2028 Euros

I think that sort of information fatixxx, although related to some reports is due to being unable to meet some Human Rights guarantees, is better behind a link than posted in detail within the thread.   It's not conducive to a flowing discussion.

Will be interesting to see how games are split.  I do think environmental considerations need to be higher than they have been in recent times and a return to groups being based across two stadia.  Obviously Euro 2020 kind of saw that, just with stadia hundreds of miles apart.   Northern Ireland likely limited to one stadium means it's probably not going to be two groups in England and one in each of the other nations, but Dublin, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester and London could all provide two Euros' ready stadia with minimum investment if they really did see the benefit of a six city approach rather than spreading the games for the sake of spreading the games.

1 hour ago, Brekkie Boy said:

I think that sort of information fatixxx, although related to some reports is due to being unable to meet some Human Rights guarantees, is better behind a link than posted in detail within the thread.   It's not conducive to a flowing discussion.

actually you have a point i agree with.. but the german users do not greet a decent/reasonable discussion with open arms.. they throw mud on my president and then they step aside.. do you you accept this as discussion.. do you think that germany will/can/meet human rights guarantees in 2024.. each year more than 4x a dozen times muslims/mosques and refugees are been attacked in germany year after year.. and each time the perpetrators (by living-cells of neo-nazis and extreme-right-situations) are not persecuted OR the trials are been fallen down.. in turkey we dont have extremists like in western-europe..

this human-rights & press-freedom issues are used as a trump by the other candidates/lobbies to steal each time türkiye's chances.. this became a large tradition/establishment in the uefa each four years..

1// we dont forget the discrimination of the frenchmam platini uefa president for the euro 2016

2// & the human-rights-hypocrisy of the present uefa president the slovene aleksander ceferin for the euro 2024 (not to speak about their own prime minister janez jansa) 

>> .. thats the truth ^_^

Euro 2028 key dates

• 23 March 2022: Uefa deadline to submit applications
  • 30 March 2022: Requirements are made available to bidders
  • 5 April 2022: UEFA announces the bidders
  • 12 April 2023: Final bid dossier submission deadline
  • September 2023: Hosts are appointed

source: Euro 2028 bids: Which countries are competing with the UK-Ireland bid and when Uefa will announce the host (msn.com)

The UK and Ireland are set to be named as the joint hosts of Euro 2028 with no rival bid having come forward before Wednesday’s deadline.

Barring a surprise last-minute entry, Uefa will make a formal decision to appoint Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on April 7.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-and-ireland-set-to-host-euro-2028-in-absence-of-rival-bid-gdjcvf72b

10 hours ago, Rob. said:

The UK and Ireland are set to be named as the joint hosts of Euro 2028 with no rival bid having come forward before Wednesday’s deadline.

Barring a surprise last-minute entry, Uefa will make a formal decision to appoint Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on April 7.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-and-ireland-set-to-host-euro-2028-in-absence-of-rival-bid-gdjcvf72b

maybe il saying this untimely/early..

but want to congratulate the UK & Ireland (the famous celtic 5).. ;)

i die surfing on various turkish websites/FA..

none .. ZERO information about the intention to submit an application on behalf of türkiye.. :unsure:

Would be nice to see a one-off Home Nations tournament revival to determine who qualifies automatically.

As for how games are split it would be nice to see England get two groups and the others one each, but NI is probably going to only have one suitable stadium so it means that isn't quite so straight forward.   The reality is too that Scotland, Wales and Ireland will likely have to centre their involvement around one city, though with two stadia.   However there would be alot to said from a fans and environmental perspective of groups being staged in one city - I really thought that's how Euro 2020 should have been done once covid became a factor rather than games being thousands of miles apart, so I suspect it'll be a case of England contributing at least half the venues, with one or two in each of the remaining nations - and groups not restricted geographically to one area.

