At least six regions in Russia are interested in hosting 2036 Olympic Games

GBModerator

As many as six Russian cities could be considering applications to host the Olympic Games in 2036 according to local reporting. In August Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov informally triggered a domestic race by stressing an urgency for interested regions to step forward. “Several cities have already submitted their bids, so don’t drag out your […]

The post At least six regions in Russia are interested in hosting 2036 Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

2036 Olympics:  

Crowded field of interested parties keeps growing

2036        Interested Parties

Media Reports

Ahmedabad, India

14 Jul-21: Olympic Bid: Two agencies in fray to create roadmap for Ahmedabad – Times of India

Berlin, Germany and     Tel Aviv, Israel

16 Apr-21: German officials expresses support for a Tel Aviv-Berlin Olympics in 2036

Budapest, Hungary

**3 Sep-21:  “Budapest 2032 Committee" officially renamed as Hungarian capital continues pursuit to host Olympic Games

Chengdu and Chongqing, China

**27 Nov-20: Chengdu, Chongqing planning joint bid for 2032 Summer Olympics

Doha, Qatar

**6 Mar-21: Doha digs in its heels as it watches 2032 Olympic bid slip away to Brisbane

Florence, Bologna, Tuscany and Emilia Romagna, Italy

21 Jul-21: Florence, Bologna, Tuscany and Emilia Romagna, Italy

Guadalajara, Mexico

Guadalajara, Mexico City, Tijuana, Monterrey, Mexico

Jakarta, Indonesia

23 Jul-21: Indonesia to bid for 2036 Olympics after 2032 failure

Russia:

6 regions interested

Rostov-On-Don

Vladivostok

Perm

Novosibirsk

Sochi

Ufa

At least six regions in Russia are interested in hosting 2036 Olympic Games - 27Sep2021 - Gamesbids.com

Istanbul, Turkey

**14 Jul-21:  Istanbul Mayor launches bid for 2036 Olympic Games

England:

4 cities interested

London - Birmingham - Liverpool - Manchester

4 May-21: Khan targets 2036 or 2040 Olympic and Paralympic bid if re-elected London Mayor

Olympic hosting ground looms after Tokyo - 24Sep2021 - Bolly Inside

Madrid, Spain

Madrid enters the race 2036, or not?  - 24Sep2021 - Bolly Inside  

Montreal - Toronto, Canada

3 Feb-21: Montreal and Toronto, Canada’s new Olympic bet

Olympic hosting ground looms after Tokyo - 24Sep2021 - Bolly Inside

Rhine Rhur, Germany

**12 Jul-21: German Olympic Bid Embraces Flexibility

South Korea and North Korea

**4 Sep-21: Koreas Push 2032 Olympics for IOC Consideration-Updated

** Assumed to be remaining in Continuous Dialogue from 2032

• Like 1

We've discussed St Petersburg plenty as a viable option so I will discuss the others.

Per the article, Sochi views itself as an emergency bid option only for the summer games, so we can bin that one.  

Kazan is viewed by many as the number three cultural capital of Russia.  But that said, the infrastructure is just not there currently.  It would have to be a considerable investment to turn Kazan viable.  But of the other cities brought up, I would grade it as the most viable of the others.

Perm?  Really?  Why not use Yekaterinburg if you are going to the Urals?  That one is just super confusing to me.  That one is again a totally "from scratch" effort.  Sounds like per the article, they are more focused on attracting smaller events.  Perhaps they recognize the reality here.  

Rostov on Don, again, I do not know much about the city, but being a staging area for invasions into Ukraine is not a good look.  Putting that in a bubble and isolating it though, again, same problem as Perm.  What does Rostov offer in terms of legacy?  Is it a "sexy" city?  Not at all.  It has the appeal of the American equivalent of Tulsa.

Vladivostok, okay, completely unlikely, and yeah this is one that would literally need a Sochi building from scratch, but there are perhaps a few minimal strengths to their intent, as incredibly unlikely as it is.  It would sincerely revolutionize and revitalize (.....or......vitalize) the city.  Any infrastructure built there would sincerely be needed because traffic is apparently terrible there The Far East is something that has been strategically important to develop to Putin, and this would at least slightly show that "hey guys, you actually are part of Russia, we see you and we are aware you exist".  Finally, the city itself is at least set in a visually pleasing location with hills, trees, and near the ocean.  More than can be said about Ufa, Rostov on Don, or Perm.  That said, a Vladivostok bid is inviting defeat and Im not sure would even beat out an India or Jakarta bid.  

I don't think any of those aforementioned cities have much of a hope.  It would need to be a full-on regional bid of Kazan, Ufa, Perm to have a hope and a prayer, but even then, I am not seeing it.

Basically........if its not St. Petersburg, it is going to require a "from scratch" Sochi level of development, and Im not sure that's what the IOC is about right now (at least for the summer games.  I get the feeling Sochi will be in the grab bag of 2038 or later though for the winter olympics).

additionally, Kazan (1.2 mil), Perm (just over 1 mil), Rostov on Don (1.1 mil), Ufa (1.075 mil), and Vladivostok (800,000) are either below......or barely at the 1 million people mark.  That is less than half of Brisbane (2.5 million), which will be the smallest city to host the summer games in over 80 years (Helsinki).  Just to enhance the unlikeliness.  Thats never gonna beat out an Istanbul or a Budapest.  It may........mayyyyy be competitive with a Jakarta or Doha.  

St Pete or bust for Russia.  That said, St Petersburg would be a very appealing site.  

