Biennial World Cup plans: Uefa threatens World Cup boycott as Coe joins chorus of disapproval

Rob2012

Fifa’s radical plans to stage a biennial World Cup came under attack hours after they were officially unveiled on Thursday – with the World Athletics president, Sebastian Coe, warning of growing anger across Olympic sports and Uefa’s president, Aleksander Ceferin, saying the proposals could “kill football”.

The Premier League joined 36 other European leagues in signing a statement stating they were “firmly and unanimously opposed” to Fifa’s proposals for a new international calendar which would see a major international tournament every summer, with the World Cup and Euros in alternate years.

Arsène Wenger, Fifa’s head of global development, has suggested that a biennial World Cup could begin in 2028, weeks before the Los Angeles Olympics is due to take place.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/09/uefa-ceferin-threatens-world-cup-boycott-as-sebastian-coe-joins-chorus-of-disapproval

• Sad 1

The root problem, and maybe something that should've been followed-up after the 2015 FBI raids, is that the sporting regulator is also a major tournament organiser. Not hugely unusual in sporting federations around the world but once we start getting to the level of $$$ FIFA deals with it becomes a problem and is open to corruption and manipulation that isn't good for the game.

There's quite a strong case for FIFA to be split into two - a regulator that looks after the calendar, laws etc and has no commercial interests; and an organisation that organises World Cups.

As it is at the moment, there's huge temptation for FIFA to alter the calendar beyond recognition to suit their commercial interests above others'. That's what we're seeing now.

38 minutes ago, Rob. said:

There's quite a strong case for FIFA to be split into two - a regulator that looks after the calendar, laws etc and has no commercial interests; and an organisation that organises World Cups.

Is there any example of a sport where this split exists? I guess it‘s the same in at least all Olympic federations. In the past 2-3 decades handball, athletics, aquatics moved to biennial World Champs, mostly aiming at higher visibility and thus revenue while at the same time filling up the calendar to a level that it becomes almost unsustainable for the athletes.

Of course football and thus FIFA is unrivaled in its commercial value, so I doubt anyone will ever rein them in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, StefanMUC said:

Is there any example of a sport where this split exists? I guess it‘s the same in at least all Olympic federations. In the past 2-3 decades handball, athletics, aquatics moved to biennial World Champs, mostly aiming at higher visibility and thus revenue while at the same time filling up the calendar to a level that it becomes almost unsustainable for the athletes.

Of course football and thus FIFA is unrivaled in its commercial value, so I doubt anyone will ever rein them in.

Not sure if this counts but I believe ITTF separates their world tour organizing to this thing called WTT

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1094512/ittf-world-table-tennis-explanation

Also I'm curious here, could FIFA lighten up their role in the Olympics? I always wanted FIFA to focus on Futsal and Beach Soccer for the Olympics to help lighten the already stressing calendar, since it works pretty well in YOG or European Games, it might have a shot in Olympics if IOC can be convinced

• 4 weeks later...

IOC breaks its silence and takes a stand against FIFA’s plan for a World Cup every two years - 16Oct21 - Around The Rings

“The International Olympic Committee (IOC) broke its silence on Saturday about FIFA’s plan to hold the World Cup every two years, and did so to clearly position itself against Gianni Infantino’s idea.”

“IOC supports the calls for a wider consultations on FIFA’s World Cup plans and shares concern”, reads the statement published after the IOC’s executive board meeting in Athens.”

0I8Ohav.jpg

Eeeek, that's really really serious if it gets to "the darts stage". I must admit, maybe I'm blinded by the fact it's Arsene Wenger's name on it, but I'm really quite surprised by just how visceral the opposition has been in Europe, almost on a ESL scale - I'm not saying I'm in favour of a biennial World Cup, the four years cycle for all sport works well so there'd be so much to sort out - but I would've thought there'd at least be some consideration of it - especially the one window for international games idea which I think should be adopted, change to the cycle or not...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...