Hungary renames failed Budapest 2032 Olympic bid in quest to host a future edition of the Games

GBModerator

Budapest remains on course to host a future Olympic Games despite missing out on the 2032 edition when Brisbane was named the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) ‘preferred candidate’ only weeks after the Hungarian capital signaled its intention to join the race. This week the Hungarian Olympic Committee renamed the Budapest 2032 Committee – an organization […]

The post Hungary renames failed Budapest 2032 Olympic bid in quest to host a future edition of the Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

• Thanks 1

Funny that they do this while this is happening…

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1112454/budapest-2023-world-athletics-vote

And before anyone cries foul about the Green or leftie Nolympians, the alliance of Orbán and the Chinese is clearly toxic and any way to show this is fine with me. If need be, Coe will still find a replacement host.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stryker said:

If they can't sort out the IAAF worlds, then then an Olympics is out of their league

Absolutely.  

Lord Sebastien Coe, IAAF President and perhaps a future IOC President, will not be impressed that Hungary have dumped the World Athletics Championships …  a stunningly foolish move by Hungary for it’s Olympic Games aspirations.

16 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Absolutely.  

Lord Sebastien Coe, IAAF President and perhaps a future IOC President, will not be impressed that Hungary have dumped the World Athletics Championships …  a stunningly foolish move by Hungary for it’s Olympic Games aspirations.

As usual, you did not understand. Hungary have not dumped anything. The city of Budapest has withdrawn its support for the WC in a political row with Orbán. The event can still go ahead, even though that is practically less feasible now. Plus: there‘s a plan to have a referendum still.

Hungary‘s (i.e. Orbán & cronies) Olympic ambitions are foolish altogether at this point in time anyway, and don‘t start again with any New Norm bs here please.

5 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

As usual, you did not understand. Hungary have not dumped anything. The city of Budapest has withdrawn its support for the WC in a political row with Orbán. The event can still go ahead, even though that is practically less feasible now. Plus: there‘s a plan to have a referendum still.

As I said, Hungary have dumped their support for the World Athletics Championships …  a stunningly foolish move by Hungary for it’s Olympic Games aspirations.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

As I said, Hungary have dumped their support for the World Athletics Championships …  a stunningly foolish move by Hungary for it’s Olympic Games aspirations.

As I said, you didn‘t understand anything.

Budapest, not Hungary dropped its support.

You can make that distinction, but a potential stand off between the city the PM over this isn't exactly great for Budapest. All these things could make a difference.

That said, '36 is a long way off and I'm sure Orban will fix things how he wants. :lol:

And of course, London handed back a Worlds and was awarded the Olympics the year they were meant to host them. As with all these things, it's not a problem if the IOC doesn't want it to be, it's a reason/excuse if they want to go somewhere else.

But whatever the case, this is definitely a potential black mark if it's not quickly sorted.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 2

Maybe the mayor of Budapest just has a different list of priorities for his city where an Olympic bid is not high up.

Shocking idea on a forum like this, but there‘s folks out there thinking it‘s just not worth doing this - especially when your political opponent is a corrupt fascist who would benefit from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Maybe the mayor of Budapest just has a different list of priorities for his city where an Olympic bid is not high up.

Shocking idea on a forum like this, but there‘s folks out there thinking it‘s just not worth doing this - especially when your political opponent is a corrupt fascist who would benefit from it.

Absolutely, I don't think AustralianFan is arguing otherwise. I'm certainly not. Solely from the pov of Budapest's Olympic aspirations, however, this kind of political row with the IAAF sitting on the sidelines isn't going to help.

I don't know if I'd go quite as far as to say "stunningly foolish", and as you say that depends on priorities as much as anything, but it's not great.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

How to cook your eighth Olympic campaign with a s—t show

Cooking Instructions:

• add one world athletics championship
  • announce interest in also hosting an Olympic Games
  • add one fascist national leader
  • fold in one liberal capital city mayor
  • pour in a domestic political fight over student housing
  • add a generous sprinkle of political in-fighting
  • mix in a threat to withhold support for the world athletics championships
  • put it all aside, let it the mixture rise and fester
  • hope that the IAAF and the IOC don’t notice

1 hour ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Bit harsh to say they failed to cross the finish line when the starting gun was fired when only Brisbane had been invited to the track.

Sorry mate, that’s bs.

The whole bloody world was “invited to the track” 3 years ago on 3 Feb 2018 when the the New Norm changes was announced and the starter’s gun went off.

Brisbane took off from the starting blocks and were never headed.  Brissie went into over-drive for the next 3 years ticking all the boxes.

What were the other 2032 candidatures  doing all that time?  Asleep?  Some literally were.

After 3 years of the new rules, there was only one applicant - BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA -  who had ticked all the new boxes at that point in time on 24 February 2021.

Brisbane was elevated from Continuous Dialogue to Targeted Dialogue.  

Brisbane’s rivals were not excluded mate.  They were just slow out of the blocks  (or still in bed).

Brisbane’s rivals just did not, or could not, tick all the boxes - that’s on them.

It’s not Brisbane’s fault they left everyone else in the dust and that none of their rivals were elevated.  

For once, Australia was not the underdog but the hot favourite all the way to the finishing line 3 years later when the landslide IOC Vote awarded the 2032 Games to Brisbane.

Their rivals will learn a good lesson from this first new era election for next time -  move your arse.