EURO 2012

I found this:

Ukraine accuse Poland undermining 2012 bid

TEL AVIV, Jan 28 (Reuters) - Ukraine soccer federation (UFF) president Hrihory Surkis has accused Polish Sports Minister Tomasz Lipiec of undermining the two countries' chances of staging the Euro 2012 finals.

Last week Lipiec suspended the Polish Football Association after a match-fixing investigation, angering the world and European governing bodies.

'Mr Lipiec, with his actions, simply stabbed us in the back,' Surkis told Reuters while attending a six-team invitational tournament in Israel.

The $8 million tournament, involving top teams from Russia, Ukraine and Israel, is sponsored by Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

'You would believe that in his high government position, being his country's sports minister, he should refrain from doing something that would severely damage not only his own country's bid but also ours.'

Both FIFA and UEFA, who resent government involvement in soccer matters, have condemned Lipiec for his actions. FIFA also warned Poland they would be banned from international competition unless the government reversed its decision.

The joint Ukraine-Poland bid is one of three being considered by UEFA along with a solo bid from Italy and a joint bid from Croatia and Hungary.

'We had a very strong bid going, maybe the best of all three,' said Surkis, who was elected as as a member of the executive board at last week's UEFA Congress in Duesseldorf, Germany.

'I strongly believed that we were the front runners for Euro 2012 because UEFA's visiting commission was very impressed with what we have done,' he added.

'We also had the government and public support. Opinion polls taken in both Poland and Ukraine have shown that 85 percent of the population supports our bid. Would you imagine how many people would be disappointed if we failed?'

Surkis said that a proposal at the congress to increase the number of teams competing at Euro finals from 16 to 24 starting from 2012, could cause problems for Poland and Ukraine.

'Obviously it would add extra work, maybe cause some problems, but on the other hand, nothing is impossible,' he said.

'As it is right now, Poland and Ukraine would host two first-round groups each, but if they decide to go with 24 teams, each of our countries would only have to host three groups. That's not such a huge burden.'

Despite the setbacks, Surkis remained optimistic.

'I really hope that Mr Lipiec and his government would soon find a consensus with UEFA and solve the problem,' he said.

'Besides some of our rivals, Hungary and Croatia, also have problems.

'In any case, I still believe in our bid and still have hope. In the next few months we must convince everyone that not only we want Euro 2012 but, more importantly, that we are very capable of staging the competition.'

UEFA will announce the winning bid in April.

from http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...212&cc=5739

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and this:

03/02/2007 13.26

Bad Blow For Italian Euro 2012 Candidacy

UEFA are preoccupied and will ask for guarantees before the decision is made.

The alternatives are the weak candidates of Eastern Europe. But in an extreme case there will have to be found new candidates.

While it's too early to say if Italy's candidacy to host Euro 2012 ends here, but obviously the tragic events occurred at Catania are a bad blow. FIGC Commissioner Luca Pancalli admits: "It's early to talk about it. But, if they should take it away from us now, we will have deserved that." On April 18 the Uefa committee, headed by Michel Platini, will reunite in Cardiff to decide who will host the event.

But just how will the courage be found to choose a nation where, in one week, two people have died following football related incidents and all the leagues have been suspended? What guarantees does Italy have to offer Europe? Uefa's problem is another, however: the lack of a credible alternative. Turkey is not an option (due to security reasons), or Greece (who hosted the 2004 Olympics), there are two joint candidacy from Eastern Europe: Poland-Ukraine and Croatia-Hungary. But neither can, at the moment, guarantee they are able to host a major tournament.

Hungary is going through a serious political crisis with people rioting on the streets. Croatia has insufficient stadiums and factions of extremist "fans". Ukraine have structural problems and teams would have to travel huge distances, while Poland have had 60 referees arrested for corruption and the Polish FA is in a crisis. What's more, the stadiums of these four nations exist only as "projects".

Uefa may now ask Italy for absolute guarantees, special laws, assume that in five years' time something will change and maintain their consolidated positions. So what if Italy don't offer guarantees? Times are strict, going beyond April 18th will probably not be possible. In an extreme case, things could be changed around and the tournament might be offered to an entirely other country. Germany, who gave a very good impression as World Cup hosts, already candidated themselves for the 2010 World Cup and would have no problems to host Euro 2012. But also countries like Spain, England, and France would have few problems.

from http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=225502

Too much nonsenses in this article in my opinion. The big-boom is that UEFA could rethink about greece and Turkey: it would be like admitting "ok we are really stupid, but really really, so we have to cancel our past decisions...". <_<

Italy, Croatia and Hungary with violence

Poland and Italy with corruption

Ukraine without stadiums...

Mix them and you'll have Brazil and 2014 World Cup :P

Maybe Baron believes that 2012 is the time for the US to host :)

eheheh LOL...quite good situation, uh? :lol:

Anyway as a journalist said in one of the arcticles I posted, Italy seems to be the only option UEFA can trust...although it's obviously not the perfect one.

I look forward to 15th feb when the condidates have to deliver the dossiers to UEFA.

I know many of you will criticize me, but i really hope that other nations like France, Germany or England will jump in. Out of these three candidatures the Poland/Ukraine bid is my personal favorite, simply because Poland is our neighbor.

Italy should get banned from any international competitions as long as they are not able to handle the hooliganism. Like the English in the 1980s, UEFA should isolate Italy. The Italian football federation has learned nothing so far and i fear they will go on and will not change their attitude towards hooliganism.

We have to give the Italian authorities the chance to do what is necessary to tackle the problem and allow enough time to see if those reforms work. They can only really ban Italian clubs if something like another Heysel were to happen on their watch.

