Brisbane 2032

• 2 weeks later...

Brisbane Times understands the proposal put forward by the federal government to its Queensland Labor counterparts may excise the Gabba from any funding deal but make it up, at least in part, by taking on other projects, possibly the yet-to-be-built swimming venue known as Brisbane Live.”

Australian Government "very open" to discussing new railway line for 2032 Olympics host Brisbane

“Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Catherine King has said the Australian Federal Government is "very open" to discussing a new railway line into Brisbane, although it is unclear whether this would be completed before the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics.”

“A new line into Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast has been mooted to boost railway infrastructure in the region, and King entertained the prospect, insisting the Canberra administration is "very open to speaking with the Queensland Government about that."

“She affirmed the commitment of Anthony Albanese's Government to railway projects across the country.”

• "I know my boss is pretty keen on rail," she said, as reported by the Brisbane Times.
  • "You’ve seen him talk about it a lot.”
  • "So we are happy to talk to the Queensland Government about future projects."

“King was speaking at the under-construction Roma Street Station in Brisbane, which is set to be one of six stops on the new underground Cross River Rail expected to be ready in 2025.”

“Queensland’s Transport Minister Mark Bailey had said earlier this week that a new railway line from the north into Brisbane would be required in the "medium term", but declined to say whether this would be before Brisbane 2032.”

“He said that the need for good transport connections during the Olympics and Paralympics, as well as population growth, would be among the key factors considered for any railway projects.”

“Brisbane is set to become the third Australian city to host the Olympic Games in 2032 and the second to stage the Paralympics.”

“Scott Morrison led a conservative coalition at the time Brisbane became the first city to be awarded hosting rights under the International Olympic Committee's new bidding process in 2021.”

“He had promised that the Federal Government would cover half the Games' cost, but the coalition was beaten by Labor's Albanese in May last year.”

“Albanese has refused to commit to a 50-50 split, and talks are ongoing between the Queensland and Australian Governments to find a funding solution for Brisbane 2032.”

Inside The Games - Australian Government very open to discussing new railway line for 2032 Olympics - 20 Jan 2023

“South-east Queensland mayors are heading to California and Canada on an 11-day fact-finding mission to gather solutions to transport, waste and population issues ahead of the 2032 Olympic Games.”

“And the trip might mean futuristic air taxis become one step closer to operating in Brisbane for the Games.”

“Evans, a chartered accountant, was previously the chief financial officer at the QAL, which is responsible for Gold Coast, Townsville, Mount Isa, and Longreach airports.”

“Gold Coast Airport, formerly known as Coolangatta Airport, is located at the southern end of the Gold Coast and approximately 56 miles south of centre of Brisbane.”

“The Gold Coast will be one of the main competition venues for events during Brisbane 2032.”

“In addition to staging beach volleyball, judo, wrestling, triathlon, football, marathon swimming and volleyball during the Olympics, the Gold Coast Athlete Village will house more than 2,600 athletes and officials.”

Coventry confident that there is full Australian Government support for Brisbane 2032 -ITG 31 Jan-23 

“International Olympic Committee (IOC) Brisbane 2032 Coordination Commission chair Kirsty Coventry has insisted there is "full support" from the Australian Government for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in nine years' time.“

On 1/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane Times understands the proposal put forward by the federal government to its Queensland Labor counterparts may excise the Gabba from any funding deal but make it up, at least in part, by taking on other projects, possibly the yet-to-be-built swimming venue known as Brisbane Live.”

Good. 
I wouldn't expect the Australian taxpayer to support an event that only benefits my state. Security alone will cost federal tax payers billions.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:00 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

Good. 
I wouldn't expect the Australian taxpayer to support an event that only benefits my state. Security alone will cost federal tax payers billions.

Well, if you ask any country that had hosted the olympics, they will tell that the games indeed benefited the whole nation. Look at china, USA or spain. Its not only brisbane olympics, but australia olympics

• Thanks 1

That might be true in smaller countries, like Spain or Australia, or even a much larger country like China, where their very first Olympics was just as recent as 2008, so it was mainly a national pride thing to them, but in a country like the United States, which has hosted the most than any other country, the Olympics here are really not seen as benefitting the "entire nation".

I'm sure that Paris 2024 will be viewed with much more nationalistic pride there than L.A. 2028 will be viewed here. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans don't even know that Olympics are coming to the U.S. in 5.5 years time, let alone that it's going to be some benefit to them, no matter where in the U.S. they live. With as polarizing that this country is becoming by the day, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that by the time L.A.'28 gets closer, that it could be referred to as the "woke"-lympics by the ones who subscribe to that sort of stuff. 

1 hour ago, FYI said:

That might be true in smaller countries, like Spain or Australia, or even a much larger country like China, where their very first Olympics was just as recent as 2008, so it was mainly a national pride thing to them, but in a country like the United States, which has hosted the most than any other country, the Olympics here are really not seen as benefitting the "entire nation".

I'm sure that Paris 2024 will be viewed with much more nationalistic pride there than L.A. 2028 will be viewed here. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans don't even know that Olympics are coming to the U.S. in 5.5 years time, let alone that it's going to be some benefit to them, no matter where in the U.S. they live. With as polarizing that this country is becoming by the day, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that by the time L.A.'28 gets closer, that it could be referred to as the "woke"-lympics by the ones who subscribe to that sort of stuff. 

