Jump to content

Brisbane 2032


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Why not name John Coates already, literally he is the godfather of brisbane 2032. Or will that happen later?

Because he'll be IOC president long before then? Being the godfather of Brisbane 2032 while also being The Godfather of the IOC might be beyond even him - unless the current Don Corleone does a Putin and gives himself a term extension. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Why not name John Coates already, literally he is the godfather of brisbane 2032. Or will that happen later?

Nah, John Coates is a member of the board of Brisbane 2032 Organising Committee and is happy to advise in that role, just as he did as a board member on the Sydney 2000 Organising Committee.

John Coates will not apply to be CEO and will be quite happy to remain on the board  in an advisory capacity.

The man is 72 years old, has just retired as President of the Australian Olympic Committee and will happily let someone younger and more energetic take on the CEO role with Andrew Liveris as President.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live and work in brisbane - i work in the CBD and often drive past Olympic venues such as the gabba. i'm surprised I've not seen the rings anywhere short of the electronic billboards that were up just after we won the games. i would have thought given we are almost a year out from being awarded the games (21 july will be a year) i would have seen something by now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

I live and work in brisbane - i work in the CBD and often drive past Olympic venues such as the gabba. i'm surprised I've not seen the rings anywhere short of the electronic billboards that were up just after we won the games. i would have thought given we are almost a year out from being awarded the games (21 july will be a year) i would have seen something by now

While Olympic Rings traditionally appear within the 4 years leading up to the next Games, yes I’d like to see an early set of rings perhaps on the Storey Bridge or another prominent location.

But am doubtful we will see them until after LA2028 is over. There’s probably some guidance or rules around this issued by the IOC.

LA2028 already has the Olympic Rings at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum from the 1932 Games.  Brissie however may not be allowed to display them just yet (?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

LA2028 already has the Olympic Rings at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum from the 1932 Games.  Brissie however may not be allowed to display them just yet (?)

Doubt it, when Paris won 2024 they immediately unveiled the Olympic Rings in front of the Eiffel Tower (not sure if they still exist / are still at that location)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bear said:

Doubt it, when Paris won 2024 they immediately unveiled the Olympic Rings in front of the Eiffel Tower (not sure if they still exist / are still at that location)

Maybe Brisbane will unveil their own rings then sooner than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, Tejas57 said:

I live and work in brisbane - i work in the CBD and often drive past Olympic venues such as the gabba. i'm surprised I've not seen the rings anywhere short of the electronic billboards that were up just after we won the games. i would have thought given we are almost a year out from being awarded the games (21 july will be a year) i would have seen something by now

The original colours on Storey Bridge?
fUHdxom.jpg

 

… or perhaps the golden style in 2000 of the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

VOPMCtf.jpg
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

perhaps the golden style in 2000 of the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

i like this, but i'd like to see something on the electronic billbords they have in front of the gabba - something like Gabba - Home of the 2032 olympics with the rings

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Populous.

Global design firm.

“When designing a stadium or arena it can’t be considered in isolation. Buildings are not just objects on their own, they’re part of the broader urban design and the more you can weave a project into the fabric of a city, the more treasured it is by the people, the more used it gets and the more sustainable it becomes.”

“For Brisbane 2032 we have the opportunity to plan how we would like to be defined, for example the Digital Games or environmentally sustainable design with a new ‘walkable city’ master plan.
 

Credit:  Placemaking, legacy and the 2032 Games - 23 May 2022 - Populous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Populous.

Global design firm.

“When designing a stadium or arena it can’t be considered in isolation. Buildings are not just objects on their own, they’re part of the broader urban design and the more you can weave a project into the fabric of a city, the more treasured it is by the people, the more used it gets and the more sustainable it becomes.”

“For Brisbane 2032 we have the opportunity to plan how we would like to be defined, for example the Digital Games or environmentally sustainable design with a new ‘walkable city’ master plan.
 

Credit:  Placemaking, legacy and the 2032 Games - 23 May 2022 - Populous

Oh nice, does that paragraph was supposed to make gabba renovation less underwhelming?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Oh nice, does that paragraph was supposed to make gabba renovation less underwhelming?

Populous, the Olympic venue design firm, are simply making a statement about design..

