Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

“Gillon McLachlan, the Australian Football League (AFL) boss tipped as a candidate to be Brisbane 2032's chief executive, may not leave the post at the end of the season as planned.”

“The AFL season concluded yesterday, but its final days have been overshadowed by harrowing allegations over the mistreatment of First Nations players by the club Hawthorn. A review, obtained by ABC, found senior officials at Hawthorn coerced and bullied First Nations players into cutting off contact with their families, sought to separate couples and in one case demanded a player pressure their partner to get an abortion.”

“But there are alternatives. Brisbane-based m3architecture proposes retaining the Gabba in its current form as a warm-up facility for the Games and building a new temporary stadium – designed to be dismantled after the tournament – on the former Go Print site at Woolloongabba.“

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

“But there are alternatives. Brisbane-based m3architecture proposes retaining the Gabba in its current form as a warm-up facility for the Games and building a new temporary stadium – designed to be dismantled after the tournament – on the former Go Print site at Woolloongabba.“

Why spend all this money on a temporary stadium? Make a big investment so Brisbane can lure major sporting events to the Gabba. The Gabba needs to be redeveloped Olympic Games or not. Look at what the Adelaide Oval did to Adelaide, Perth Stadium do to Perth. The new Gabba could do the exact same thing to Brisbane

• Like 1

Does it have to be a new Gabba though? I know I've said it before, and that I'm over 10000 miles away so it's not my problem, but surely Brisbane could handle a stadium at least as big as Perth's. Is there no other site that would give Brisbane more value for its billion dollars?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Does it have to be a new Gabba though? I know I've said it before, and that I'm over 10000 miles away so it's not my problem, but surely Brisbane could handle a stadium at least as big as Perth's. Is there no other site that would give Brisbane more value for its billion dollars?

Shhhhh don't mention any idea not involving the gabba in this forum ;)

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

The Gabba’s current site is wedged in a very tight space and very little room for expansion.  There’s just no room to fit one the size of Perth’s 60,000 stadium.  

Brisbane Olympics: Gabba's $1billion redevelopment for the opening ceremony could be scrapped - daily mail - msn.com

“A plan to give a major sports venue a facelift for the Olympic Games is under a cloud amid cost blow-outs.”

“The plan would see the sportsground's seating plan going from a 42,000 seater to 50,000.”

“The stadium would need to be widened by 10metres either side of the tight spot it already sits on, 4km south of Brisbane's CBD.”

“It would encroach onto Stanley and Vulture streets, major thoroughfares in the Woolloongabba area. “

“The venue may also need to be raised - making it level with the Cross River Rail station concourse currently being built.”

“The costs would include expensive land resumptions and cause the Brisbane Lions AFL club's headquarters to be moved to Springfield - 27km west of the prime site.”

pRWSGUc.jpg

“The Queensland government is reportedly looking into other venues to hold the events, including a 50,000-seat stadium in Albion Park racetrack or Doomben racecourse.”

“Another option is to use the Meriton Stadium on the Gold Coast, which hosted the Commonwealth Games athletics events and both ceremonies in 2018.”

“But it faces opposition from Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner, who want the events in the River City.”

“Another option under consideration is to use the Brisbane River as the location of the opening and closing ceremonies, with the athletics being held at a different place.”

I wasn't talking about putting a Perth sized stadium on the Gabba site! You can only just get the current one in there...I'm talking about a completely new stadium on a new site, that could be the same size as Perth's or bigger even, and still fit with the idea of a sustainable Olympics because Brisbane is a sports mad place that's... bigger than Perth. And because as an English cricket fan, the thought of 70-80k Aussies screaming down the first ball of the Brisbane Test (or if Harmison is bowling, catching it) gives me goosebumps. 

I can see where this is going though, if the opening ceremony in Paris is a success, they'll have Brisbane's ceremonies on the river and athletics in Gold Coast, in the 2018 stadium. How big was that?

The problem with building a stadium elsewhere is one of the new stadium or the Gabba will turn into a white elephant. They could potentially knock down the Gabba and repurpose the land but that'd be a huge shame because part of the reason the cross river rail station is there is because there's a stadium next door.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

I wasn't talking about putting a Perth sized stadium on the Gabba site! You can only just get the current one in there...I'm talking about a completely new stadium on a new site, that could be the same size as Perth's or bigger even, and still fit with the idea of a sustainable Olympics because Brisbane is a sports mad place that's... bigger than Perth. And because as an English cricket fan, the thought of 70-80k Aussies screaming down the first ball of the Brisbane Test (or if Harmison is bowling, catching it) gives me goosebumps. 

I can see where this is going though, if the opening ceremony in Paris is a success, they'll have Brisbane's ceremonies on the river and athletics in Gold Coast, in the 2018 stadium. How big was that?

Lack of mass public transport options  to Track and Field at the Gold Coast Stadium weighs heavily against that venue as an option.  It would be a nightmare to move Olympic sized crowds in and out each day by bus and then back up to Brisbane.

There’s also no train at the Gold Coast Carrara Stadium and none planned.

The outcomes of this “Project Validation” which is going on right around the Gabba Rebuild will make for very interesting reading.

Any option for Track and Field needs to have mass people movement public transport options at its doorstep.

The Gabba has both - train and Brisbane Metro articulated long tram-like buses.

Q: Brisbane 2032 will be a disaster

Brisbane maybe a bit disappointing, or underwhelming or whatever...but it will not be a disaster. Australia and Queensland are very capable of putting on a great event, especially with 11 years notice.

Paris still hasn't nailed down all its venues 1 year and 10 months from the Games, and only just appointed its ceremonies director. Don't think Brisbane considering venues changes 10 years out is hardly a big deal.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Brisbane maybe a bit disappointing, or underwhelming or whatever...but it will not be a disaster. Australia and Queensland are very capable of putting on a great event, especially with 11 years notice.

Paris still hasn't nailed down all its venues 1 year and 10 months from the Games, and only just appointed its ceremonies director. Don't think Brisbane considering venues changes 10 years out is hardly a big deal.

I agree.

The Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be it’s finest hour, as Sydney 2000 was.

• Like 1

"This is a very exciting situation for the Organising Committee and the IOC, the opportunity to prepare for 11 years," said Fürjes.”

"I think this is a tremendous opportunity, in terms of planning, to implement everything needed for a great Games.“

58 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

"This is a very exciting situation for the Organising Committee and the IOC, the opportunity to prepare for 11 years," said Fürjes.”

"I think this is a tremendous opportunity, in terms of planning, to implement everything needed for a great Games.“

Although he did took part for this with Budapest. Now with Brisbane 2032.

• Like 1

“The lucrative contract is expected to be highly sought after by brand design agencies across the country with the Brisbane 2032 brand expected to draw global recognition.”

“Mr Liveris said the Organising Committee will use the brand to entice people to South East Queensland long before the torch is lit and to stay well after the flame goes out.”

“We want to deliver a compelling brand that reminds the world why they should come to Brisbane, stay and do business in Australia, and enjoy the Olympic and Paralympic Games along the way,” he said.”

“South East Queensland’s superpower is our lifestyle, our ingenuity, our innovation, our entrepreneurship and our hospitality.”

“To help us communicate our unique blend to the world in an increasingly crowded and noisy market, we will unite this message under the Brisbane 2032 brand,” he said.”