Brisbane 2032

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Interesting that no surfing venue has yet been announced for Brisbane 2032 including in their most recent document being the Questionnaire Response of Brisbane 2032 to IOC Future Host Commission.

if only there was a great surfing spot nearby.. perhaps a paradise for surfers? nah that will never work :D

• Like 1

Despite its name Surfers Paradise is a pretty mediocre beach for surfing but they could have surfing in Coolangatta (Snapper Rocks) where the Quicksilver Pro is held in non-pandemic times (the Tokyo gold medalist Italo Ferreira won it last time it was held) and is not far from my home!

• Like 1

I think it’s odds on that after this trial period as new Olympic sport that surfing will be confirmed for both LA2028 and Brisbane 2032.

The IOC just has to go through this new sport trial and review process after having had it at Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024.

For Brisbane 2032, the Burleigh Heads Open seems to indicate a popular surfing competition location down that way.

Another possbility is up on the Sunshine Coast where the Noosa Festival of Surfing is held.

21 minutes ago, ulu said:

Despite its name Surfers Paradise is a pretty mediocre beach for surfing but they could have surfing in Coolangatta (Snapper Rocks) where the Quicksilver Pro is held in non-pandemic times (the Tokyo gold medalist Italo Ferreira won it last time it was held) and is not far from my home!

Sorry yes, you’re right. I ploughed on and comoletely missed your post sorry.

Absolutely yes, Snapper Rocks would have to be top of the list of likely locations.

54 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Sorry yes, you’re right. I ploughed on and comoletely missed your post sorry.

Absolutely yes, Snapper Rocks would have to be top of the list of likely locations.

Burleigh Heads is probably the next most likely location.

• Like 1

Great progress pictures today from this Brisbane Times twitter post about Cross River Rail construction sites at the Roma Street and Wooloongabba Stations.

The Brisbane 2032 Swimming/Water Polo venue (Brisbane Arena) will be above Roma St Station and of course the Olympic Stadium (The Gabba) is at the Wooloongabba Station.

D8VJsrk.jpg

YX9QfHx.jpg

gptKKDY.jpg

afSrpZp.jpg

Governor grants Royal Assent

Her Excellency the Honourable Dr Jeannette Young PSM, Governor of Queensland, today received Mr Michael Ries, Deputy Clerk of the Parliament, for the presentation of the following  Bill to which Royal Assent was granted:

Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic Games Arrangements Act 2021 - A bill for an Act to establish an organising committee for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games and for related purposes, and to amend this Act and the Right to Information Act 2009 for particular purposes.

The granting of Royal Assent is an integral step in the legislative process. 

• Like 2

Will Brisbane 2032 become known as “the digital games”?

Quite amazing possibilities and ideas re digital and virtual reality experiences for spectators at Brisbane 2032.

Imagine as a spectator in Chicago you are “in the pool watching or participating” as part of a live digital/virtual reality experience as the actual final of the 2032 Olympic 10m platform diving competition is proceeds a half a world away at the Brisbane Aquatic Centre in Chandler.

A bit mind blowing? You bet.  

Check these two reports to find out more - highly recommended:

At least one of the five selections will be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, with a balanced representation of men and women.

Here come the quotas. :rolleyes: How do they intend to have a balanced representation of men and women with five selections?

1 hour ago, FYI said:

"You seem to have a weird sense of ownership over this thread just because you live in (B...)." <_<:rolleyes:

Melbourne.   Melbourne is where I live, not Brisbane.

Although I would love to live in Brisbane or in many beautiful locations around Queensland.

But that does not stop me being a passionate fan of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in other locations such as Brisbane 2032, Los Angeles 2028 or Paris 2024 in each of those threads.

If Paris' city-style opening ceremony is a success, might Brisbane consider the idea? Would it even be feasible? 50,000 in a rebuilt Gabba is rather small for ceremonies. Not saying it would become a trend after Paris, but could Brisbane do it? I'm not familiar enough with Brisbane's layout to determine whether or not they'd have the space for it.

Brisbane's centre seems rather built-up. It lacks the large squares Paris can offer due to its history as a royal residence. Rather than taking on the idea of the Seine ceremonies, they might take a closer look on what LA plans for 2032. Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba are located on different ends of the CBD, so having one for the formal part and one for the artistic part of the ceremony with some outdoor stuff happening in between could be somewhat reasonable. (Though LA has to prove that a two-stadium ceremony can end up looking fluent and coherent, before.)

Just now, munichfan said:

Brisbane's centre seems rather built-up. It lacks the large squares Paris can offer due to its history as a royal residence. Rather than taking on the idea of the Seine ceremonies, they might take a closer look on what LA plans for 2032. Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba are located on different ends of the CBD, so having one for the formal part and one for the artistic part of the ceremony with some outdoor stuff happening in between could be somewhat reasonable. (Though LA has to prove that a two-stadium ceremony can end up looking fluent and coherent, before.)

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the two stadium ceremony plan for LA has been scrapped with SoFi Stadium poised to host both opening and closing ceremonies, but perhaps Brisbane could try dual ceremonies with the respective stadiums mentioned.