future ambitions. It’s not like the AFL’s some minor, financially struggling code. And it’s the club owners who mostly finance such venue projects overseas like in he US and UK.

The AFL’s fast becoming a bight and a curse for the countries near national hosting opportunities. They’re the best obstacle to logical plans for a future FIFA World Cup, for example. 

Edited by Sir Rols

10 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The fact that Miles wheeled out Wally Lewis and other NRL players to announce the "Olympic" stadium plan on Monday did not go down well in AFL world

Well, Qld IS an NRL state. Most of its sporting heroes are Rugby League players. AFL is the sideshow.

And at least NSW had the sense to step back and scale when the NRL was trying to get Gladys to fund its stadium ambition plans. And, as a rectangular ground user, is more accomodating to things like the FIFA tournaments, rather than playing the perennial spoiler role that the AFL does. Or like the AFL compromised the post-games legacy of Stadium Australia.

And anyway, as far as the new oval stadium for Brisbane debate goes, the NRL doesn’t have a financial stake in that game. It’s more happy just to thwart the AFL’s dreams.   

Edited by Sir Rols

48 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

And it’s the club owners who mostly finance such venue projects overseas like in he US and UK.

To clarify, massive amounts of public money are spent on stadiums in the US.

https://www.insidehook.com/sports/cheap-champs-chiefs-exec-leave-kc-stadium-tax

Full private funding of stadiums only really happens in global cities like New York or Los Angeles. Cities the size of Brisbane in America (like Pittsburgh or Kansas City) invariably end up paying to build stadiums - sometimes with all of the money coming from governments.