Speaking of Heysel, it's quite convenient that, because English clubs were banned from Europe after that final, nobody ever mentions the following three issues.

1. Why on Earth was that stadium chosen to host that match? Anyone who has seen any footage of the state it was in prior to the final, as I have, knows it was falling to bits and was totally unfit to stage a match of that prestige.

2. The police. The elite units who should have been policing that final were on leave, because of a recent visit by the Pope? Why? Instead of the people who knew what they were doing, there were police there who were not sufficiently trained to maintain control.

3. What were the Juventus fans doing? Were they really entirely innocent? We have an old saying over here that 'it takes two to tango'.

In making these points, I am in no way seeking to condone the actions of those English fans that night. But there should at least be a fully rounded discussion of why what happened happened.

I know many of you will criticize me, but i really hope that other nations like France, Germany or England will jump in. Out of these three candidatures the Poland/Ukraine bid is my personal favorite, simply because Poland is our neighbor.

Italy should get banned from any international competitions as long as they are not able to handle the hooliganism. Like the English in the 1980s, UEFA should isolate Italy. The Italian football federation has learned nothing so far and i fear they will go on and will not change their attitude towards hooliganism.

As far as I know was England itself thw one who "closed the doors" to its teams to European competitions, it was not UEFA who declared something like a ban.

Anyway, for those who can understand italian:

RELAZIONE DI PANCALLI

ALL'ESECUTIVO UEFA:

"UN INCONTRO MOLTO UTILE

RINGRAZIO PLATINI"

Roma 09/02/2007

"Un incontro molto utile per rassicurare la UEFA sulla situazione del calcio italiano, ringrazio Platini e tutto il Comitato Esecutivo per aver accolto la richiesta della Federazione italiana di essere sentiti direttamente": Luca Pancalli, commissario straordinario della FIGC, riassume così l'esito della "missione" a Nyon, insieme ai vice commissari Coccia e Riva.

All'Esecutivo della Uefa, presente Franco Carraro, Pancalli ha fatto una relazione sulle vicende degli ultimi giorni, soprattutto per spiegare come il Governo italiano, la FIGC e tutte le sue componenti, ma anche il Paese sportivo stanno uscendo da una situazione molto difficile e dolorosa, dopo i tragici eventi di Catania con la morte dell'ispettore Raciti e, una settimana prima, con l'uccisione del dirigente della Lega dilettanti Licursi.

"Ho rassicurato la Uefa -ha detto Pancalli al termine della riunione di Nyon- sulla tempestività e sull'efficacia dei provvedimenti antiviolenza assunti dal Governo, con il quale abbiamo collaborato fino in fondo, e sugli sforzi di tutto il calcio italiano per trasformare un momento così triste e drammatico in una occasione per ritrovare compostezza, unità di intenti, la voglia tutti insieme di riaprire gli stadi e non darla vinta ai delinquenti che rovinano l'immagine del nostro sport".

Il Commissario della FIGC ha illustrato poi nel dettaglio l'azione del Governo italiano: i provvedimenti di immediato effetto con il decreto legge appena varato e quelli a medio termine, in una visione programmatica, che prevede un nuovo modello di stadio, anche attraverso la privatizzazione degli impianti da affidare alla gestione diretta delle società; e poi ancora, tutte le misure previste, fino all'obiettivo di affidare - secondo il modello europeo più avanzato - agli steward delle società la sicurezza interna per ottenere che le Forze dell'ordine operino soltanto fuori dagli stadi.

"Platini e l'Esecutivo Uefa -conclude Pancalli- hanno approfondito con una serie di domande i vari aspetti del problema italiano, mi sono sembrati soddisfatti e rassicurati sulle nostre azioni e sono convinto che questo incontro sia servito a rafforzare la candidatura italiana per EURO 2012".

I do apologize with the others but i couldn't find an english version, so you gotta try with those automatic translators although sometimes they do really odd jobs. :P

Are right in votes allowed? If so Germany has 2012 in the bag.

There's no way UEFA will search other candidates for EURO2012. It would be declaring its stupidness, firstly for having pre-chosen them, secondly for having underestimate everything!

But, as I already said, it's undeniable that in this exact moment every candidate has its huge problems.

As far as I know was England itself thw one who "closed the doors" to its teams to European competitions, it was not UEFA who declared something like a ban.

As I understand it, UEFA did impose a five-year ban on English clubs, with a further three years on Liverpool, but only after the English FA withdrew their entries from European competition for the following season.

There's no way UEFA will search other candidates for EURO2012. It would be declaring its stupidness, firstly for having pre-chosen them, secondly for having underestimate everything!

But, as I already said, it's undeniable that in this exact moment every candidate has its huge problems.

Better then staying the course into a mess a la FIFA with South Africa.

My preference is Croatia/Hungary, but realistically all of these bids have major problems and it woul be better to say, Germany, Spain, France make up a bid and your the finalist because the ones we got can't get their **** together.

Better then staying the course into a mess a la FIFA with South Africa.

:P

My preference is Croatia/Hungary, but realistically all of these bids have major problems and it woul be better to say, Germany, Spain, France make up a bid and your the finalist because the ones we got can't get their **** together.

how unrealistic you are.

Sorry I thought arwebb was refered to France as I mentioned it in my previous post.

btw it's kinda impossible to call for a new entry just 60 days to the verdict.. and I doubt they would extend the date as they already did on december.

So the race it's gonna be Italy, Cr/Hu and Po/Ukr.

Archived