Brisbane 2032

the 2032 host city contract is on the Olympics website at  https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Brisbane-2032/Host-Contract/Host-City-Contract-2032-Principles.pdf

there's a few interesting clauses in it, in particular clause 14"

14. No inconsistent activities

The Hosts, the Host NOC and the OCOG hereby agree that:

a. no major event, conference, or other meeting which could have an impact on the successful planning, organising, financing and staging of the Games or their public and media exposure, shall take place in the jurisdiction of the Host City or in the jurisdiction of other local government authorities within the Host State or the Host Country hosting other competition sites or their neighbourhoods, either during the Games or during the preceding or following week, without the prior written approval of the IOC; and

b. no negotiations shall take place nor agreements be entered into, having any connection with the Games, between the OCOG and any international or supranational organisation (whether governmental or non-governmental) without the prior written approval of the IOC.

in other words the IOC has a monopoly for the entire city for the games period

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's normal - I'd be quite concerned about any city that wanted to host any other major events during an Olympics - aren't you gonna have enough on your plate?! I remember the Community Shield being shipped out to Birmingham in 2012. Thinking of that sort of thing though, what are the plans for the AFL and cricket? Iirc it took about a year to put the track into Hampden Park for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, so the Gabba will be out of action for a while...

55 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Iirc it took about a year to put the track into Hampden Park for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, so the Gabba will be out of action for a while...

considering they are tearing the whole place down anyway i can't see the run up / pack down of the games being a concern.

I can see them doing what they did in 06 when the MCG was out of action for the comm games - use alternate venues. Alan Border field for the shield cricket, Metricon for Big Bash & ODI and no BNE tests for the time its out of service

• Like 1

Accommodation for Brisbane 2032

Been looking at accommodation requirements for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games.

This is from the IOC Future Host Commission Report - Targeted Dialogue - Brisbane 2032 (p.54-55):

“The accommodation inventory shows that within 50 kms of each zone, the following room numbers currently exist:

• 21,000 rooms in Brisbane
  • 21,200 rooms in Gold Coast
  • 9,700 rooms in Sunshine Coast

Total Hotels and Serviced Apartments = 51,900 rooms

For spectators and some other client groups, 26,500 rooms in additional alternative accommodation are available:

• Brisbane 24,050
  • Gold Coast 1,250
  • Sunshine Coast 1,200

From the room inventory (51,900 rooms) there are sufficient to meet Games needs (41,000 rooms) for Games stakeholders.”

THE BUSES ARE COMING!  

As happened so successfully at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, many buses and coaches can be expected to be brought in from various Queensland locations as well as from NSW for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

These will help support the enormous operational transport needs of the Brisbane 2032 Olympics, particularly but not limited to athlete, officials and spectator transport needs as well as but daily bussing people to and from country towns to Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. 

To give you an idea, this Bus Australia gallery on their website has documented photos of some of the actual buses and coaches drafted in to support the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000.

We can also expect a similar huge fleet of country Queensland and NSW buses, coaches and drivers to be mobilised for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games, including bussing in many residents, tourists and visitors staying in country towns and cities throughout South East Queensland.

nTh2Cca.png

ia5hktK.png

6i4XjB2.png

…. and that’s only some of the photos of the massive Olympic Bus and Coach Fleet used in Sydney 2000.

For the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games, a huge fleet of buses and coaches will again be drafted in from Queensland and NSW bus and coach companies.

10 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

As I have said before, Australia doesn't waste time once we win the Games! Having the Sydney experience so recently is going to be a huge help.

Absolutely, the experience gained from the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games will be of enormous benefit to Brisbane 2032.   

• Like 1

Queensland State Rowing Centre / Wyralong Flatwater Centre

This google earth image shows the early works to establish the Queensland State Rowing Centre / Wyralong Flatwater Centre and the venue for the Brisbane 2032 flatwater rowing and canoe/kayak sprint competitions.

“Permanent upgrade works will be completed by 2026 and will be funded by the Queensland State Government”, as stated in the IOC Future Host Commission Report - Brisbane 2032.

