Brisbane 2032

1 hour ago, SportLightning said:

That a lot of converting for the Cruise ships and schools for the 2032 games in Brisbane.

No conversion of anything is required.   I think you misunderstood.  What “conversion” are you talking about (??)

Cruise ships  simply dock in Brisbane as floating hotels during the entire period of the Games.  This has happened at many recent Olympic Games to boost accommodation.   They don’t convert anything in the cruise ships. They stay as they are.

Student Accommodation -  nil required.   existing boarding schools with existing dormitories with beds will be used for additional accommodation.  This has happened at many recent Olympic Games to boost accommodation,  including Melbourne 1956, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000 and will again be used at Los Angeles 2028 and Brisbane 2032. They don’t convert anything.

Possible Cruise Ship Berths at Brisbane 2032 ?

Given the limited capacity at the new Brisbane International Cruise Ship Terminal which was not built to dock an Olympic sized fleet of visiting cruise ships, does anyone have any idea of possible additional locations around the Port of Brisbane or further along the Brisbane River to berth these during the 2032 Games ?

In total, 30 cruise ships visited Sydney 2000 although not all of these visited the harbour city at exactly the same time. There were, however, a fleet moored at various locations around Sydney Harbour for the duration of the Games, several of which served as floating hotels.

For Brisbane 2032 considerations, here is a googlemaps link to the >>link to Port of Brisbane << on Fisherman Island but there also appears to be other possible locations further in to the Brisbane River, aside from the Cruise Terminal (?).

8GUUvq7.jpg

On 20 September 2000 and five days after Opening Ceremony, these photos from the City of Sydney Olympic photographic archives are of just some of the 30 cruise ships which visited for the Olympic Games. Brisbane 2032 can expect a similar cruise ship visitation to sunny Queensland’s capital.

DP5ezpe.jpg

UVHjbBV.jpg

Clarification on cruise ships at the Sydney 2000 Olympics  as we look at possible mooring locations for Brisbane 2032’s expected influx of visiting cruise ships :

• 30 cruise ships in total visited Sydney Harbour during the 2000 Olympic Games 
  • 9 cruise ships were moored in Sydney Harbour as floating hotels for the duration of the Games

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

With all this activity in Brisbane, more than 10 years before the Games, you can see why the IOC felt the Games were in super safe hands in Australia.

I hope so for that too as the safe games for the 2032 Olympics in Brisbane as the third time in Australia after 1956 in Melbourne and 2000 in Sydney.

Great news about Stage 1 of the Coomera Connector which when completed will assist traffic flow and pressure between Brisbane and the Good Coast in the lead-up to, during and beyond the 2032 Brisbane Olympics and Paralympics.

A much needed and long awaited piece of SEQ road transport infrastructure not specifically designed for Brisbane 2032 but from which the Olympics will greatly benefit from, given the increasing congestion on the existing highway.

11 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

SEQ road transport infrastructure not specifically designed for Brisbane 2032 but from which the Olympics will greatly benefit from

thats been the majority of the projects we have and one of the reasons we are got the games. we have all this infrastructure going in anyway - Cross River Rail, Brisbane Metro, Coomera Connector, Brisbane Live, etc 

I said this to my wife the other day - the legacy of the games is not the 2 weeks of sport. It's the infrastructure upgrades 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ulu said:

I don't see Ash extending her career all the way to 2032.

Serena Wiliams has been playing since the 1990s and turned pro in 1995.  27 years later, Serena is still playing pro tennis.

Ash Barty is only just getting started. Won French Open 2 years ago and Wimbledon last year.   Depends on how long Ash, who is still young, wants to play.

Brisbane in 10 years should be well within her career pathway and may even mark only the halfway point in her pro tennis career.

Love too if she could light the Cauldron in Brisbane as suggested by Torchbearer

56 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: I don't see Ash extending her career all the way to 2032.

No, but if she keeps playing like she is I imagine she will be lighting the cauldron as a local girl!

This is the more likely scenario.

52 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Serena Wiliams has been playing since the 1990s and turned pro in 1995.  27 years later, Serena is still playing pro tennis.

Ash Barty is only just getting started. Won French Open 2 years ago and Wimbledon last year.   Depends on how long Ash, who is still young, wants to play.

Brisbane in 10 years should be well within her career pathway and may even mark only the halfway point in her pro tennis career.

Love too if she could light the Cauldron in Brisbane as suggested by Torchbearer

Ash is a self admitted homebody and isn't obsessed with legacy like Serena is so I just don't see her being away from home all the time deep into her 30s and when she was asked about Brisbane 2032 last year she gave the impression that playing that long is not on the cards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

He will be the pick for the Paralympics....he is from Melbourne (no big deal)...

One thing about his event, in all but his last Grand Slam there are only FOUR competitors in his sport. It s barely a competition globally.

Don't know about the torch bearer yet.

Yeah. I’ve got a niece, currently fastest under-19 sprinter in NSW. She’s dreaming of making Paris, of course. But she’s already figured out she’d be too old to confidently be a serious home town competitor at Brisbane. 

Just shows the time span we’re talking about. In 1990, Cathy Freeman was still an obscure up-and-comer

Edited by Sir Rols