None of us have yet seen the final design, only early concept images.

We wait to see the final design of the 50,000 capacity Olympic Stadium, the joining with the pedestrian plaza, the underground Cross River Train Station, the Brisbane Metro vehicles and busways and how it all integrates with surrounding community including the warm-up athletics track at nearby Raymond Park.

Here is the full statement by Populous of 23 May 2022:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

“In close to ten years’ time, Brisbane will become the youngest city ever to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games. As much as the global event and the major venues that host it are about entertainment, they’re also about facilitating a lasting connection between people and place.

“With considered planning and bold placemaking efforts, the 2032 Games can create a long legacy for Brisbane, the South-East and all of Queensland.”

Currently, there are many conversations occurring around which stories or social imperatives could drive placemaking for the host city and what city-sweeping urban regeneration projects we can expect to define the 2032 Games.

One such organisation is the Committee for Brisbane. Now in its 60th year of operation, the committee is exploring the concept of placemaking as a legacy through their ‘Business of the Games’ event series.

Inspired by the International Olympic Committee’s definition of legacy, the Committee for Brisbane invited a panel of local Brisbane experts to consider the profound benefits that placemaking could have for Queensland in the run up to the 2032 Olympics.

The panel focused on creating greater connectivity and cultural infrastructure to successfully capture the character of Brisbane’s community.

Bringing 30 years of design and master planning expertise to the panel was Populous’ Principal and Architect, Shaun Gallagher.

Shaun has a particular interest in planning for the legacy of major events and stadia developments including the Olympic Games and has worked on the Sydney 2000 Games, ANZ Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, London 2012 Games, Queensland Tennis Centre and many other notable projects.

By shaping and integrating sporting infrastructure into the fabric of a city, we have a chance to create enduring precincts long after major events are over.

Putting placemaking at the heart of future planning for a city, combined with designing public infrastructure such as major stadiums and arenas for their long-term use first, can ensure they are connected and vibrant community precincts which facilitate lasting connections between people and place,” Gallagher said.

There are many lessons to learn from past Games and the next ones coming up about the importance of creating a theme and legacy.

“The 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games was a real urban regeneration project to reclaim that city and you can still measure the success of those games today 30 years on because of the work they did in creating and promoting a new destination.

“Sydney 2000 claimed the theme of the Green Games with Populous’ Olympic Stadium becoming a model of green, functional, cost-effective design, which is still regarded as one of the most environmentally sustainable stadia in the world.

“London 2012 was where Populous designed the master plan of the Olympic precinct for its intended legacy use 10 years after those Games.

“Paris 2024 is next and they have 95% of their venues either existing or temporary. The only major urban regeneration they have is for their Athlete’s Village.

“LA 2028 is an interesting one as they are investing in public transport infrastructure which will remain long after the Games are gone and hopefully change the behaviours of people living in LA who rely on cars and private transport to get around.

“For Brisbane 2032 we have the opportunity to plan how we would like to be defined, for example the Digital Games or environmentally sustainable design with a new ‘walkable city’ master plan.

“When designing a stadium or arena it can’t be considered in isolation. Buildings are not just objects on their own, they’re part of the broader urban design and the more you can weave a project into the fabric of a city, the more treasured it is by the people, the more used it gets and the more sustainable it becomes,” Gallagher said.

Credit:  Placemaking, legacy and the 2032 Games - 23 May 2022 - Populous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, AustralianFan said:

Here is the full statement by Populous of 23 May 2022:

this is basically populous putting up there hand and going we are here, we have done this work in the past so don't forget about us when you tender out.

 

given the plan is for the Gabba to be torn down after the ashes in 2025 and could take up to 4 years to complete, they would be starting in the next 18 months to tender out design i'd think. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

this is basically populous putting up there hand and going we are here, we have done this work in the past so don't forget about us when you tender out.

given the plan is for the Gabba to be torn down after the ashes in 2025 and could take up to 4 years to complete, they would be starting in the next 18 months to tender out design i'd think. 

I wonder if Populous is the “preferred” design firm given the Premier of Queensland officially opened their new Asia Pacific HQ early in 2021:

Architects Populous open new Asia Pacific headquarters in Brisbane - 26 February 2021 - Aus Leisure

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...