Ukraine President tells IOC that his nation will launch bid to host the Olympic Winter Games

GBModerator

Precisely.  Lviv is very much a cultural identity capital, and certainly much closer to the mountain venue.  The ski/snowboard venue would have to be Bukovel.  No other option, and that would require a Sochi level ground-up kind of investment.  I think my previous estimate of 20-30 billion was generous.  Im thinking more legitimately 35-40 billion.  It would absolutely be a "from scratch" effort.  That much I agree with.  Furthermore, I absolutely agree that it would be completely 1000 percent contradictory to  Project 2020.  Even With all of that said........I could still see the IOC getting behind it because, well, look at the organization we are talking about here.  Would anyone really.......really be surprised?

You could literally create a high speed network in Ukraine connecting Odessa, Lviv, Kyiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Kharkiv with that money and itd be exponentially be more valuable to the people but.........  ex Soviet states never pass up a good grafting opportunity.  That much is certain.  

As far as a 'warzone" and war talk, didn't stop South Korea with North Korea, who constantly threatened "nuclear war" with South Korea during the buildup.  I know there's the very real aspect of sniper warfare going on 1650 kilometers east of Lviv, and thats super awful, but...........its 1650 kilometers east of Lviv.  

North Korea & South Korea are apple & oranges compared to Russia & Ukraine, though. NK is controlled by a silly despot, while South Korea is a rich & democratic nation. Russia OTHO, is controlled by a very powerful, clever & conniving dictator, while Ukraine is weak, both politically & economically. So there's really greater risk with the latter. scenario.

But Putin is also smarter.  Clever and conniving are absolutely true.  He will posture his forces, but he knows full well the next time he moves in on Ukrainian territory, little green men or not, hes getting cut off from SWIFT and the Russian Federation is basically Iran in an instant. The United States goes into full on hybrid war and starts posting bank account information of Putin and his inner circle, and other humiliating hacks to destabilize their government.  Any city in the peripheral that becomes a staging area for Russian troops is instantly a valid target for "everything-but-hot war" (most likely Rostov and Voronezh).  That includes electronic warfare, power shut offs, rail sabotage, etc conducted by SAS, Green Berets, Delta Force, and Navy SEALS with Ukrainian uniforms and insignia.   Obviously if this happened, yeah, theres no winter Olympics, lol.  But frankly, there wouldnt be an Olympics anywhere either because it would be a Hybrid World War at this point.  nobody wants this.   It would go south very fast.  Putin knows this.  He does not want this. 

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

But Putin is also smarter.  Clever and conniving are absolutely true.  He will posture his forces, but he knows full well the next time he moves in on Ukrainian territory, little green men or not, hes getting cut off from SWIFT and the Russian Federation is basically Iran in an instant. The United States goes into full on hybrid war and starts posting bank account information of Putin and his inner circle, and other humiliating hacks to destabilize their government.  Any city in the peripheral that becomes a staging area for Russian troops is instantly a valid target for "everything-but-hot war" (most likely Rostov and Voronezh).  That includes electronic warfare, power shut offs, rail sabotage, etc conducted by SAS, Green Berets, Delta Force, and Navy SEALS with Ukrainian uniforms and insignia.   Obviously if this happened, yeah, theres no winter Olympics, lol.  But frankly, there wouldnt be an Olympics anywhere either because it would be a Hybrid World War at this point.  nobody wants this.   It would go south very fast.  Putin knows this.  He does not want this. 

obviously!