Brisbane 2032

"In terms of population, Brisbane will be the smallest Olympic host city since Montreal in 1976 and *one of the 'major' reasons* of why it won,"

Yeah, sure. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After revealing he was encouraged by the number of cities already expressing interest in the 2036 and 2040 Games, IOC president Thomas Bach agreed that Brisbane's 'success' could have been the catalyst."

"This indeed may have encouraged [cities to express interest], together with the 'revolution' of the candidature of the procedure which brought down the budgets of candidates by 80 percent. This is also a great encouragement for so many in the new system."

"IOC official and Brisbane 2032 Coordination Commission Chair Kirsty Coventry, said she believed the affordable model 'created' for Brisbane was a 'game-changer'."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, but many of the cities that "expressed interest" in 2032, are many of the SAME ONES also expressing interest for 2036 & beyond, like India, Indonesia & Qatar. And of course you still have your usual dictatorships, like Russia & China, where in the end, money is no object with them. 

So how disingenuous of Bach & Coventry, to say the least. All that is, is just more of the usual, "feel-good" IOC PR lip-service. Nothing more, nothing less.

To be fair, he does have a point. However bad the non bidding process was, Brisbane could still be a hugely important Olympics, simply because it's small. There's a hell of a lot more cities in the bracket of "1-2 million with a supporting region of smaller cities and towns" than "5 million+ metropolis that can do it all alone". No offence but it also strikes as the kind of second tier city that could use the Olympics to kick itself into the top flight if it goes well, Barcelona style. I hope it goes very well, there's at least three regions of the UK you could apply this model to even before you start on the rest of the world (just to make the point about just how many of this kind of city region there are) so it could open things up, as long as the IOC play their cards right. 

Edited by yoshi

But that's not really the point, though. It's all well & good if smaller cities/countries *in the future* could make a play for the Olympics, but what Bach & Coventry are doing here, in essence are *already making that claim*, simply because of Brisbane's coronation. Their 'election' alone, though, is not enough to make such a declaration this early. The jury is still out, & will be out for at least a decade, just how well a smaller host can handle the Olympic Games.

It's also not like the likes of a Manchester, Lyon, Seville, Leipzig & Nashville's of the world are currently knocking down the IOC's door to host. Again, last I checked, India, Indonesia & China (which were also interested in 2032, & are again at 2036) are hardly "smaller countries" (with Qatar being the anomaly there).

And if we're talking about fair, & since you brought up Barcelona, let's remember how the 1992 Summer Games came to be ITFP. Another election with dubious circumstances surrounding it. I still say if the IOC still has a choice between a glamour capital or a provincial, middle-size city, they'll always choose the former no matter what.

I agree that Bach and Coventry are definitely prematurely over-egging the “Brisbane factor”. It’s not like the cities already expressing interest are the mid-range calibre of Brisbane, or were likely “inspired” by its win. It’s all just platitudes at this stage (and lately too much of that sort of marketing crap gets posted here).

That said, a successful Brisbane games would be a very important proof-of-concept in the ability of lesser tier cities to stage the games. Indeed, it’s vital to the IOC to make that achievable. But - still 10 years out from the Brizzie games and 14 out from the next in line - it’s unlikely to have an immediate effect.  More likely it’ll be after Brisbane does its job before we start seeing more smaller cities who think they could do the same put up their hands.

Also, yes, it’s always likely a glamour capital would have a edge over a provincial burg, but, hey, we’re in the “New Norm” era - they’re now open (and obliged) to pick whatever the incumbent IOC president and his inner circle on the EB think would suit their purposes at any given time.

4 hours ago, FYI said:

But that's not really the point, though. It's all well & good if smaller cities/countries *in the future* could make a play for the Olympics, but what Bach & Coventry are doing here, in essence are *already making that claim*, simply because of Brisbane's coronation. Their 'election' alone, though, is not enough to make such a declaration this early. The jury is still out, & will be out for at least a decade, just how well a smaller host can handle the Olympic Games.

It's also not like the likes of a Manchester, Lyon, Seville, Leipzig & Nashville's of the world are currently knocking down the IOC's door to host. Again, last I checked, India, Indonesia & China (which were also interested in 2032, & are again at 2036) are hardly "smaller countries" (with Qatar being the anomaly there).

And if we're talking about fair, & since you brought up Barcelona, let's remember how the 1992 Summer Games came to be ITFP. Another election with dubious circumstances surrounding it. I still say if the IOC still has a choice between a glamour capital or a provincial, middle-size city, they'll always choose the former no matter what.

