Ukraine President tells IOC that his nation will launch bid to host the Olympic Winter Games

GBModerator

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy told International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach during a meeting in Kyiv that his nation will initiate an official discussion to launch a bid for the Winter Olympics. During a meeting held on the sidelines of the Ukraine Olympic Committee 30th anniversary celebration in the Capital Saturday, Zelenskyy and Bach […]

The post Ukraine President tells IOC that his nation will launch bid to host the Olympic Winter Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

14 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Oh Im not laughing confidently, Im laughing nervously.  The sort of laughter you do to set yourself up for disappointment.

I was just kidding with my comment, I don't think there's actually any possibility about this bid even coming to light. It is sort of a trend in this kind of countries to say they are preparing an olympic bid, when an IOC official is visiting. Like when they said Buenos Aires would be great for 2032, or when they said mexico city would be a nice city for the same year. Nothing really official

8 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

and it absolutely has more possibility of coming true than Barcelona.  That is a straight up fact.

Also I would add that the only really official bid taking place rn is Sapporo, which seems to be on its way to be anounced shortly after Beijing's takes place as the "prefered host city" or whatever IOC now calls them. SLC is just a proposal from stakeholders, which in case they convince the government to support them, seems like they would do the same as sapporo and go for the 2034 games instead. and vancouver is barely preparing a pitch for convincing the government on supporting them

Politically potentially useful too though - a Winter Games to Ukraine to 'offset' the 2036 Summer Games in Russia, ensuring neither country/bloc gets too upset at the other one hosting the Games at all? I can certainly see the IOC taking a Russia-Ukraine tit for tat boycott as a price for securing both Games through 2036 (once you slot SLC into 34). Lviv might be a weird one, but I doubt it's one to dismiss as a no hoper, or even as mere contingency. Remember, in this race, an official announcement alone is enough to make you favourite. 

Very interesting take, and it has a point.  I can absolutely see Ukraine boycotting a 2036 games in St Petersburg, but I think Russia wouldn't do the same for a 2030 in Ukraine.  It will be a "soft power" troll job, if anything, trying to extend an olive branch to "brotherly Ukraine".  Thinking with the Russian mindset, thats exactly what they will do.  

1 hour ago, stryker said:

Forget a Russian boycott. How bout a full scale Russian invasion to annex the rest of the country to go with Crimea.

After Ukraine gets a WOGs and St. Petersburg gets the 2036 SOGs. Putin ends up with a back to back hosting. 

I laugh cynically because I know that is only halfway joking......

35 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

If they can line up enough world championships in the major sports between now and 2030 -- and I am sure the IOC will help them out financially as much as they can (plus Ukraine's new clout with Washington) -- it looks like the IOC will have their city to talk to for 2030.  

The earliest they can get any winter WC would be 2025 or so, way too late for a 2030 decision.

6 hours ago, stryker said:

Forget a Russian boycott. How bout a full scale Russian invasion to annex the rest of the country to go with Crimea.

After Ukraine gets a WOGs and St. Petersburg gets the 2036 SOGs. Putin ends up with a back to back hosting. 

Not even Bach could justify keeping 2030 (and 2036) in Putin‘s hands in such a scenario.

9 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Ukraine is a surprisingly poor part of the former Soviet Union.....about 135th in the World by GDP per capita, below even Armenia and Georgia....with the huge problem of Chernobyl taking 10 percent of their national budget every year.

That being said, Kiev is a great city, though I haven't been to Lviv!

Same, Kyiv was wonderful.  I had plans to go to Lviv but had to trim some days off of vacation before going to work.  Its still high on my to do list.  Ive heard its a great place to visit.  

My concern is, yeah, this will be Sochi Jr.  A lot of it is going to have to be built from scratch.  I can easily see it costing to the tune of 25-30 billion, and easily running over that.  It is also an invitation to graft and skim off the top, just like Sochi was.

And how would something that expensive be such a positive thing for the IOC, when such grandiose spending is what got them into trouble in the first place. It would make all their 'new norm', Agenda 2020 talk seem nothing than just hypocritical tripe on steroids. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-ukraine-border-conflict-zelensky-b1917799.html%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwiosOOh9PzyAhX9TDABHbBCAxcQyM8BegQIDBAD&usg=AOvVaw0QLJtWRIai-aaG2Nks_fid&ampcf=1

So less than 24 hours after Zelensky says Ukraine wants to bid for a WOGs he tells the media that war with Russia is a possibility! What an idiot. The IOC shouldn't even waste their time with this one.

As for what a possible Ukraine bid might look like, Lviv is usually the first city mentioned, but why not Kiev? Kiev has at least some infrastructure in place though it would still need two 10,000 seat arenas plus a site for speed skating. Outside of a football stadium for ceremonies Lviv doesnt really have anything. Anyone know if the mountains in western Ukraine would meet the 800m vertical drop requirement?

15 minutes ago, stryker said:

As for what a possible Ukraine bid might look like, Lviv is usually the first city mentioned, but why not Kiev? Kiev has at least some infrastructure in place though it would still need two 10,000 seat arenas plus a site for speed skating. Outside of a football stadium for ceremonies Lviv doesnt really have anything. Anyone know if the mountains in western Ukraine would meet the 800m vertical drop requirement?

Kiev is far from the mountains (which I think probably fulfil the requirements), and Lviv is the cultural and tourist centre (i.e. some infrastructure already) of Western Ukraine, not exactly small at > 700k and much closer to the mountains, so for a Winter bid makes more sense.