Brisbane 2032

I still can't get my head around the idea of an Olympic opening ceremony in the stadium where Harmison bowled the worst ball in the history of cricket :P. The river does look really wide though, there's a risk it'd end up like the Diamond Jubilee thing on the Thames, where there was a parade on the river but it was really cloudy and nobody could see the other side! Is there still nobody thinking that Australia's third city could justify a stadium at least as big as Perth's? I get cost-cutting and making the games fit Brisbane but since the Gabba will basically be a new stadium anyway...

7 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Would be very costly to build a temporary structure over water as Singapore did, which is a permanent structure and is still there today, 12 years later.

Singapore’s over-the-water platform performance area was constructed in a very sheltered waterway, compared to the strong current in the Brisbane River which recently swept away one or two river ferry terminals.

That whole Brisbane South Bank area where the 1988 World Expo was held is hosting several 2032 Olympic sports so it can’t really be used for a full Opening Ceremony as well as there isn’t the space like at Trocadero in Paris 2024.

Welll...that's exactly what I said earlier, if it is no possible for 2032 then why pointing out it was done back in 1988? Brisbane would'nt loose to much by making ceremonies in their main stadium, its not like if brisbane river was as iconic as the parisian seine,  or sidney's harbour. Pushing brisbane river for hosting the ceremony would be like asking London for making the thing in the thames, its a cool sport for tourists, but not for a massive event

4 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I still can't get my head around the idea of an Olympic opening ceremony in the stadium where Harmison bowled the worst ball in the history of cricket :P. The river does look really wide though, there's a risk it'd end up like the Diamond Jubilee thing on the Thames, where there was a parade on the river but it was really cloudy and nobody could see the other side! Is there still nobody thinking that Australia's third city could justify a stadium at least as big as Perth's? I get cost-cutting and making the games fit Brisbane but since the Gabba will basically be a new stadium anyway...

I think the while gabba thing was just a PR move for the bid, to say the "no new buildings, yay". The truth is that for a city like brisbane building a new 60k stadium (expandable to 80k for the games) in albion for 2-3 billion will be far more sustainable than adding only 15k seats for 1 billion, so probably they will end up building a new venue.

8 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

I think the while gabba thing was just a PR move for the bid, to say the "no new buildings, yay". The truth is that for a city like brisbane building a new 60k stadium (expandable to 80k for the games) in albion for 2-3 billion will be far more sustainable than adding only 15k seats for 1 billion, so probably they will end up building a new venue.

No, the Gabba will be the Olympic Stadium when it is demolished, as announced.

The new Cross River rail line (underground) to, and past, the new Gabba Olympic has reached the new stadium and construction of the new Olympic Stadium train station has commenced.

The Queesland Premier announced a couple of months ago that demolition of the exisiting stadium and construction of the new Gabba Olympic Stadium in it’s place will not commence until the Cross River rail line and the new train station is completed.

The legacy capacity needs have been assessed long ago and the 50,000 spectator capcity will comfortably accommodate Australian Rules Football and Cricket spectators, as announced.

9 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Specially thinking back in 2019 they were already considering the building of an 80k seater for the games https://www.austadiums.com/news/695/new-80-000-seat-brisbane-stadium-central-to-2032-olympics-bid

They ditched the 80,000 stadium at Albion before the IOC awarded the Games.

As announced, the Olympic Stadium will be the new 50,000 capacity Gabba stadium.

14 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

No, the Gabba will be the Olympic Stadium when it is demolished, as announced.

The new Cross River rail line (underground) to, and past, the new Gabba Olympic has reached the new stadium and construction of the new Olympic Stadium train station has commenced.

The Queesland Premier announced a couple of months ago that demolition of the exisiting stadium and construction of the new Gabba Olympic Stadium in it’s place will not commence until the Cross River rail line and the new train station is completed.

The legacy capacity needs have been assessed long ago and the 50,000 spectator capcity will comfortably accommodate Australian Rules Football and Cricket spectators, as announced.