In this case would Delhi, or Jakarta really would count as glamour capitals against the likes of modest well-prepared capitals like budapest, doha or even Baku? (IK that in 2036 is probable that Seoul and Istanbul, two well known glamour capitals are preparing a bid for the games, and its pretty possible that on this 4 years [counting that the elections may be done in mid 2025] berlin, rome or shanghai may also be added to that mix, killing the chances of the non-glammour options)

15 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

In this case would Delhi, or Jakarta really would count as glamour capitals against the likes of modest well-prepared capitals like budapest, doha or even Baku? (IK that in 2036 is probable that Seoul and Istanbul, two well known glamour capitals are preparing a bid for the games, and its pretty possible that on this 4 years [counting that the elections may be done in mid 2025] berlin, rome or shanghai may also be added to that mix, killing the chances of the non-glammour options)

Well, out of those you mentioned, Delhi, Jakarta and Doha are all affected by… yes, you guessed it… the “Timeframe” problem (which, yes, I know you don’t like, but like it or not, it IS a specific constraint imposed by the IOC that makes those problematic). Baku I’d hardly qualify as a “glamour” capital. Budapest is probably too politically fraught to consider right now. Otherwise, yes, an Istanbul (if it had a less problematic government), or Berlin, Rome or Shanghai would likely appear more attractive in normal circumstances to the IOC than a Lille, Manchester or Sevilla.

but who know’s what factors would influence a 2036 decision. The decision is years away. 

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Well, out of those you mentioned, Delhi, Jakarta and Doha are all affected by… yes, you guessed it… the “Timeframe” problem (which, yes, I know you don’t like, but like it or not, it IS a specific constraint imposed by the IOC that makes those problematic). Baku I’d hardly qualify as a “glamour” capital. Budapest is probably too politically fraught to consider right now. Otherwise, yes, an Istanbul (if it had a less problematic government), or Berlin, Rome or Shanghai would likely appear more attractive in normal circumstances to the IOC than a Lille, Manchester or Sevilla.

but who know’s what factors would influence a 2036 decision. The decision is years away. 

I literally catalogued baku and budapest as modest well-prepared cities. Even copenhaguen could be added to that list, the point im trying to declare is that the experience and capability of hosting big events plays a bigger role on its capacity to be chosen for the olympics, than the size of the city. Althought budapest is right now at the heart of the euro-russian controversies, it is in fact the most prepared middle-sized capital city in europe. Lowkey since a few years thay have been hosting or will host, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, waterpolo, handball and soccer tournaments and have decent sized venues and touristic infrastructure to support the event. In fact, in 2024 it dissapointed me when they abandoned the ship, I firmly believed that budapest was THE gamechanger for a sustainable profitable event (even tho it was obvious Paris was gonna get 2024)

3 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

I literally catalogued baku and budapest as modest well-prepared cities. Even copenhaguen could be added to that list, the point im trying to declare is that the experience and capability of hosting big events plays a bigger role on its capacity to be chosen for the olympics, than the size of the city. Althought budapest is right now at the heart of the euro-russian controversies, it is in fact the most prepared middle-sized capital city in europe. Lowkey since a few years thay have been hosting or will host, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, waterpolo, handball and soccer tournaments and have decent sized venues and touristic infrastructure to support the event. In fact, in 2024 it dissapointed me when they abandoned the ship, I firmly believed that budapest was THE gamechanger for a sustainable profitable event (even tho it was obvious Paris was gonna get 2024)

Yeah, I’d love to see Budapest host. It’s on my personal “wish list” of hosts. Just such a pity with motherf*cker Orban in charge.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Yeah, I’d love to see Budapest host. It’s on my personal “wish list” of hosts. Just such a pity with motherf*cker Orban in charge.

Isn't Orban the driving force behind bidding for a lot of these sporting events? Seems to me that without him cosying up with sporting federations there'd be a drop off. 

22 minutes ago, ulu said:

Isn't Orban the driving force behind bidding for a lot of these sporting events? Seems to me that without him cosying up with sporting federations there'd be a drop off. 

Well, I guess trashing democracy, persecuting LGBTs, costing up to Putin, stripping press freedom etc is really only a small price to pay for that.

11 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

In this case would Delhi, or Jakarta really would count as glamour capitals against the likes of modest well-prepared capitals like budapest, doha or even Baku? 

I wouldn’t classify Delhi or Jakarta as glamour capitals anyway. More like geopolitical capitals, like Beijing was/is, in the sense of where the Olympics are concerned.  

