Public to run along Oly marathoners! Are they nuts or what?

Orange to sponsor public marathon at Paris 2024 (insidethegames.biz)  

Really?  :blink:   Will the IOC sanction this madness?  

How about the walk races?  

Can I join the IOC meetings as well?  

Can I be the final lighter of the Flame . . .  or 300 hundred of us?  

I think Estanguet is absolutely NUTS!  

9 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

While I’m not a native speaker, “on the same day” quite clearly does not imply “at the same time”. They will obviously run after the Olympic race, under the sponsor’s banner instead of the rings.

I sort of thought of that -- but that also means that track officials, volunteers, and security won't be able to close down the course for another extra 5-6 hours.  So if the Olympic runners start at 8 or 9 AM to avoid the heat -- what?   They will have the amateur runners running at 11:00am - staggered into 3-4-5 hours right in the hottest hours of the day?  So you have spared the elite runners the hottest hours of the day, but you will subject the more amateur runners to the harsher hours?  Okay, Medecins Sans Frontieres, please be on standby.  

How can they run the marathon "under the sponsor's signs" when Olympic venues are supposed to be free from advertising of any sort? 

Or after the last Olympic runner has left, they have the teams immediately putting up the "Orange" banners and signs along the course?  Screw all the motorists of Paris for 7-8 hours?  :wacko:  Hello?  

NBC and the world's major broadcasters won't carry the "common man's race."  It's not an Olympic event.  So probably only the un-licensed local channels will broadcast this event.  How exciting is that?? 

I bet this whole gonzo concept is going to float like a lead balloon.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well...

Paris has an average summer temperature of about 5°C less than Tokyo for starters, and it's not as humid. And as you pointed out, there would need to be a break to put up the sponsor banners etc. So it might not be unreasonable to have the elite race in the morning and the public race in the late afternoon, given that it will be bright until late.

The roads of Paris are also not Olympic venues as such - there was plenty of advertising visible in Sapporo as well obviously. As for the motorists...Paris is turning more and more into an inner city cycling paradise, and any major marathon requires parts of the city to be shut down anyway (which resulted in some embarrasing problems during Sunday's German elections when some Berlin polling stations did not have enough ballots which got stuck in traffic because of the marathon going on as well).

Public races are never prime time fodder anyway, so who cares if NBC will broadcast that or not?

At least they're trying to float some ideas how to make the Olympics more palatable to the broader public, something the IOC has not understood itself yet.

I understand what Estanguet is trying to achieve.  However, on one hand --

1.  Why is he trying to diminish the rarity and specialty of running an Olympic marathon?  It's really NOT for everyone.  And all the cities in the world have their shot at staging their mass marathons anyway on one day or another.  So why cram another one on the Men's day?   

2.  Is it really necessary to stage it on the Closing Day of the Games?  Really?  Towards the PM, the attention of the LOCOG and everyone else is on the Closing.  Time to bring down the curtain -- and then you have this other distraction going on??  

3.  Logistically, I don't see it working out. 

But based on all his "open" events ideas, I hope he and his team have a competent grasp on the SUPER-COMPLICATED logistics they are setting up for themselves.  We haven't even heard from the IAAF and the IOC.  Paris 2024 just seems to go ahead and announce their intentions wily-nily. 

To be fair, this not just something they’ve announced on the fly. The naming of a sponsor is the only new announcement. The idea of a public marathon after the medal event has been touted by Estanguet for quite some time. The IAAF and IOC will have long given it their blessing.

As to the sponsorship itself, I guess (like the torch relay) it’s one of those grey areas. It’s something that takes place around the games, but can be claimed to not be part of official Olympic competition.

I think it’s quite a laudable idea. As Stefan says, it’s a concrete effort to boost broader public support. And doing something concrete to help the Games inspire grassroots sports participation - something just about every games touts but is usually more just marketing mantra and wishful hoping.

7 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Gold Coast held a fun run parallel to the Marathon I think (maybe 10km)??

Could be done, but don't know why you would add extra complication to your city in the middle of hosting 30 plus World Championships.

More or less how I see it as well.

Not fussed either way. Not convinved it'll build public support as I guess most of the people inclined to run marathons will be pro Olympics anyway and the people who are anti Olympics will see this as an extra burden. It'll probably harden existing opinions if anything.

Paris' public support was always pretty high anyway.

But if they want to stage a public marathon on the last day and give themselves even more to do, fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Someone probably needs to finally tell Estanguet to knock it off with his whacky, out in left-field ideas already.

That'll happen when they test these things and find out the HIGH attrition of volunteer drop-outs.  Do they even look at past Games?  Or are "crowd-control experts" and the like, purposely shut out of the planning?   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 5 weeks later...

I really fail to see what value the 2024 Pour Tous marathon adds to the Olympic marathon earlier that day.  It will just dilute the attention which would normally be paid to the Olympic winner.  If I were a marathon-wannabee for 2024, I would be glad if I was a female so I wouldn't have to deal with that other distraction on the day I am running.  

Quel concept vraiment stupide.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

I really fail to see what value the 2024 Pour Tous marathon adds to the Olympic marathon earlier that day.

As of now, the marathon is little more than one of 300+ events to take place during an Olympics. Add the amateur marathon and this suddenly becomes a huge media stunt. Every broadcaster will take their chance to feature some heart-warming stories of runners fulfilling their Olympic dream. The Olympic Champion just has to pose for a photos with the fastest amateur, et voilà, every headline will be his.

4 hours ago, munichfan said:

As of now, the marathon is little more than one of 300+ events to take place during an Olympics. Add the amateur marathon and this suddenly becomes a huge media stunt. Every broadcaster will take their chance to feature some heart-warming stories of runners fulfilling their Olympic dream. The Olympic Champion just has to pose for a photos with the fastest amateur, et voilà, every headline will be his.

2 thoughts: 

1.  So, only 1 public marathon, but 2 winners- femme and homme?  What about the transgender runners?  

2.  And if the amateurs posted FASTER times than the Oly champ??  :wacko:  Shameful.  

Estanguet is just complicating his slate more than necessary.  BUt, it's his show.  

On 12/27/2021 at 2:11 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

2 thoughts: 

1.  So, only 1 public marathon, but 2 winners- femme and homme?  What about the transgender runners?  

2.  And if the amateurs posted FASTER times than the Oly champ??  :wacko:  Shameful.  

Estanguet is just complicating his slate more than necessary.  BUt, it's his show.  

I'd add to that this is going to send security costs even further through the roof than they already are.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

I'd add to that this is going to send security costs even further through the roof than they already are.

On that course which was already used earlier, probably not much.  And on these courses, they are staffed by many volunteers.  And I am sure the OCOG is totally aware of this.