Opposition rises, pushes for referendum to stop Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Winter Olympics bid

GBModerator

Sigh…

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

John Coates is the Australian Olympic Committee President and was a key figure in the Bids for the 2000, 2028 and 2032 Games as the NOC President in his country.

Brisbane’s interest in the 2028 Games began in 2015 and wholly within Agenda 2020 which was introduced by the IOC in 2014.

Brisbane’s latest efforts to land the Games first started in 2015 when the Mayors of South East Queensland got together with a Pre-Feasibility Study of a potential South East Queensland bid for the 2028, later switched to 2032.

Since then the bid contunually rolled along with further studies, gathering support of all three levels of governments and the main opposition political party, the general public, right through the New Norm announcement in 2018 and then COVID in 2020.

Six years in the making.

• John Coates is also one of four IOC Vice-Presidents.
  • John Coates did not participate or vote in the Future Host Commission nor in any IOC Executive Board assessment or deliberations or recommendations resulting from the Future Host Commission about 2032 candidatures in the Continuous Dialogue phase nor the later Targeted Dialogue phase.
  • Any President of a National Olympic Committee would be expected to be heavily involved in a Bid from their own country whether or not they have a position in the IOC, whether they are an IOC Member, Vice-President or President.
  • The IOC procedures are very clear around this and those procedures were enacted.

John Coates, as required by the IOC:

• stood aside and did not participate nor was a member of the Future Host Commission,
  • he was not involved in the elevation of Brisbane to the Targeted Dialogue phase as he is not a member of the Future Host Commission,
  • as a member of the IOC Executive Board he was not allowed to participate or be present on the decision to recommend the Brisbane candidature to be put for a Host Vote in Tokyo,
  • he was allowed to be present or vote in any deliberations by the EB or the IOC Full Session Vote in Tokyo in July.

You’ve just repeatedly posted the above piece three times in this thread. And variations of it beyond that. That’s textbook spamming. And in a thread nominally supposed to be about Barcelona-Pyrenees to boot. 

Listen mate. I/we get it that you feel defensive about Brisbane’s win. I get it you feel a bit put upon by reactions here to your postings in its defence. And, hey, I’m also happy Brisbane was elected. I think it will make a good host. I’ve also posted in its defence. But I do have some caveats.

For one, I might have been happier if it had won 2052 instead of 2032 - I feel the Olympics should be a once in a lifetime thing for a country like Oz. But, hey, I’m still happy we can grab those hosting winswhen we can.

For two, I share the qualms of many people about how it was “elected”. Now, while I don’t buy-in to the narrative of dismissing the choice as “criminal” or “corrupt”, I think there’s a lot to be concerned about with the process, and the very fact that there are such reactions to it underlines just how problematic the “New Norm” of selections is and can be. It’s all very trite to dismiss such concerns as “conspiracy theories”, but this new process is ripe for allowing such theoriesto emerge and thrive. And it’s not just a few members here with an axe to grind expressing such concerns - as FYI noted, it’s also respected Olympic media writers, including this site’s owner/editor, who’ve pointed out such concerns:

BidWeek: The IOC thought they could steal the Brisbane 2032 Olympics and hoped we wouldn’t notice

BidWeek: Brisbane’s 2032 Olympic non-bid. Will they even open an envelope?

Liam Morgan: Olympics heading to Brisbane after secretive and opaque bid process

David Owen: Inside Thomas Bach’s virtual IOC echo-chamber

There’s good reasons to have suspicions and concerns about the process that delivered Brisbane 2032, and members here have the right to express them. Just as you, and I of certain aspects, have the right to try and refute such claims. But, just a word of advice, there’s a reason why spamming the exact same lines over and over is frowned upon in most forms of social media. It doesn’t help to advance your arguments, it comes across as hectoring more than trying to persuade or debate.   