And even in that case, with all things being equal, I’d still say that certain geopolitical capitals would still prevail over modest, well prepared ones, & also even the glamour capitals. All you have to do is look at the 2008 race for some perspective on that.

9 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

7 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Well, I guess trashing democracy, persecuting LGBTs, costing up to Putin, stripping press freedom etc is really only a small price to pay for that.

https://gamesbids.com/eng/summer-olympic-bids/future-summer-bids/ioc-vice-president-urges-hungary-to-bid-for-olympic-games/

You were saying? I know that the IOC pays a lot of lip-service for wanna-be Olympic host hopefuls, like when Jacque Rogge said that Havana had “a great chance” to host an Olympics. But JAS JR. is being quite specific & accommodating here. Seems like it could be another ala 2032 setting. But who knows anymore, when the ‘new norm’ is so hush-hush & wink-wink behind closed doors now.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

It’s Not the Size That Counts

Brisbane’s success will indeed encourage more bids from candidatures other than “big cities”.

Unlike in 1984/85 when Barcelona won, the rules have now changed allowing it.

What do you mean? They were always allowed to bid. After Barcelona, we had the likes of Lille, Manchester and Leipzig bidding. How were they disallowed?

No-one said smaller cities have not bid.

What I am saying is that Since Barcelona 1992 was awarded 27 years ago, all the winning Summer bids have been from big Cities.

Smaller cities have not been awarded the Summer Games since Barcelona’s win in the mid 80s.

Big Capital Cities awarded SOGs since then have been all to Big Cities:

• 1996 Atlanta
  • 2000 Sydney
  • 2004 Athens
  • 2008 Beijing
  • 2012 London
  • 2016 Rio
  • 2020 Tokyo
  • 2024 Paris
  • 2028 Los Angeles

The opening up and disbanding of the old bidding rules with the introduction of the New Norm and Brisbane’s success will likely encourage more bids from candidatures other than “big cities”.

Perhaps, wrong choice of words.

By “allowing it” I mean that such things as:

- mandatory minimum venue capacities    have been done away with,

- the shift to using existing venues even if they are smaller has occurred with New Norm,

- new venues are actively discouraged unless a legacy use after the games can be demonstrated

- Brisbane are using community sport centres as Olympic venues in 2032

- the main athletics and ceremonies stadium is only 50,000 capacity- one of the smallest in recent decades

All this from “smaller Brisbane” will, in time,  encourage more bids from other smaller cities and regions around the world, especially once the world sees the anticipated highly successful Brisbane 2032 in 10 years time.

Lol, while Atlanta is hardly a small town, it's certainly not a "big city", either. Not in the same category as Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris & Los Angeles anyway. Even by U.S. standards, it ranks all the way down to number 36 city proper-wise. And number nine metropolitan-wise. I'd also further say that Barcelona was larger at the time of their hosting than Atlanta was in 1996 (which would be equivalent to SEQ's area population now). So technically, Atlanta was the last "small city" to host the Summer Olympics. 

The IOC can bang it's drum all they want about "inspiring" smaller cities/countries to "express interest" with Brisbane's election, but it's not like there's going to be a run of those type of cities just because of it. On the contrary, it looks like the IOC is still keen on cherry-picking what they perhaps want. See JAS JR. latest "encouragement" of Budapest. Don't see him running to Nashville, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Birmingham or Stuttgart to the same.

Some population comparisons at the time of bidding and when games awarded:

• 1986 population of Barcelona 4.6m
  • 1986 population of Brisbane 1.2m
  • 1992 SOGs won in 1986 by Barcelona

• 1990 Atlanta population 2.1m
  • 1990 Athens population 3.1m
  • 1996 SOGs won in 1990 by Atlanta
  • 2021 SE Queensland population 3.6m  (Brisbane +Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast)
  • 2032 SOGs won in 2021 by Brisbane

4 hours ago, FYI said:

On the contrary, it looks like the IOC is still keen on cherry-picking what they perhaps want.

And that’s the whole nexus of this “New Norm” - they can cherry pick whatever takes the President’s fancy. Sure, Brisbane might encourage the likes of Birmingham (UK and Alabama) to fancy their chances, but we all know if down the line they came up against the likes of New York City, which one the Future Bids Commission will be working with most fervently to move forward. 

Can we please stop the arguing childish behaviour. Brisbane have won the 2032 games and will be put on a brilliant and memorable games. There is no point whinging about it- It will not change anything. Let's all embrace the terrific Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic games!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2