I would guess the second round will see one match in each of the Celtic nations and four in England, then NI dropped for the QF round with one in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.    Wembley seems to be assumed to get the final as the biggest venue.   Whether they repeat the Euro model and have the semis there too or instead use probably Croke Park and the Millennium Stadium as the two biggest non-English venues remains to be seen.

All that is assuming they keep to 24 teams.  Wouldn't really want to see it expand to 32 as that just narrows down potential future hosts further, though I think multi-country hosts will become increasingly the norm.

a very short statement at the official turkish FA // TFF

source: EURO 2028 ev sahipliği için resmi başvuru yapıldı  - TFF Haberleri TFF

"Türkiye Futbol Federasyonu, 2028 Avrupa Futbol Şampiyonası finallerinin Türkiye'de düzenlenmesi için UEFA'ya resmi adaylık başvurusunu yaptı. "

translation:

"The Turkish Football Federation has made an official candidacy application to UEFA for the 2028 European Football Championship finals to be held in Turkey."

We got a surprise bid race here, huh?

Turkey trying again, almost begging to host already by how much times they tried before and got shutout.

Russia, FOR SOME GOD FORSAKEN REASON WITH THE CURRENT GEOPOLITICAL CLIMATE, will try too. Usually it would be a interesting candidate to be fair, but try bidding for anything when you are waging a war as the agressor and still having a anti-dopping suspension to clear while at it. GOOD LUCK ON THAT! You are gonna need it...

Now, UK and Ireland, should be the favorites here, and a very good choice. It would guarantee at least one stadia per UK country and the Republic of Ireland, which should guarantee a fun trip in 2028 if they do it right. It could re-ignite some scars of the past too if not careful, though...

Bid deadlines, what a funny group of dates, isn´t it?

52 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Now, UK and Ireland, should be the favorites here, and a very good choice. It would guarantee at least one stadia per UK country and the Republic of Ireland, which should guarantee a fun trip in 2028 if they do it right. It could re-ignite some scars of the past too if not careful, though...

I think it's a fairly natural assumption to see the UK and Ireland bid as favourites right now. It seems reasonable not to take the Russian application seriously at the moment for the reasons that we're, sadly, all too familiar. But I certainly would not dismiss the Turkish application. After going to such a core nation as Germany for 2024, I can well imagine the idea of going to a new frontier for the tournament being a strong emotional pull when it comes to the crunch.

Now, I liked the idea of a broader UK and Ireland bid in the context of the 2030 World Cup and I think it can work for Euro 2028 too, as long as the tournament expands to 32 teams as currently seems likely. My only concern is that it ends up being some kind of England-plus bid, rather than being a bid that is genuinely accessible to people right across these islands.

Seen reports of a joint bid from Bulgaria/Romania/Serbia/Greece too.   No surprise some of the British press got ahead of itself.

You would hope a Russian bid is thrown out immediately, though you never know with UEFA.    Ideally they'd get all this sorted before bids for the 2030 World Cup had to be submitted but that doesn't look ot be the case, and suspect the potential 5 year turnaround may benefit the British bid which will mainly be around existing stadia.

21 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Seen reports of a joint bid from Bulgaria/Romania/Serbia/Greece too.   No surprise some of the British press got ahead of itself.

You would hope a Russian bid is thrown out immediately, though you never know with UEFA.    Ideally they'd get all this sorted before bids for the 2030 World Cup had to be submitted but that doesn't look ot be the case, and suspect the potential 5 year turnaround may benefit the British bid which will mainly be around existing stadia.

I can only think of two new stadia that would be likely to come into the mix at this point - the redeveloped Casement Park in Belfast and the proposed new stadium for Aberdeen, though I have seen reports in the last couple of days suggesting Manchester United are considering a number of options for Old Trafford including a full rebuild. I guess the old plan for expanding Home Park in Plymouth could also come into play. Certainly I would want Belfast and Aberdeen included.

