German Olympic Committee presidential candidate considers 2030 Winter Games bid

GBModerator

Presidential candidate for the German Olympic Committee (DOSB) Thomas Weikert last week announced his interest in launching a bid to host the 2030 Olympic Winter Games. Germany’s Rhine-Ruhr region had entered into dialogue with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the 2032 Summer Games but efforts were derailed when in February Brisbane in Australia […]

The post German Olympic Committee presidential candidate considers 2030 Winter Games bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

This could be interesting, the recognition that the winter games probably offer the best chance of Germany getting an Olympics soonest suggests maybe the new president is a bit more shrewd than the old one. A practical, supported German bid would surely eliminate the 2030 field (with Sapporo wavering), and give Salt Lake a clear run at the games they actually want - the problem is support, it probably knocks out Bavaria...where else is there? Are the hills in Baden Wurttemberg big enough?

6 hours ago, GBModerator said:

Presidential candidate for the German Olympic Committee (DOSB) Thomas Weikert last week announced his interest in launching a bid to host the 2030 Olympic Winter Games. Germany’s Rhine-Ruhr region had entered into dialogue with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the 2032 Summer Games but efforts were derailed when in February Brisbane in Australia […]

The post German Olympic Committee presidential candidate considers 2030 Winter Games bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Little update: the politician withdrew his candicacy due to the current turmoil in DOSB. Weikert is clear fave to win the vote now. 

At least he seems smarter than the dilettant current DOSB leadership, though a 2030 bid is likely DOA. The IOC would love to see it, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FYI said:

At this point, wish Germany would put up another bid, regardless of summer or winter. Any serious German attempt, the IOC would surely devour it like a bunch of fat guys at the buffet table.

If they're going to bid for the 2030 Olympics, might want to mention what city (or cities) would host?  We've seen various iterations of what they'll offer up for a Summer Olympics.  Not so much for a Winter Olympics

17 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

If they're going to bid for the 2030 Olympics, might want to mention what city (or cities) would host?  We've seen various iterations of what they'll offer up for a Summer Olympics.  Not so much for a Winter Olympics

I think Weikert's comments regarding a WOGs bid are nothing more than political posturing. 

32 minutes ago, stryker said:

I think Weikert's comments regarding a WOGs bid are nothing more than political posturing. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're only mentioning that to further discussion of a summer bid.  Hosting in 2036 might be something of a dubious centennial for them to be connected to, but I could definitely see them going after that and potentially try to make the same back room deal with the IOC there that Australia wound up doing for 2032

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Munich is the only option. Close enough to the mountains, basically 100% venue infrastructure in place.

Just the tiny problem with public opinion…maybe the city itself can be swayed into bidding if next year’s multisports European Championships are a success, but some of the mountain regions are a completely different world (as can be seen by strong resistance to Covid vaccinations in those areas right now).

I keep saying 2018 was the golden opportunity…though the IOC probably considered PC as a platinum opportunity instead. 

And 2030 might be the final chance before climate change makes skiing in the lower Northern Alps completely impossible or at least unreliable. But I really can’t see it - btw, Fencing 76 is getting roasted today in German media about his Peng call. That’ll not exactly help the IOC’s standing here.

39 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I keep saying 2018 was the golden opportunity…though the IOC probably considered PC as a platinum opportunity instead. 

Hindsight is always 20/20, & if the IOC could go back to that vote, they probably would've voted for Munich instead. But talk about maybe "owing" an Olympics to a previous repeat bidder, but 2018 was PC's third, consecutive attempt (losing their previous two bids by such narrow margins), while it was Munich's first. The 2018 PC bid team certainly didn't play the "you owe us" card, but they certainly played the emotional one (not to mention the prospect of opening up more of Asia to winter sports). And at the time, that is what resonated & compelled many of the voters. As a neutral observer, I certainly understood that plea.

I've also said before, that I think the IOC's real golden opportunity was electing Salzburg for the 2014 Winter Olympics, instead of the ultimate candidate that won & put the IOC in much of the mess that they find themselves in today. The Austrian's were offering up a low-cost, sustainable Winter Games in one of the Alps most majestic settings. But the IOC was more interested in a sub-tropical outpost that was offering up platinum suitcases instead. 

• Like 1

Just FYI: according to their coalition agreement in the “sports” chapter, the incoming German government (social democrats/green/(neo-)liberals) pledges support for future Olympic bids, provided there is timely involvement/participation of the public.

In other words: if a bid wants government support, it needs to hold a referendum, as I understand it.

• Thanks 1