For those in the know, out of Ufa, Perm, Vladivostok, or Rostov-on-Don, which would be the most "prepared" in terms of infrastructure already there?

The question is whether the bid race is still at the earliest stage, in which case Russia will select a city to go to the IOC with intention to stand up against other international candidates, in which case hello St Petersburg, or whether the IOC have already told Russia "2036 is yours, just tell us which city you want" in which case it's Vlad's decision and all bets are off (except Perm... literally what is that?). From the IOC language around Russia being rehabilitated now and Lavrov's language when talking about it, I think it's almost certainly the latter of those that's true, so 2036 is going to wherever Vlad wants to show off most...

^^^ if it is that scenario, and I wouldnt put my chips on the table against that possibility, then why wouldnt Putin put in St Petersburg?  Its where he grew up, its his old stomping grounds, its an internationally recognizable city, and its got the infrastructure in place.  It would be a great excuse to upgrade that diabolical airport they have too (what a horrible thing to greet you first entering the country, wow.  Luckily the city itself makes up for that).  Im not sure he would have much affection for any of the other cities.  Finally, hes shown he LOVES fortifying the "big two" and making them international class cities at the expensive of provincial cities, with Sochi being a notable exception.

• Like 1

I think Moscow can still be at play here, even though it's not being mentioned this early yet. In the end, Putin can just thrust it to the front of the line, it's his center playhouse, afterall. And he can keep tabs on everything very close by. But St. Petersburg, by far, is definitely leaps & bounds ahead of any of the others mentioned (which really are just fodder). It has to be one of those two. Let's get back to countries putting their best foot forward please, & no more of these third/fourth, no-name tier cities. 

So what is the angle at play here for so many other cities bidding here when St Petersburg is abundantly the obvious choice.  Does this line coffers in particular to anyone?  Where does that money trail go?  If it goes outside of Russia, 6 cities bidding and throwing money at them is, well, a nice display of gratitude to the IOC, but I admittedly dont know anything about that process.  Or even if it is internal and the money stays in Russia, who primarily gets it?

As Baron indicated the other day, those other Russian no-namers might be trying to at least go after some Olympic soccer matches. 

Also, sometimes these cities that have absolutely zero chance, try to throw their name out there as merely a publicity stunt to attract some international business. For example, like when Florida's CEO (jimmy what's-his-face) tried to sell to the IOC earlier this year, that they can step in at the last minute if Tokyo 2020ne was to be cancelled. :lol: 

Or when Las Vegas tried to go rogue several years back, without the USOC's approval, that they wanted to be an Olympic host. These cities don't have much to lose, but perhaps plenty to gain, when they play those cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FYI said:

I think Moscow can still be at play here, even though it's not being mentioned this early yet. In the end, Putin can just thrust it to the front of the line, it's his center playhouse, afterall. And he can keep tabs on everything very close by. But St. Petersburg, by far, is definitely leaps & bounds ahead of any of the others mentioned (which really are just fodder). It has to be one of those two. Let's get back to countries putting their best foot forward please, & no more of these third/fourth, no-name tier cities. 

If moscow gets to host expo 2030 in their grounds, count on russia, choosing moscow as THE bidding city, specially taking into accound the momentum the bid would take in 2025, during the expo osaka-kansai 2025

Novosibirsk is now part of the party.  Theyre Russia's third or fourth largest city.  I think they jostle between Yekaterinburg for that title regularly.  That said........still only 1.5 million people.  Only slightly more realistic than Vladivostok, Perm, and Rostov-on-Don

Novosibirsk is capable of hosting 2036 Olympic Games, Government official claims (insidethegames.biz)

Is there normally this much interest from all over Russia in the Olympics, or does the presence of the likes of Perm and Rostov thinking they've got a chance suggest the IOC has told Russia that whoever their candidate is will be the preferred bidder. If they have been told that, then if the "New Norm" means anything, especially the whole thing about "creating less losers", then the IOC should be open and say so. Otherwise you're dragging countries and cities around the world into a process with no chance of success yet again. 

26 minutes ago, yoshi said:

If they have been told that, then if the "New Norm" means anything...

If they have been told that, then by definition the "new norm" means nothing. It'd be Bach handing a Games to his bestie Putin and any talk of carefully selecting cities and working within their needs can be safely laughed at as a fiction.

I would very much hope this suggestion of yours is fanciful.

It might well be a fiction - I hope it is, of the cities that have said anything about it I hope Madrid wins. It might well be that this level of interest isn't unusual, and it's just Russia running a domestic bid process in the way that many other countries have down the years, especially the USA. What makes me suspicious is that by definition, you run a process like that to find the city most likely to win in international competition, which doesn't really make sense if the system used to select Brisbane is used again - with its emphasis on the IOC and the city effectively doing a deal. 

I'm pretty sure the IOC has NOT told Russia it is their preferred bidder. Even Vlad's best buddy (Fencing, 1976) isn't foolish enough to give away his biggest prize so easily especially when it is still 15 years down the road and Russia is very much an incalculable entity.

There's a lot of posturing going on, I remember well in the few days between Beijing's annoucement to bid and the Munich referendum, there were already many reports here saying "Oh look, the Chinese are bidding, so they'll anyway win and give the IOC what it wants". This might have discouraged a few Munich supporters back then. And this time, having all this talk about all these Russian cities interested may very well be an attempt by Russia to discourage others early on already.

It's not a fait accompli for now, but if more people are believing it is, then it will be. And that might be the aim of all this.