2 hours ago, Guilga said:

Russia, FOR SOME GOD FORSAKEN REASON WITH THE CURRENT GEOPOLITICAL CLIMATE, will try too. Usually it would be a interesting candidate to be fair, but try bidding for anything when you are waging a war as the agressor and still having a anti-dopping suspension to clear while at it. GOOD LUCK ON THAT! You are gonna need it...

They know they have zero chance. They're just trolling the sporting world. Ignore them, they're attention seeking dicks.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

You would think the UK/Ireland bid would be massive favourite after we cleared the path for Spain/Portugal 2030. It's pretty clear a deal has been done, but whether it holds and whether Boris manages to Boris things up between now and the vote we'll have to wait and see.

32 teams would be great. These lopsided tournaments that don't divide properly in groups make me itchy.

1 hour ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Not gonna happen for Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Serbia to host Euro 2028. They will now focus on hosting the 2030 FIFA World Cup. Turkey might have a strong chance along with UK/Ireland.

Can't see BGRS having a chance at the World Cup if they have no chance at the Euros.   I would hope the Russia bid gets nowhere near the vote stage - needs to be immediately thrown out.

Turkey does deserve it's shot and I think the stadia are pretty much in place there from what I can see too.  The one country bid also works in their favour IMO, however open UEFA say they are to joint bids.

4 hours ago, arwebb said:

But I certainly would not dismiss the Turkish application. After going to such a core nation as Germany for 2024, I can well imagine the idea of going to a new frontier for the tournament being a strong emotional pull when it comes to the crunch.

You are right about Turkey actually; if it wasn´t for the people in charge of the country and their (deserved) outward perception, i feel we might already had an euros here. It would be a amazing host, being between two continents and a rich story...of course, unless there is another reason why they gets slammed on the door all the time, given they gave Baku Euro 2020 matches. 

That said...i wonder how explosive and feasable would be to get Greece and Turkey hosting anything togheter. Talk about Greeks and Troyans!

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

32 teams would be great. These lopsided tournaments that don't divide properly in groups make me itchy.

That however...i would advise against until Europe has it´s new URSS/Yugoslavia breakup moment. UEFA has 55 members as of now, 32 teams would be over half of the confederation. Unless you replace the qualifying with an expanded Nations League, it all gonna feel weird? Well, at least, UEFA has enough countries to make a qualification out of their continental champioships for now.

To be clear: No harm at 32 teams cup, i just think for now 24 seems better suited. But, alright if it gets to this.

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

You would think the UK/Ireland bid would be massive favourite after we cleared the path for Spain/Portugal 2030.

NOW THIS... If it comes to a Iberic bid X South America, things might become a bit heated in the centennial celebrations of the World Cup. Imagine a duel between colonial powers and the former colonies to see who get´s to host it? Unless they decide to give it to China instead because of that 24 team Club World Cup thing that´s taking too long to take off, of course. 

Here is an interesting source: (the russian-invasion-issue & intentions of the english FA)

“Russia is making mischief; they have no chance of winning”

Sky Sports News Chief Correspondent, Kaveh Solhekol:

“It’s not entirely surprising because Russia hosted the World Cup in 2018 and many say it was one of the most successful and organized World Cups ever. They have it all available. the infrastructure to be able to host the Euro, that’s something they’ve looked at in the past.

“But nobody expected them to do what they did today. It will be interesting to hear UEFA’s response on this because Russia is banned by UEFA and FIFA at the moment.

“In the short term it’s a huge headache for UEFA. They were expecting the only bids for Euro 2028 to come from the UK & Ireland and then in two weeks’ time they would announce the Euros for the year. 2028 will be in the UK and Ireland, but this will mean the entire bidding process and an executive committee vote, which will take around a year and a half.

“But from the outside looking in, it looks like Russia is doing mischief because they have to know that they have absolutely no chance of winning a vote to host in 2028 or 2032.”

source: Russia and Turkey will face the UK and Ireland to host Euro 2028 after surprise submissions | Football news - News7h