At Games time, venue capacity will be 14,000

The venue is 1 hour 30 mins from Brisbane with athletes housed in a satellite athletes village at an existing holiday resort in Kooralbyn 40 minutes from the venue.

For spectators, the venue is 85 kms from Brisbane and 82 kms from the Gold Coast.

sXzYEXR.jpg

Google Maps route between the Wyralong Flatwater Centre and the satellite athletes village at Kooralbyn:

16AXUZY.jpg

This google maps image shows the venue location in relation to Brisbane and the Gold Coast:

kD6pXuv.jpg

9 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

Gold Coast's got several venues will be used from the 2018 Commonwealth Games to be converted for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Yes, that’s true.    Coomera Sports Centre and Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre are two that I can think of.

16 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

As I have said before, Australia doesn't waste time once we win the Games! Having the Sydney experience so recently is going to be a huge help.

as both a Rugby & Baseball fan, this makes me beyond happy. I hope the reds play at ballymore again (if only preseason games)

22 hours ago, ulu said:

H6gxf4Y.png

oqIUNld.png

2 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

as both a Rugby & Baseball fan, this makes me beyond happy. I hope the reds play at ballymore again (if only preseason games)

Yes its great to see Ballymore getting a new lease on life, then in 10 years time on the world’s biggest stage.

I remember watching the Wallabies on tv play at Ballymore back in the early 90’s when I lived in Canberra and everyone was rugby mad.

What I find interesting is all these stadiums hoping to be part of the games and redeveloping their facilities. I thought the list of venues was already decided? 

it is good for the region though because we will have more world class higher standard stadia whether they are used for the games or not. 

an example is Southport sharks who are hoping to be part of the games however I don’t know what sport they would host? 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:35 AM, FYI said:

Lol the *Summer* Olympics in 'mid-winter' sounds so Twilight Zone-ish.

For the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the weather will be near perfect for athletes, officials and visitors.

From the IOC Feasibility Assessment - Feb 2021 is this meteorological data of the weather over 20 years.

Average temperatures Brisbane:

• Max July:  71.24 F  =  21.8 C            Min July:  50.18 F  =  10.1 C
  • Max Aug:  73.76 F  =  23.2 C           Min Aug:  51.26 F  =  10.7
  • Max Sep:  78.08 F   = 25.6 C           Min Sep:   56.66 F =  13.7 C

Average rainfall days Brisbane:   July 3.3      Aug 3.8      Sep 3.8

f8c6ztA.jpg

10 years out from the Games, further on the topic of Accommodation ….

Almost 50,000 rooms secured for people who will ‘deliver’ Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games - 28 July 2021 - ABC News Australia

GVoDX3o.jpg

“Cruise ships, boarding schools, and other "alternative styles" of accommodation are among the almost 50,000 rooms already secured for Brisbane's 2032 Olympic Games guests.”

“A Gold Coast accommodation consultant has spent months securing rooms after being asked by the state government's Olympics taskforce to find 41,000 rooms to help secure the games bid.”

“Gabrielle Daniels said she had exceeded that goal and already received commitments for 48,000 rooms across Queensland, including in the south-east, Townsville, Toowoomba and Cairns.”

“Ms Daniels, who was part of the team that organised the Commonwealth Games, said rooms would be used to house people who "deliver the games" including International Federations members, sponsors, media and governing officials.”

"The International Committee required us to secure 41,000 rooms as part of the 2032 bid process and working closely with industry over the past six months we have managed to secure in excess of that amount," she said.”

"The requirement is outside of the athletes. The athletes will be housed in the athletes' village. This accommodation is for all the other stakeholder groups.”

"That's across Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, any of those key locations where events will be held, including in regional locations."

“Ms Daniels said she was currently working with more than 200 different providers to offer "different-style accommodation".

"We're working with all sorts of accommodation, so on cruise ships, in boarding schools, alternative styles of accommodation as well as the traditional hotels and motels and our strata accommodation like apartment rooms".

krmJET5.jpg