Brisbane 2032

The utter irony in all of this is, if the IOC had not rushed in to anoint 2032 so rashly, they could've avoided a lot of this mess. They would've had plenty of time to vet everything & everyone properly, & then make a much more informed decision.

But no, they had to quickly rush in & crown a smallish city with a dubious plan at best, all at a time when the world was in the grips of a global pandemic & thus dealing with the one year postponement of Tokyo 202One because of that. All the while, completely ignoring 2030, too. Go figure. But most us already know why that was anyway.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

But you'll have to wait until 2033/34. Jimmy Anderson sadly will pass away from old age in October 2033 on the eve of the tour

Actually on a serious note, the 2033/34 Ashes is being used as a carrot. If the Gabba is still in it's end-of-life decepit stage by then or already fallen down and being rebuilt, there will be a brand new roofed stadium down in Hobart eager to take the match

I got the cycle wrong lol. Thinking about it it would be that way round because there would've had to be a tour this last winter. 

Jimmy is kept in a cryogenic chamber between tours. He is immortal - unfortunately recent events suggest we should've used the chamber for Alistair Cook...

I can think of nothing more Australian than having all this brought to an end and Brisbane finally spurred into a final decision not by the Olympics, but by the Ashes tour :lol:

An Ashes Test in Hobart? Will be a shame to lose the Bellerive, probably the most beautiful major ground in cricket...

3 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I got the cycle wrong lol. Thinking about it it would be that way round because there would've had to be a tour this last winter. 

Jimmy is kept in a cryogenic chamber between tours. He is immortal - unfortunately recent events suggest we should've used the chamber for Alistair Cook...

I can think of nothing more Australian than having all this brought to an end and Brisbane finally spurred into a final decision not by the Olympics, but by the Ashes tour :lol:

An Ashes Test in Hobart? Will be a shame to lose the Bellerive, probably the most beautiful major ground in cricket...

I must admit, I’m not entirely sure of the current state of play, but I don’t think Bellerive’s in danger of being replaced for cricket, at least internationals.

Proposed Hobart stadium couldn't host Test, ODI cricket

2 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The ICC needs to give a waiver for a stadium with a roof, which they did for Docklands in Melbourne

Cricket Australia expects the same for the new hobart stadium

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/cricket-boss-confident-roof-wont-jeopardise-macquarie-point-matches/news-story/5ba365d748062e6c4b48df8fd04e6d02

Okay. Thanks.

the interesting thing about the Hobart AFL stadium is how it’s very much mirrored the Brisbane saga in terms of the public outrage it generated over costs. 

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Federal Minister for Sport (also a Queenslander and Miles ally) not overly happy with the whole thing

Local minister for the district next to Vic Park also. She is very well liked in Brisbane generally and doesn't tend to play politics. Can tell she wants to get it right.

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Federal Minister for Sport (also a Queenslander and Miles ally) not overly happy with the whole thing

Yeah, she seemed a bit rattled talking to the anchor guy there. But she was also rather disingenuous on a couple of points:

First suggesting that other cities have also had issues during their lead up, like Sydney. But then going even further like mentioning how Paris "doesn't even know" how many athletes they're going to have for the Opening ceremony, in order to downplay Brisbane's problems. Like, what in the world does that have to due with Brisbane's venue debacle & transport issues, besides absolutely nothing? 

Then she mentions how Brisbane, "being the smallest city ever to be selected to host the Olympics" wouldn't have been possible without the IOC's new-norm protocols (she forgot to say Coates in front of new-norm, though). That you need to refurbish existing venues "first". Pretty sure that's not what the new-norm is suppose to be all about. But rather to incorporate plans that would better suit your city, rather than just build things specifically for the Games.

Love that Lisa athlete, though - the Bird "Cage". Maybe she was thinking about the movie! 😂

And love how Andrea ended in response to Bach's "fake news" bit. That the IOC 'wasn't' in cabinet. lol

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Of course they're just trying to save face now. Let's see what Bach does if/when this Olympic reality blows up in his face. I'd really, REALLY like to know, though, what his conversations with JC are like these days. lol

Me too. If there's an HBO miniseries by Armando Iannucci ala Veep, this is the perfect subject lol.

And the LNP… finally… has come out with their position on the issue. They’re NOT backing any new stadium.