Anyway, not that I mind tropic drift or thread hijacking too much, but it really has deviated from the Barcelona/Pyrenees focus. Though I’d guess that topic alone wouldn’t have lasted long or spilled to a second page.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Sigh…

You’ve just repeatedly posted the above piece three times in this thread. And variations of it beyond that. That’s textbook spamming. And in a thread nominally supposed to be about Barcelona-Pyrenees to boot. 

Listen mate. I/we get it that you feel defensive about Brisbane’s win. I get it you feel a bit put upon by reactions here to your postings in its defence. And, hey, I’m also happy Brisbane was elected. I think it will make a good host. I’ve also posted in its defence. But I do have some caveats.

For one, I might have been happier if it had won 2052 instead of 2032 - I feel the Olympics should be a once in a lifetime thing for a country like Oz. But, hey, I’m still happy we can grab those hosting winswhen we can.

For two, I share the qualms of many people about how it was “elected”. Now, while I don’t buy-in to the narrative of dismissing the choice as “criminal” or “corrupt”, I think there’s a lot to be concerned about with the process, and the very fact that there are such reactions to it underlines just how problematic the “New Norm” of selections is and can be. It’s all very trite to dismiss such concerns as “conspiracy theories”, but this new process is ripe for allowing such theoriesto emerge and thrive. And it’s not just a few members here with an axe to grind expressing such concerns - as FYI noted, it’s also respected Olympic media writers, including this site’s owner/editor, who’ve pointed out such concerns:

BidWeek: The IOC thought they could steal the Brisbane 2032 Olympics and hoped we wouldn’t notice

BidWeek: Brisbane’s 2032 Olympic non-bid. Will they even open an envelope?

Liam Morgan: Olympics heading to Brisbane after secretive and opaque bid process

David Owen: Inside Thomas Bach’s virtual IOC echo-chamber

There’s good reasons to have suspicions and concerns about the process that delivered Brisbane 2032, and members here have the right to express them. Just as you, and I of certain aspects, have the right to try and refute such claims. But, just a word of advice, there’s a reason why spamming the exact same lines over and over is frowned upon in most forms of social media. It doesn’t help to advance your arguments, it comes across as hectoring more than trying to persuade or debate.   

Anyway, not that I mind tropic drift or thread hijacking too much, but it really has deviated from the Barcelona/Pyrenees focus. Though I’d guess that topic alone wouldn’t have lasted long or spilled to a second page.

It’s called the broken record technique.

Politics and who wants it and who doesnt gets pretty interesting, though I could certainly make a compelling case that of the irony of ironies, it seems to be right leaning political parties and individuals who are for the Olympics.  Primary examples would be Mitt Romney for SLC, and wasnt the whole last second Milan-Cortina effort also a right leaning Italian party?

13 hours ago, WD96 said:

I already get the fact that Coates is a controversial figure.

Well, good for you. But obviously, someone else around here, doesn't get that fact at all. Hence, the forum discordia at times. 

12 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Topic drift is certainly not unique in the history of GamesBids, that's for sure. But it drifted when the Barcelona/Samaranch - Brisbane/Coates parallel was made, (& then you- know-who got triggered). So not totally out in left field. But as you said, I don't think the initial topic would've gone much longer, either. 

15 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

John Coates is the Australian Olympic Committee Presid3nt and was a key figure in the Bids for the 2000, 2028 and 2032 Games as the NOC President in his country. The 2028 bid began in 2015 and wholly within Agenda 2020 which was introduced by the IOC in 2014.

Brisbane’s latest efforts to land the Games first started in 2015 when the Mayors of South East Queensland got together with a Pre-Feasibility Study of a potential South East Queensland bid for the 2028, later switched to 2032.  Since then the bid contunually rolled along with further studies, gathering support of all three levels of governments and the main opposition political party, the general public, right through the New Norm announcment in 2018 and then COVID in 2020.  Six years in the making.

John Coates He is also one of four IOC Vice-Presidents but did not participate or vote in the Future Host Commission nor in any IOC Executive Board assessment or deliberations or recommendations resulting from the Future Host Commission about 2032 candidatures in the Continuous Dialogue phase nor the later Targeted Dialogue phase.