Maybe the gabba may be the new olympic stadium, still dont think the preliminary design showed in the presentation will be the final design, lets just remember how tokyo and london stadiums looked initialyZaha Hadid gana el concurso por el Estadio Nacional de Japón | ArchDaily  México

Don't miss Richard Budgett's Olympics podcast... - BJSM blog - social  media's leading SEM voice

The gabba proposed design in my perspective is very underwelming for a city which houses the populous offices in asia, its almost like a small copy of london olympic stadium

Brisbane's bid to host the 2032 Olympic Games will be decided tonight.  Here's what to expect - ABC News

no doubt the 50k configuration is optimal for an after the games use, but for the final design it would be better for the organizing commitee to build an 80k-70k stadium with the capacity of a 20k seats reduction after the games, like good ol stadium australia in sydney or centennial stadium in atlanta

1 minute ago, Chris_Mex said:

Maybe the gabba may be the new olympic stadium, still dont think the preliminary design showed in the presentation will be the final design, lets just remember how tokyo and london stadiums looked initialyZaha Hadid gana el concurso por el Estadio Nacional de Japón | ArchDaily  México

Don't miss Richard Budgett's Olympics podcast... - BJSM blog - social  media's leading SEM voice

The gabba proposed design in my perspective is very underwelming for a city which houses the populous offices in asia, its almost like a small copy of london olympic stadium

Brisbane's bid to host the 2032 Olympic Games will be decided tonight.  Here's what to expect - ABC News

no doubt the 50k configuration is optimal for an after the games use, but for the final design it would be better for the organizing commitee to build an 80k-70k stadium with the capacity of a 20k seats reduction after the games, like good ol stadium australia in sydney or centennial stadium in atlanta

Theres still 10 years for the games to start, so theres plenty of time to consider if a new stadium is needed. From my POV a billion dollar renovation that will only add 8k seating capacity for the arena should be considered in everyway a waste of money, but coming from the country that demolished a 60k soccer stadium in sidney just to build an 800 AU million 60k soccer stadium in the same place, its expected.

6 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

5 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Theres still 10 years for the games to start, so theres plenty of time to consider if a new stadium is needed. From my POV a billion dollar renovation that will only add 8k seating capacity for the arena should be considered in everyway a waste of money, but coming from the country that demolished a 60k soccer stadium in sidney just to build an 800 AU million 60k soccer stadium in the same place, its expected.

Sorry to rain your parade but the 50,000 capacity Gabba rebuild first and last the only Olympic Stadium that Brisbane will be building.

Sorry, but these projects including the rail conneciton have already been announced and started. 

The existing Gabba stadium footprint is in a very very tight space in an exisitng built-up area located inner Brisbane, amomgst houses and historic buildings..

In Queensland, there  just is not the room nor the money floating around like the middle east mega stadiums.  The images you have oosted of Tokyo have no relevance to the situation in Brisbane. 

It’s fantasy land to think that the Gabba Olympic Stadium project is suddenly going to be abandoned in favour of a bigger stadium in another location.   

It’s not happening.  It just isn’t.

The government state and federal have announced the rail and stadium project and it has already started in two stages.

cRjRVrC.jpg

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Sorry to rain your parade but the 50,000 capacity Gabba rebuild first and last the only Olympic Stadium that Brisbane will be building.

Sorry, but these projects including the rail conneciton have already been announced and started. 

The existing Gabba stadium footprint is in a very very tight space in an exisitng built-up area located inner Brisbane, amomgst houses and historic buildings..

In Queensland, there  just is not the room nor the money floating around like the middle east mega stadiums.  The images you have oosted of Tokyo have no relevance to the situation in Brisbane. 

It’s fantasy land to think that the Gabba Olympic Stadium project is suddenly going to be abandoned in favour of a bigger stadium in another location.   

The government state and federal have announced the rail and stadium project and it has already started in two stages.

cRjRVrC.jpg

@Chris_Mex
I agree we have not seen the final Gabba Olympic Stadium design yet but both the stadium footprint and the $$ budget is very constricted in phyiscal space available for a stadium, funds available and finally future legacy spectator capacity needs.

Outlandish early Tokyo style designs is just not physically possible.

