2028 Euros

On 3/23/2022 at 7:45 PM, Rob. said:

You would think the UK/Ireland bid would be massive favourite after we cleared the path for Spain/Portugal 2030. It's pretty clear a deal has been done, but whether it holds and whether Boris manages to Boris things up between now and the vote we'll have to wait and see.

eeeeeessshhh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Probably the best way to do it - good to see it's finally settled. I'd still rather have a Women's World Cup here or a men's one if one was available - it feels like Euro 2020 was a home tournament really for England and Scotland - & I still think the 5 country hosting plan is far better suited to a World Cup than the smaller Euro but it'll be a great event even so :)

12 hours ago, SportLightning said:

All five Host team will not earn automatic qualification, since it's most likely to have two automatic qualification spots.

From my understanding, all the host nations will go into qualifying as normal, but if none of the host countries automatically, the best two host countries would get the two automatic spots.

There is a possibility that all five host nations qualify, but for that to happen three out of the five have to go through in order to ensure it happens. 

According to the Telegraph, the Opening Match will be at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, with six games being held in Scotland and Wales and five in Northern Ireland, the semi finals and finals will be held at Wembley.

Scotland and Wales would host a quarter final match each, but Casement Park will not host games beyond the Round of 16.

This would leave the remaining 28 games being split across the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Villa Park, Etihad Stadium, St James Park and Wembley.

• 3 months later...

Quite a lot of media coverage this week speculating about whether the intended Belfast venue for 2028, a redeveloped Casement Park will actually go ahead and what might happen if it doesn't. 

The Times - Euro 2028 organisers fear Casement Park won’t be ready

Publicly, the Irish FA are still talking a good game and it may be that the restoration of the Northern Ireland Executive that is widely expected to proceed this weekend can help in that regard. But even if it does go ahead, it's still controversial among Northern Ireland football fans notwithstanding the fact that it's the only game in town in terms of Northern Ireland being able to play tournament games at home in 2028. I really hope that we don't get to the point of games being reallocated but discussion of this sort in the press doesn't bode well.

• Thanks 1

Oh good, Kate Hoey sticking her oar in again. At least she's back talking about N.I. now. She was an incredibly bad fit as a London MP, especially since the Brexit vote. Also, anyone else remember this?

https://gamesbids.com/eng/other-news/london-doesnt-deserve-2012-games-says-former-sports-minister/

Anyway, Casement Park is obviously the biggest potential headache for Euro 2028 organisers, but I also note that Aston Villa have scrapped (they say 'paused' but it doesn't read that way) their major stadium expansion. So I guess their chances of hosting anything beyond the group stages is now dead.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-heck-delivers-major-villa-28315873

Edited by Rob2012

I would have thought Villa Park would get a last 16 game but, even if the expansion were going ahead, I doubt it would have secured them a quarter-final anyway. If we assume that both semi-finals and the final will be at Wembley, then I would have thought the most likely quarter-final venues would be Cardiff, the Etihad Stadium, Tottenham and either Hampden or Dublin (probably Hampden), with three of them offering bigger capacities than Villa Park. There's also been talk about increasing capacity at the North Stand end of Villa Park for years without anything moving forward.

17 hours ago, arwebb said:

There's also been talk about increasing capacity at the North Stand end of Villa Park for years without anything moving forward.

Sure, but as far as I can work out this was taken more seriously than a "nice to have if it happens". The capacity for Villa Park is listed as 52k+ in all the bid documents for Euro 2028. You'd think there would've been some reasonably firm commitments from Villa to the FA, and from the FA to UEFA for them to list it at that capacity.

Much like Villa fans themselves, I'm not sure the FA and UEFA will be too thrilled about this decision.

On 2/6/2024 at 3:11 PM, Rob2012 said:

Sure, but as far as I can work out this was taken more seriously than a "nice to have if it happens". The capacity for Villa Park is listed as 52k+ in all the bid documents for Euro 2028. You'd think there would've been some reasonably firm commitments from Villa to the FA, and from the FA to UEFA for them to list it at that capacity.

Much like Villa fans themselves, I'm not sure the FA and UEFA will be too thrilled about this decision.

I understand the point and I can't see that they would be either, partly because Villa have planning permission to go ahead with the expansion and the argument being put forward for not proceeding with it by this recently arrived executive who doesn't seem to be endearing himself to Villa fans seems somewhat weak to put it mildly. But I also struggle to see what they can realistically do about it. Even if they wanted to move the games somewhere else, there is no alternative venue of similar size in the region and the option of leaving the entire Midlands region without a host venue seems somewhat excessive.