Any President of a National Olympic Committee would be expected to be heavily involved in a Bid from their own country whether or not they have a position in the IOC, whether they are an IOC Member, Vice-President or President.

The IOC procedures are very clear around this and those procedures were enacted.

• stood aside and did not participate nor was a member of the Future Host Commission,
  • he was not involved in the elevation of Brisbane to the Targeted Dialogue phase as he is not a member of the Future Host Commission,
  • as a member of the Executive Board he was not allowed to participate or be present on the decision to recommend the Brisbane candidature to be put for a Host Vote in Tokyo,
  • he was allowed to be present in any deliberations or Votes by the EB or the IOC Full Session Vote in Tokyo when the Games were Voted on.

No one hereis saying that he was the man who elected brisbane, he doesn't have that power. We are saying that he was the man that told the the IOC to elect brisbane, he does have that influence.

14 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

John Coates is the Australian Olympic Committee President and was a key figure in the Bids for the 2000, 2028 and 2032 Games as the NOC President in his country.

Brisbane’s interest in the 2028 Games began in 2015 and wholly within Agenda 2020 which was introduced by the IOC in 2014.

Brisbane’s latest efforts to land the Games first started in 2015 when the Mayors of South East Queensland got together with a Pre-Feasibility Study of a potential South East Queensland bid for the 2028, later switched to 2032.

Since then the bid contunually rolled along with further studies, gathering support of all three levels of governments and the main opposition political party, the general public, right through the New Norm announcement in 2018 and then COVID in 2020.

Six years in the making.

• John Coates is also one of four IOC Vice-Presidents.
  • John Coates did not participate or vote in the Future Host Commission nor in any IOC Executive Board assessment or deliberations or recommendations resulting from the Future Host Commission about 2032 candidatures in the Continuous Dialogue phase nor the later Targeted Dialogue phase.
  • Any President of a National Olympic Committee would be expected to be heavily involved in a Bid from their own country whether or not they have a position in the IOC, whether they are an IOC Member, Vice-President or President.
  • The IOC procedures are very clear around this and those procedures were enacted.

• he was not involved in the elevation of Brisbane to the Targeted Dialogue phase as he is not a member of the Future Host Commission,
  • as a member of the IOC Executive Board he was not allowed to participate or be present on the decision to recommend the Brisbane candidature to be put for a Host Vote in Tokyo,
  • he was allowed to be present or vote in any deliberations by the EB or the IOC Full Session Vote in Tokyo in July.

Love how when you stop having arguments to defend you point of view, you just start copy-pasting random info. anyway, why are you so obsessive about defending brisbane 2032, the new bidding process and john coates reputation?

6 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Love how when you stop having arguments to defend you point of view, you just start copy-pasting random info. anyway, why are you so obsessive about defending brisbane 2032, the new bidding process and john coates reputation?

Because he‘s a troll who should be ignored. I certainly don‘t interact directly anymore, waste of time.

19 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Love how when you stop having arguments to defend you point of view, you just start copy-pasting random info.

That's called Confirmation Bias.

20 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

anyway, why are you so obsessive about defending brisbane 2032, the new bidding process and john coates reputation?

Because acknowledging otherwise, it somehow dilutes Brisbane's "win". It's much akin to how when Trump refused to acknowledge Russian interference in the 2016 election, because doing so, would admit that his "election" was somehow tainted. And that was a complete no-no on his so-called logic.

32 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

No one hereis saying that he was the man who elected brisbane, he doesn't have that power. We are saying that he was the man that told the the IOC to elect brisbane, he does have that influence.

That logic perpetually falls on deaf ears, as long as the Brizzy blinders & 'new norm' cut-&-paste hysteria remain in effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Because he‘s a troll who should be ignored. I certainly don‘t interact directly anymore, waste of time.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

That's called Confirmation Bias.

Because acknowledging otherwise, it somehow dilutes Brisbane's "win". It's much akin to how when Trump refused to acknowledge Russian interference in the 2016 election, because doing so, would admit that his "election" was somehow tainted. And that was a complete no-no on his so-called logic.

