EURO 2012

Today was presented the masterplan for Udine's stadium "Friuli". The old stadium was built for Italia90 WC, now it's time for renovate it! :)

I think the project is fantastic. That halfmoon-sail is great and makes the stadium seem like a starwars ship! :P

441w26c3289f14sx7.jpg2m7hxf53288c96hb5.jpg

4dbrxh5328b8e5wa4.jpg2hi8oyg32988e7ah7.jpg

4gpldzk329a0f4wp8.jpg2mxn52d329b9dbwz4.jpg

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are the proposed capacities of these venues?

ehm...

Actually Udine's Friuli is ~41000 seats...as it'll be a "revamping", I think capacity will not change that much.

Nowadays Torino's DelleAlpi is ~67000, seems that the new one will be ~45000.

Genova's new one, I really donnow. Marassi (better, Luigi Ferraris, is ~40000.

Marassi/Ferraris:

genova_01.jpg

genova_02.jpg

i'm not an architect but in general it means that materials are ecological onea, the entire project has been thought with wasting as little energy as possible, and the final result will be as much eco-compatible as possible (i.e. having some solar generators to produce on its own the whole energy the stadium needs).

Better then staying the course into a mess a la FIFA with South Africa.

My preference is Croatia/Hungary, but realistically all of these bids have major problems and it woul be better to say, Germany, Spain, France make up a bid and your the finalist because the ones we got can't get their **** together.

England/Scotland/Wales would not legally be able to host Euro 2012. The Olympic Host city contract stiplulates that no other major sporting event can take place in an Olympic host country in the year of the Olympic Games. Looks like it would fall to France, Spain or Germany....I reckon France should go for it if it is reopened for new bids. They have all the 1998 venues in place and probably more now. It would also help to take the edge off having to watch London host the OG's. I don't think France has hosted a Euro Champs. since 1984...I may be wrong? When was the last time Spain hosted a Euro Champs?

So, do we think it's likley it'll be reopened to new bids?

I think they'd love to but it would be like admitting that Italy had it in the bag all along. This would leave them very exposed to accusations of done deals and wasting Hungarian/Croatian money. It'll be a tough nut for them to crack. Its hard to see how they could award this tournament to Italy given whats gone on....it would send out all the wrong signals. I think they have to re-open the bidding and be honest with Cro/Hun about their chances. In fact they could stipultae that no joint bids will be accpeted for 2012. This could be enough to bring Spain, France and Germany on board. Whether they can do this is another matter. Have UEFA signed any contracts with the shortlisted bidders?

England/Scotland/Wales would not legally be able to host Euro 2012. The Olympic Host city contract stiplulates that no other major sporting event can take place in an Olympic host country in the year of the Olympic Games. Looks like it would fall to France, Spain or Germany....I reckon France should go for it if it is reopened for new bids. They have all the 1998 venues in place and probably more now. It would also help to take the edge off having to watch London host the OG's. I don't think France has hosted a Euro Champs. since 1984...I may be wrong? When was the last time Spain hosted a Euro Champs?

I bidn't mention England, only Germany, France and Spain. England hosted in 1996.

Spain hosted last in 1964, France in 1984 and Germany in 1988

The French WC was a great tournament. I think it'd be good if it were re-opened if France did bid.

Just out of interest, what are the current proposed dates for Euro 2012 and how far are they from the London Olympics? It's not like the London games will be in late summer ala Sydney (it's 27th July - 12th August), so I'd imagine they'd be right on top of each other.

The French WC was a great tournament. I think it'd be good if it were re-opened if France did bid.

Just out of interest, what are the current proposed dates for Euro 2012 and how far are they from the London Olympics? It's not like the London games will be in late summer ala Sydney (it's 27th July - 12th August), so I'd imagine they'd be right on top of each other.

Its one of the basic stipulations the IOC insist on. I know they weren't very keen on Spain hosting EXPO'92 at the same time as the Olympics, but the Spanish got away with it because it wasn't a sporting event. Its a done deal, the host contact has been signed. There really is no chance that the government would comit any money to a bid anyway....and the FA are hardly in a position to pay for it on their own given the costs of Wembley.

