Why 'Milan Cortina'?

Admittedly haven't really followed this very closely - why are these Games being packaged as 'Milan CORTINA'? Milan is such a global name - surely that would suffice? And its not like previous Winter Olympics haven't been somewhat cohosted-eg Vancouver and Whistler. Likewise 2032 won't be Brisbane-Gold Coast. 

Pick one! I like consistency. 

Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Admittedly haven't really followed this very closely - why are these Games being packaged as 'Milan CORTINA'? Milan is such a global name - surely that would suffice? And its not like previous Winter Olympics haven't been somewhat cohosted-eg Vancouver and Whistler. Likewise 2032 won't be Brisbane-Gold Coast. 

Just a thought. 

Probably to offer up a connection to a past host.  Sure, Milan has a lot of name brand recognition, but Cortina resonates in Olympic circles.  

Wouldn‘t surprise me if the IOC had a hand in this (and wasn’t the other one Stockholm-Åre, after all) to stress the „regional“ approach that is made possible by the wonderful „Agenda 2020“.

There‘s quite some distance between Milan/Cortina (at least on current traffic links), far more than Vancouver/Whistler if my memory from my one trip to Canada serves me well. 

3 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Wouldn‘t surprise me if the IOC had a hand in this (and wasn’t the other one Stockholm-Åre, after all) to stress the „regional“ approach that is made possible by the wonderful „Agenda 2020“.

There‘s quite some distance between Milan/Cortina (at least on current traffic links), far more than Vancouver/Whistler if my memory from my one trip to Canada serves me well. 

According to Google maps, the drive from Vancouver to Whistler is about 1:43.  From Milan to Cortina is 4:41, so that's much further apart.  And yes, I think the IOC is definitely encouraging more regional bids rather than to put a label on a city.  Remember, as has often been repeated here, the IOC requires that the name on the marquee has to be the city where the ceremonies are held.  Except in 2014, where the Olympic park wasn't actually in Sochi, it was in Adler.

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

According to Google maps, the drive from Vancouver to Whistler is about 1:43.  From Milan to Cortina is 4:41, so that's much further apart.  And yes, I think the IOC is definitely encouraging more regional bids rather than to put a label on a city.  Remember, as has often been repeated here, the IOC requires that the name on the marquee has to be the city where the ceremonies are held.  Except in 2014, where the Olympic park wasn't actually in Sochi, it was in Adler.

Then Verona should be up there instead of Cortina.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Just a thought. 

The Milano Cortina 2026 Games are spread far and wide over several different regions:  Milan, Valtellina, Cortina, Val di Fiemme requiring 6 Olympic Villages.

Milan: Ice hockey 1 and 2, figure skating, short track
Valtellina: Alpine skiing (men), freestyle skiing, snowboard.
Cortina: Alpine skiing (women), bobsleigh/luge/skeleton, curling, biathlon (Antholz)
Val di Fiemme: Cross-country skiing, ski jumping, Nordic combined, speed skating
• 14 competition venues (13 existing or temporary)
• 6 Olympic Villages: Milan, Cortina, Livigno, Bormio, Val di Fiemme and Antholz
• Opening Ceremony: Giuseppe Meazza Stadium (San Siro, Milan)
• Closing Ceremony: Verona Arena

On 9/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, Australian Kiwi said:

Just a thought. 

Could've been worse.  Can you imagine Gotthelffriedrichsgrund - Garmisch-Partenkirchen 2026?  :wacko:

And that's not even considering Thai entries.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1112888/xi-draghi-call-milan-cortina-2026

I've questioned how Italy is ever going to pay for the Olynpics given the state of their economy. Given that Italy has joined China's Belt and Road initiative much to the rest of the G7's dismay, I do wonder if the groundwork is being laid for construction of Olympics infrastructure with Chinese labor and Chinese funding. 

If you're not familiar with the BRI it is more or less international racketeering. China goes into a country, usually from the developing world, agrees to fund and build infrastructure, but with loans that have such exorbitant interest rates, they can never be paid back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stryker said:

I've questioned how Italy is ever going to pay for the Olynpics given the state of their economy. Given that Italy has joined China's Belt and Road initiative much to the rest of the G7's dismay, I do wonder if the groundwork is being laid for construction of Olympics infrastructure with Chinese labor and Chinese funding.

These Olympics are less of a national and more of a regional project. Northern Italy and especially Lombardy are highly developed economies with stable publlic finances - they can easily pull this off without foreign interference. Especially since there is not that much to be built and spent on for these games, anyways.

As for the double naming, I can follow the argument of the IOC laying focus on the regional approach. One must not forget, however, the amount of pride Italians have for their home towns and regions and also the history of how this project developped. Public and politicians in Veneto and Cortina have probably ensured at an early stage they get proper recognition and are not just listed as Milan's "little co-host".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...