That logic perpetually falls on deaf ears, as long as the Brizzy blinders & 'new norm' cut-&-paste hysteria remain in effect. 

As the saying goes, put up or shutup.

Put up some evidence of this wild stupid conspiracy theory that John Coates directed to the entire International Olympic Committee to elect Brisbane for 2032.

The reality is there is nine and you literally cannot stand,  cannot cope, when someone has a directly opposing view to your own.

Like Old Faithful, and in lieu of any evidence of a John Coates led conspiracy, you continually always roll out this tired “confirmation bias” line because you literally have no evidence and no examples of your wild conspiracy theories.

For the record, Trump is the biggest narcissistic idiot and conspiracy theorist of all.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

As the saying goes, put up or shutup.

Put up some evidence of this wild stupid conspiracy theory that John Coates directed to the entire International Olympic Committee to elect Brisbane for 2032.

The reality is that you have no evidence of a John Coates led conspiracy in the election of Brisbane 2032.

You literally have no evidence and you don’t like it when you are challenged on this.

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

It’s called the ‘broken record technique’ and it is used when someone continually bleats about the same nonsense over and over again.

In response to you over and over again peddling of this ridiculous conspiracy theory about John Coates somehow directing the entire IOC to elect Brusbane, then you will get the same response over and over again.

4 minutes ago, Nacre said:

If only there were a thread on the Brisbane Olympics in 2032 for people to post this stuff in . . .

14 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Those who wish to post or complain about Brisbane 2032,or the role played by John Coates  etc are invited over to post on the 

Brisbane 2032 thread - click here for an express ride.

I already tried that.

There’s a handful of obsessed John Coates conspiracy theorists who refuse to shift the topic over to the Brisbane 2032 thread.

26 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

and you literally cannot stand,  cannot cope, when someone has a directly opposing view to your own.

Do you look in the mirror when you spew this hypocritical nonsense? Cause if you don't, then you seriously need to. 

30 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Like Old Faithful, and in lieu of any evidence of a John Coates led conspiracy, you continually always roll out this tired “confirmation bias” line because you literally have no evidence and no examples of your wild conspiracy theories.

For the record, Trump is the biggest narcissistic idiot and conspiracy theorist of all.

Several articles from respected Olympic news sources were posted for you up-thread about such examples. But as usual, & much like Trump's MO, you refuse to even acknowledge them, because that'll just open up a can worms that you can't close back up, & expose the "new process" for what it really is.

34 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

It’s called the ‘broken record technique’ and it is used when someone continually bleats about the same nonsense over and over again.

LOL - oh, the irony in this sentence here.

40 minutes ago, Nacre said:

If only there were a thread on the Brisbane Olympics in 2032 for people to post this stuff in . . .

It's not much of a thread over there TBW, when anything to the contrary gets drowned out by the Brizzy press release squad anyway (although, that pretty much happens with every thread now, when a certain someone can't stand opposing views that challenge their drivel). 

And again, it's not like thread drift is so darn rare on this website anyway. It's wasn't that far off base. This incessant thread policing by some members here gets a little tired too. 

7 minutes ago, FYI said:

Do you look in the mirror when you spew this hypocritical nonsense? Cause if you don't, then you seriously need to. 

Several articles from respected Olympic news sources were posted for you up-thread about such examples. But as usual, & much like Trump's MO, you refuse to even acknowledge them, because that'll just open up a can worms that you can't close back up, & expose the "new process" for what it really is.

LOL - oh, the irony in this sentence here.

It's not much of a thread over there TBW, when anything to the contrary gets drowned out by the Brizzy press release squad anyway (although, that pretty much happens with every thread now, when a certain someone can't stand opposing views that challenge their drivel). 

And again, it's not like thread drift is so darn rare on this website anyway. It's wasn't that far off base. This incessant thread policing by some members here gets a little tired too. 

Why don’t you move this discussion to the Brisbane 2032 thread.

This thread is about 2030 Pyranees-Barcelona.