But it will be a sparkling new stadium and will do the job nicely, even with 50,000 capacity.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

cRjRVrC.jpg

No offence, but are you willing to accept any kind of criticism to the games masterplan, I know brisbane 2032 selection process and masterplan are the "perfect" plan towards making the olympics, yet your answers towards any kind of appointment to the games is "it is the way it is", "it is better than before", "it is planned perfectly", I'm just pointing out that it doesnt make sense to spend 1 billion dollar in adding 8000 seats to a venue, but apparently because it will have a metro station (like if it was the best justification for the spend) it is a valuable inversion for queensland, I just pointed out 2032 is 10 years appart and plans can and do change, and my nonsense pics for the tokyo and london stadiums, were just a consideration of how preliminary plans use to change. I know that brisbane 2032 masterplan is perfect, that the bidding process was transparent, and specially that the government doesnt have enough money to build an olympic-level stadium (althought they do have 1k billion dollars), yet they are daring to host the olympics (nonsense) but hey lets not criticise the no flaws games of brisbane 2032, why dont we host every games in brisbane if they re going to be so perfect?.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

No offence, but are you willing to accept any kind of criticism to the games masterplan, I know brisbane 2032 selection process and masterplan are the "perfect" plan towards making the olympics, yet your answers towards any kind of appointment to the games is "it is the way it is", "it is better than before", "it is planned perfectly", I'm just pointing out that it doesnt make sense to spend 1 billion dollar in adding 8000 seats to a venue, but apparently because it will have a metro station (like if it was the best justification for the spend) it is a valuable inversion for queensland, I just pointed out 2032 is 10 years appart and plans can and do change, and my nonsense pics for the tokyo and london stadiums, were just a consideration of how preliminary plans use to change. I know that brisbane 2032 masterplan is perfect, that the bidding process was transparent, and specially that the government doesnt have enough money to build an olympic-level stadium (althought they do have 1k billion dollars), yet they are daring to host the olympics (nonsense) but hey lets not criticise the no flaws games of brisbane 2032, why dont we host every games in brisbane if they re going to be so perfect?.

You’re confusing facts with your stadium fantasies.

You’re trying to create a new stadium somewhere else without keeping up with the news and the facts.

No-one said the Brisbane Olympics is perfect, only you said that.

No Olympics is perfect , none …. ever.

But you need to catch up with the facts about Brisbane 2032 because the stadium fantasies you keep bringing up are from 18 months ago.

Even I would like a bigger stadium, like the one in Perth.

But what you want, what I want …. has got nothing to do with the reality that

The Queensland State Government and the Australian Government have already announced 50/50 shared funding for the new Gabba Stadium.  

I don’t want or mean to offend, but the Cross River Rail then Gabba Olympic Stadium demolition and construction has already started …. it’s too late ….. just too late…

sorry :rolleyes:

Here are some of the rail/stadium construction timing and funding announcements:

Gabba funding hurdle cleared for Olympic stadium - 21 March 2022 - Brisbane Times  (by Cameron Atfield)

• “The famous stadium was not part of the long-awaited south-east Queensland City Deal, but the rebirth of Brisbane’s home of cricket and AFL as an Olympic venue appeared on firmer ground on Monday as the Commonwealth warmed to the idea.”
  • “But the bulldozers would not move in on the Gabba until Cross River Rail was fully operational, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said as she trumpeted the City Deal funding pact between her government, the Commonwealth and the Council of Mayors (SEQ).”

Gabba Stadium Goes to Market - June 2022 - Ray White

• “Set to become the centrepiece of the 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games, the famous Queensland Sporting Grounds’ extensive revitalisation project will see its’ capacity grow from 42,000 to 50,000 patrons, elevating the arena to the number one cricket and AFL stadium in the world”.
  • “Although the exact amounts are yet to be confirmed, the Queensland Government will contribute some of the funds toward the design, while the private sector will be able to bid for individual projects within the redevelopment.”
  • ”The venture will incorporate the surrounding areas of the stadium in Brisbane’s once-industrial suburb of Woolloongabba, including the Cross-River Rail Project, an underground rail system that will run from Dutton Park to the RNA showgrounds.”
  • “A pedestrian bridge from the Gabba Cross River Rail Station will connect directly with the main entry to the stadium, improving accessibility in a high-traffic area”.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They have Moreton Daily Stadium and Suncorp Stadium

It seems the article is about getting their own dedicated boutique stadium from an Olympics venue legacy and not have to share it’s availability with concerts and other sports and events.