Please stop masturbating your minds on who will host EURO2012 which is not in the fab3. Only IT or CRO/HUN or UKR/POL. And that's all.

BTW, for those like Ripley:

Its hard to see how they could award this tournament to Italy given whats gone on

...noone noticed that in Germany there were big problems in public order during football matches, too! Papers say that almost 800 hooligans attacked police in Lipsia. 23 policemen hurt. From when championship begun there were 4 "war-matches" Augsburg-Monaco 1860, Herta Berlino II-dinamo Dresda, Pforzheim-Mannheim e Kikchers Stoccarda-Herta Berlino.

So please noone dare teaching lessons. Thanx.

I think what Ripley was suggesting was that the Italian authorities need to show that the reforms they are proposing will work and surely even you would accept that.

well...how diplomatic are you!

IF his sentences meant that, ok i agree. I will really appreaciate a getting-better on everything around football in here.

I only don't really need teacher's lessons.

Please stop masturbating your minds on who will host EURO2012 which is not in the fab3. Only IT or CRO/HUN or UKR/POL. And that's all.

...noone noticed that in Germany there were big problems in public order during football matches, too! Papers say that almost 800 hooligans attacked police in Lipsia. 23 policemen hurt. From when championship begun there were 4 "war-matches" Augsburg-Monaco 1860, Herta Berlino II-dinamo Dresda, Pforzheim-Mannheim e Kikchers Stoccarda-Herta Berlino.

Well, if you are writing about hooliganism in Germany, please tell the truth (and use the English names of the cities in this forum, as this is no Italian forum). "War-matches", what are war-matches? Last weekend there has been hooliganism in Leipzig during the match Lok Leipzig and Erzgebirge Aue II. The next weekend, there will be no matches in Saxony (the federal state). You dont know, that hooliganism in Germany is mainly a problem in East-Germany and no match of the (First) Bundesliga has been affected.

The big difference between Germany and Italy is, that the DFB is taking the problem very seriously for years (and not only since the last weekend) and that everyone is ashamed about the events. But perhaps the most important thing: No policeman has died.

Dont put Germany on the same level with Italy. You will always fail.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, but you have to be realistic. When making its decision about Italy UEFA will have to consider two issues; firstly, even if Italian football is fine in 2012, what message does awarding such a corupt and negligent football association with its prize tournament send to those trying to rid the game of violence and coruption, not to mention the hooligans and corruptors?

Secondly, what if Italian football lurches from one crises to the another right up until 2012....are they going to play the tournament behind closed doors? It took the English FA and British government over 10 years to sort out the Game domestically. The problems in Italian football seem just as deep rooted.

Nobody would dispute that without the problems in Italian Football it is easily the best candidature in terms of sporting passion and infrastructure....but I'm not sure that this is enough on its own to counteract the severity of the problems.

Anyway, its not up to me....its UEFA you have to worry about. ;)

Dont put Germany on the same level with Italy. You will always fail.

Agreed. The first have always lost against the second. :D (j/k)

btw the hooliganism in our national fans HAS NEVER EXISTED, unlike certain european countries.. in an international tournament as the Euros, Italy will express its better and largest side of fans anyway.

Right now you have all rights to dismiss the italian footbal CLUBS system after what happened in CAtania and before but please come back to our sense and give us a chance that we would deserve.

Til now only Ripley and a few have expressed good points.. as the rest..

P.S: Today is the last useful time to present the official candidacy to UEFA.

btw the hooliganism in our national fans HAS NEVER EXISTED, unlike certain european countries.. in an international tournament as the Euros, Italy will express its better and largest side of fans anyway.

That sounds very much like trying to get away from the problem to me.

Get away from what? Weren't we talking about violence in football?

As Italy, it must be admitted that our national fans never known the hooliganism or any kind of violence unlike the club fans. That's all.

Just because the hooligans don't appear to have travelled to overseas championships, that does NOT mean that the problem doesn't exist and you would do well to recognise the problem and discuss the problem rather than try and score a particularly cheap point.

Archived