Hmmm. I don’t think it’s as clear cut as that. I suspect that ultimately it’ll all come down to the feelings and biases of individuals. But a few observations…

* Time proximity plays a part. Yes, in the case of countries that haven’t hosted before, or not for a long, long while, It does amp up the nationwide pride. Sydney was long enough after Melbourne it almost seemed a different era (heck, most of the images of ‘56 are still in black and white). It was a bit new and novel and became a more national celebration. I think, or at least to me personally, Brisbane is following up sooner and thus becomes more Queensland-flavoured. Similarly, I think 1984 was a national hosting for the US, while Atlanta became about “The South”. We’ve already seen how Madrid wants it’s turn because it considers 1992 to be Catalonian. If the UK was to host again (outside London) in the 30s or 40s, it would likely become more a “Northern” or “Scottish” games. 

* In terms of bidding, 2000 was the culmination of a national effort since the 1980s, that went through Brisbane and Melbourne first. There was a determination to land “Australia” the games, and a lot of effort was made to build excitement and national support for the various bids. The 2032 bid was more a Queensland push, backed by Coates. it’s method of winning was more low key and didn’t need to build up a nationwide promotion for support, or involve competition against international rivals.

* Oz doesn’t have a single, dominant “main” city in the way that, say, the UK or France does. Sydney and Melbourne are the largest, and the main rivals, but the other States (especially Queensland) are fiercely parochial and resist any dominance or arrogance by NSW or Victoria.  We don’t really nave a “national” stadium, partly because of this and partly because we have regional variations in our main sports passions. The MCG may be a national icon, but I doubt it has the same emotional attachment to Sydneysiders  as it has to Melburnians. Ditto, I doubt Melburnians have much attachment at all to Stadium Australia. The Gabba’s a Queensland icon more than an Australian one. Our various State centrepiece stadiums therefore tend to be built and funded by the State Governments rather than the Federal Government.

* Finally, and totally personally, Sydney to me was my home town hosting fist, and Australia hosting second. I was, I confess, happy it was my city, rather than Melbourne, that hosted. Brisbane 2032, to me, just feels like more a Queensland thing than a national thing. I’ve mentioned before I’m more hyped for Paris than I am for 2032. I’ll probably get more invested in Brisbane as it gets closer, and I’m sure lots of effort will be made to promote it as a hosting for the nation, even while Queenslanders will be taking extra pride in “their” games.

53 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Similarly, I think 1984 was a national hosting for the US,

I think that actually had more to do that it was the Cold War era than it being solely about the Olympics as a national hosting. Considering Moscow had hosted 1980 & then the Russkies played tit-for-tat with the boycott. Something tells me, though, that 2028 isn't going to resonate the same way 1984 did on a national level. Especially if SLC is also already slated on the 2030 or 2034 calendar by then.

58 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Oz doesn’t have a single, dominant “main” city in the way that, say, the UK or France does. Sydney and Melbourne are the largest, and the main rivals,

That's interesting, because as an American (& I'm sure many other Americans would view it the same) I think of Sydney as Australia's 'main' city. I don't think Melbourne even registers with the minds of many Americans when they think about Australia. That being said, though, Melbourne hosting again after Sydney did, made the most sense to me as an American, than Brisbane does.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Finally, and totally personally, Sydney to me was my home town hosting fist, and Australia hosting second. I was, I confess, happy it was my city, rather than Melbourne, that hosted. **Brisbane 2032, to me, just feels like more a Queensland thing than a national thing.** I’ve mentioned before I’m more hyped for Paris than I am for 2032. I’ll probably get more invested in Brisbane as it gets closer, and I’m sure lots of effort will be made to promote it as a hosting for the nation, even while Queenslanders will be taking extra pride in “their” games.

Well, this goes against what someone else said up-thread that it's not only a Brisbane Olympics, but an Australian Olympics. But then that goes into what I initially meant, the more a nation hosts, the less nationalistic it starts to become (the Olympics for most nations is [suppose to be] a once-in-a-lifetime experience), especially when you consider that after Brisbane 2032, Australia will then become only the 8th country in the world to have hosted the Olympics three times or more. And out of those eight countries, Australia would be the smallest, population-wise. So it would make sense then, that some of the Australian mindset towards the Olympics would start to become a bit more mundane.

I can still remember Samaranch saying at the Closing Ceremony of Sydney 2000 that "Australia won't have to wait another 44 years for another Olympics". Perhaps he was privy to something back then about Coates shenanigans. :lol: I myself, have also mentioned that I'm more pumped about Paris 2024 than about L.A.'28. But once 2028 gets closer, I'm sure I'll also get more excited about it, too. But even then, that'll have more to do because I love the Olympics regardless, versus about simply because they're being held in the U.S. (for the ninth time, & in the same city thrice).

“The former Liberal leader made the joint pledge with Palaszczuk in April 2021, just three months before Brisbane secured the hosting rights for the Games.”

“Albanese has been less committed to the 50-50 figure due to rising inflation caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.”

Vancouver’s mayors have briefed their south-east Queensland counterparts on how the Canadian city plans to double its bus services, add extra train lines and bikeways over a decade, in a blueprint for how Brisbane can prepare for the 2032 Olympics.”

“What Vancouver told south-east Queensland’s mayors about public transport”

“Over the next 10 years Metro Vancouver plans:”

• “To focus on the expansion of bus services because it can be achieved quickly;”
  • “Deliver 11 new RapidBus lines and seven new Express bus lines in high population growth zones;”
  • “Expand three train lines for Skytrain services;”
  • “Build nine bus rapid transit services, similar to Brisbane City Council’s under-construction Metro;”
  • “Complete 450 km of traffic-separated cycling paths.”

(Source: Metro Vancouver 10-year priorities Transport 2050 report provided to the South-East Queensland Council of Mayors).

SEQ mayors get Canadian blueprint for Olympic transport - Brisbane Times