I wouldn’t be hopeful of this happening, but you never know …

Brisbane River could star in revamp of Olympic Games ceremonies

If southeast Queensland’s 2032 bid is successful, the opening or closing ceremony could be the most spectacular and cutting-edge in modern Olympics history. The Games could also see Suncorp Stadium transformed, allowing the largest crowd ever for the swimming events.

exclusive and PETER GLEESON

2 min read
December 7, 2019 - 12:00AM

8 comments

UP TO 2 million people could line the Brisbane River to see the most spectacular opening or closing ceremonies in modern Olympics history, as part of a cutting-edge Queensland-style revamp of the current model.

Multiple Olympics sources have told The Courier-Mail the break from tradition for one of the two major ceremonies would form part of the “new paradigm’’ being embraced by the International Olympic Committee.

There is also speculation that Suncorp Stadium would be completely overhauled for the Games, with a roof going on and an Olympic-sized pool and diving board built.

SEQ 2032 Olympic Games worth $22b to Queensland

Coalition of unions demands no funds cut from services for 2032 Olympic Games bid

Olympics 2032: Plans for new 80,000-seat Brisbane stadium

The Brisbane River could be used to reinvent the opening or closing ceremony of the 2032 Olympic Games. Picture is the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Picture: AFP Andrej Isakovic

The Brisbane River could be used to reinvent the opening or closing ceremony of the 2032 Olympic Games. Picture is the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Picture: AFP Andrej Isakovic

This would mean a crowd of close to 50,000 for the swimming, which would be the largest spectator number ever achieved for that event, which is traditionally Australia’s strongest.

The 65,000-seat Olympic stadium and athletes’ village would be built at either the Hamilton Wharves area or Albion Park racetrack, which will be vacated by 2023 as the trots and dogs move outside the city.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said yesterday Riverfire’s fireworks display each year showcased the Brisbane River to up to a million people.

“It’s very clear to me and the organising body that we need to use the river in a much more proactive way,’’ Cr Schrinner said.

More than 2 million people would line the Brisbane River during the Olympics opening or closing ceremony. Picture: AAP/David Clark

More than 2 million people would line the Brisbane River during the Olympics opening or closing ceremony. Picture: AAP/David Clark

“There is a distinct possibility that we could do something very special either opening or closing the Games with the river.

“What that looks like right now is hard to say because clearly there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge before we get to talking about how that works and looks.

“But it’s a point of difference for us with the IOC and I know the IOC are looking to take the Games very much into the 21st century, in so many ways.’’

If the Brisbane River was to be used, organisers believe it is most likely to be the closing ceremony, where tradition can be more easily changed.

The plan would be to use floats on the river in some capacity, with a night-time extravaganza and fireworks being the centrepiece.

Glen Smith, Genine Larin, Eliza King, Julian Vitali, Helen Beattie with baby Aiden Lees and Lisa Fletcher are all behind southeast Queesland’s 2032 Olympic Games bid. Picture: Steve Pohlner

Glen Smith, Genine Larin, Eliza King, Julian Vitali, Helen Beattie with baby Aiden Lees and Lisa Fletcher are all behind southeast Queesland’s 2032 Olympic Games bid. Picture: Steve Pohlner

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is understood to be “red hot’’ on throwing the conventional Olympics handbook out the window for a “razzle-dazzle’’ opening or closing ceremony.

She is bullish about Queensland’s 2032 Olympics prospects and will present the findings of a cost-benefit analysis to Cabinet on Monday. 

The Games bid has garnered widespread support from Queensland’s top business and sporting identities including Cathy Freeman and Ash Barty.

•  
  •  
  •  

It’s already been done in just over 2 years time in Paris. No doubt the BOCOG will be watching closely 

The Gold Coast Mayor is complaining about not being on the Brisbane 2032 Organising Committee yet refuses to join COMSEQ, the to the region’s Council of mayors organisation (COMSEQ).

He has brought this upon himself and the important influence of the Gold Coast on the Brisbane Organising 2032 Committee is now missing after kicking this own goal.  It’s quite unbelievable that he is resting on the 2018 CWG laurels like this.  The Gold Coast have fluffed this right up.  

9 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

It seems the article is about getting their own dedicated boutique stadium from an Olympics venue legacy and not have to share it’s availability with concerts and other sports and events.

I wouldn’t be hopeful of this happening, but you never know …

Doubt it’ll happen. If it is not hosting events, I can’t see it being built. Redcliffe is perfect if they want a boutique stadium for soccer. 

• Like 1