Tokyo 2020 chief ready to accept lead role if Sapporo 2030 wins Winter Olympic bid

GBModerator

Just hours after the flame was extinguished on the spectatorless and pandemic-postponed Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, ending the eight year effort to organize two major quadrennial events including the Olympic Games, organizing committee Chief Seiko Hashimoto has put her hand up for more. Hashimoto said she is willing to embrace the proposed Sapporo 2030 Winter […]

The post Tokyo 2020 chief ready to accept lead role if Sapporo 2030 wins Winter Olympic bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Some posturing perhaps? IMO, the key bit in this article is the "increased public consultations." A good move no doubt, but given the blowback towards Tokyo, I don't expect the Sapporo public to be too keen on the idea and the promise of an Olympics with full stadiums is not a great selling point. Having said that, I don't think it will even get to that point. With the PM's resignation and an impending wipeout on the horizon for the his party in the upcoming national elections, I expect the new PM to cancel this bid relatively quickly.

Another comment that intersted me and wasn't commented in the article was the "If possible in the very near future we would hope that Japan could host the Summer Games as well.". Let's admit it, everyone in the Tokyo organizing commitee wants to organize the games again. Because they want another chance to do the things right. It seems like they don't really want to recognize that it was their idea to create a non festive, non spectacular, depressive aura for the overall games (it wasn't pandemics fault, see superbowl and euro 2020). Even though I defend the effort made for organizing the games in the middle of the pandemic, we have to be objective and accept the fact that 2020 olympics were a failure, and it wasn't because of the pandemic, japan government issues messed up tokyo olympics. Organizers have to accept the fact that olympics are once every four years, and was propably a big chance to show themselves to the world. However, I do think japan has a big chance of hosting winter olympics in 2030 if they want, but in order for them to work, they will have to change their mindset and no sell to japanese people a redemption of a failed games, but a completely different event. I think that if they really want to make up for the opportunity they lost, a better idea is to organize an independent multisport festival in the next years, and maybe house athletes in a cruiseship or in hotels. Even if they decide to bid for 2036, they would be a step ahead of their rivals, and give a better image to an IOC needed for better bidders than russia, turkey and india. But this is all a what if... Anyway only time will tell if investing 15 billion dollars on a fortnight tv only event was really a good idea, and if japan games really helped them to open to the world the way they always wanted.

3 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Another comment that intersted me and wasn't commented in the article was the "If possible in the very near future we would hope that Japan could host the Summer Games as well.". Let's admit it, everyone in the Tokyo organizing commitee wants to organize the games again. Because they want another chance to do the things right. It seems like they don't really want to recognize that it was their idea to create a non festive, non spectacular, depressive aura for the overall games (it wasn't pandemics fault, see superbowl and euro 2020). Even though I defend the effort made for organizing the games in the middle of the pandemic, we have to be objective and accept the fact that 2020 olympics were a failure, and it wasn't because of the pandemic, japan government issues messed up tokyo olympics. Organizers have to accept the fact that olympics are once every four years, and was propably a big chance to show themselves to the world. However, I do think japan has a big chance of hosting winter olympics in 2030 if they want, but in order for them to work, they will have to change their mindset and no sell to japanese people a redemption of a failed games, but a completely different event. I think that if they really want to make up for the opportunity they lost, a better idea is to organize an independent multisport festival in the next years, and maybe house athletes in a cruiseship or in hotels. Even if they decide to bid for 2036, they would be a step ahead of their rivals, and give a better image to an IOC needed for better bidders than russia, turkey and india. But this is all a what if... Anyway only time will tell if investing 15 billion dollars on a fortnight tv only event was really a good idea, and if japan games really helped them to open to the world the way they always wanted.

I wouldn't count on any serious interest from Japan for a SOGs until the 2040s or even the 2050s. Tokyo surpassed Sochi as the most expensive Olympics in history and they footed the bill for most of it not to mention the financial losses which have yet to calculated. I just can't see any marketing pitch even with a cooling off period that would resonate with the Japanese public or the Constitutional Democrats. Why would they spend yet more money after breaking the bank in Tokyo?

4 minutes ago, stryker said:

I wouldn't count on any serious interest from Japan for a SOGs until the 2040s or even the 2050s. Tokyo surpassed Sochi as the most expensive Olympics in history and they footed the bill for most of it not to mention the financial losses which have yet to calculated. I just can't see any marketing pitch even with a cooling off period that would resonate with the Japanese public or the Constitutional Democrats. Why would they spend yet more money after breaking the bank in Tokyo?

I mean, Japan is the 3rd richest country in the world, and they literally have ALL infrastructure in place, also I think that it would be easier to think about japanese people wanting olympics again after the pandemic is over

22 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

I mean, Japan is the 3rd richest country in the world, and they literally have ALL infrastructure in place, also I think that it would be easier to think about japanese people wanting olympics again after the pandemic is over

Wealth alone, while important for financing purposes, doesn't quite hold the weight that current economic conditions do. Look at Rio. At the time, it's economy was booming and coming off a successful Pan Am Games. When considering Sapporo, it's important to remember Japan's economy was in recession when covid hit, and a lot of money has had to be spent on fighting the pandemic that could otherwise have been injected into the economy. It's going to take a while for recovery. Factor in resurgent outbreaks especially among new variants and they can bring economic recovery to a halt very quickly (see what's happened in the U.S. in August). The pandemic isn't going to be over for a while and I don't think the memories of the most expensive Olympics with one of if not the biggest financial loss is going to be forgotten anytime soon, especially with a likely new government that wanted the Tokyo Olympics cancelled anyway.

It's like buying a car. You buy a car (say a Ford) and you have to spend a lot of money on upkeep, maintenance, and more repairs than you expect. When it comes time to buy a new one, the IOC is like the Ford dealership saying "yeah we know the one didn't work out, but we promise this one will be different." Most car buyers would say they are going with a different make and model. Call it buyer's remorse.