Queensland opposition rules out new Olympic stadium if elected

The Queensland LNP leader, David Crisafulli, has ruled out building any new stadium for the Brisbane Olympics at the Gabba, in Victoria Park, or anywhere else.

That leaves just two options to host athletics. Plan A: upgrading the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, which was used for the 1982 Commonwealth Games, and later by the Brisbane Broncos until the early 2000s. That’s the Labor government’s plan, and it has been heavily criticised by the LNP opposition because it’s nowhere near public transport.

Or plan B: they could hold it on the Gold Coast at Carrara Stadium. It hosted the opening and closing ceremonies at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, and the athletics.

Just one problem: it’s on the Gold Coast, which is an odd place to hold the Brisbane Olympics. (It was also scheduled to host cricket).

They might also hold it at the Gabba, but the ground has been criticised by all parties as unsuitable without major upgrades.

The idea of a multibillion-dollar new stadium at Victoria Park was recommended by an independent review led by former Brisbane lord mayor and long-time Olympics booster Graham Quirk on Monday. It is now dead.

The opposition leader told media he would set up an independent infrastructure authority immediately if elected at the state poll in October, and the body would come out with an answer by February 2025.

Crisafulli said this afternoon:

For 1000 days the Labor government has torched the Games. I’m asking Queenslanders for 100 days to fix this mess, for 100 days to get what should have been right a long time ago.

The Guardian

Come to think now, I think this is a stroke of political genius

For the next 6 months the LNP can run on the line of "NO NEW STADIUMS", QSAC is a wasteful option etc etc

Then when elected in October, handball the whole thing to the Olympic Coordination Authority and when they report back after 100 days, they will report probably pretty much identically to Quirk saying the best option is to build a new stadium at Victoria Park and bulldoze the Gabba

"We have listened to the "independent" experts and we will do the best for Brisbane"

Knowing in the back of their minds they won't have to face the voters again until October 2028, by which time a broken promise be a distant memory

Either that or they cancel the whole thing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

"We have listened to the "independent" experts and we will do the best for Brisbane

Problem is he said he'd tell the experts it has to be existing stadiums.

Only options I see:

1. Opening Ceremony is a River fire like event culminating at Suncorp and largely incorporating South Bank - and athletics is at Carrarra (which means I'm reality it's not really a Brisbane Olympics at all to locals, but I guess for the world it could work)

2. Gabba

What people are beginning to say tonight

The Gabba is an "existing" stadium, not a "new" stadium, even if it is a full rebuild is can still be classed as an existing stadium

So maybe we might go full circle :lol:

To be all honest a rebuilt Gabba is the best option as it has been since Day 1. They've just spent billions to build a new subway station connected to the front door. Just knock down that damn school!

As Michael Jordan says ....

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Why do we in Australia ruin major sporting event chances

I don't think this was the case until the last 12 months or so, in fact our reputation prior to that was for putting on some of the best sporting events ever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FYI said:

How big were these samples, though?

12 hours ago, Gonzo said:

about 3000

Which is a perfectly decent sample size. But given it's a TV poll it'll be unrepresentative and if the channel has any political or demographic bias in its viewership*, badly skewed. Might as well post a twitter poll. :lol:

Let's wait for the actual polling companies to do their thing.

* in general TV news tends to skew older and more conservative

Edited by Rob2012

46 minutes ago, kcbworth said:

I don't think this was the case until the last 12 months or so, in fact our reputation prior to that was for putting on some of the best sporting events ever.

This. Exactly this.

But if Brisbane flunks this your reputation will be in the bin. Certainly as far as multisport events go anyway.

(looking forward to the race this weekend, even if it is at 4am and even if it'll probably be another Verstappen walkover...Melbourne always does a great job)

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

This is a complete disaster. Why do we in Australia ruin major sporting event chances.. first with the Commonwealth Games and now with the Olympic and Paralympic Games...

The common thread between the 2026 Commonwealth Games and 2032 Olympics is this new model of appointing hosts. 

Its a single candidate in a non competitive process. They sign contracts without ironing out the details of the framework, and it falls to **** quickly. They're overlooking very basic project management principles in order to take full control over the appointment of host cities. It's nontransparent, and it's vulnerable to corruption. This is the New Norm in action.

My money is on the France's 2030 Winter Olympics being the next **** storm.