2028 Euros

It was looking like Turkey was actually going to get their inside track to possibly get it,

Turkey looks to host UEFA EURO 2028 | Daily Sabah

but our old friends in Russia might decide to ruin that party

Russia is considering bidding for the 2028 or 2032 European Championships - football (socialpost.news)

If Russia bids, I think they'd trump Turkey with all the new stadiums they bought.  But if nations are still lukewarm to it, Turkey could get an inside track to 2032.

• 1 month later...

England is going in both fists swinging for 2030.  It would be absolute looney toons for FIFA to pass them again.

Absolutely agree that a Spain/Portugal bid sounds pretty great, though.  If that joint bid gets going, its probably over.

Thatd be my preference, anyways, but I suppose you could flip-flop England and Spain for the Euros/World Cup too.

I do think Turkey/Russia both loom large for soccer festivities in the 2030s, though.

53 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

England is going in both fists swinging for 2030.  It would be absolute looney toons for FIFA to pass them again.

Absolutely agree that a Spain/Portugal bid sounds pretty great, though.  If that joint bid gets going, its probably over.

Thatd be my preference, anyways, but I suppose you could flip-flop England and Spain for the Euros/World Cup too.

I do think Turkey/Russia both loom large for soccer festivities in the 2030s, though.

England bid seemed to be screwed after the euro 2020 final incident, but I guess, sentimentalism get on its way so maybe soccer may come home in 2030. Again, this scenario its exactly the same as it was for the 1996 summer olympics, sentimental host with old infrastructure (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay) against a prepared bid form an experienced country (UK and Ireland), the neighbour with a prepared bid but not as brilliant as the other (Spain and Portugal), the australian bid (Australia), the delusional second tier country bid (Morocco), and the delusional unprobable eastern-european balkan bid (Balkans), to that list we can also add the world power who will end up hosting the event if FIFA allows them to bid (china) and the oil power who can buy the hosting rights (Saudi Arabia). Even thought asian countries will probably not be allowed to bid until 2034, incluiding Australia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1116911/euro-2028-2032-uefa-host-bid

Just came across this one. Having to decide on one edition and not being able to apply for both seems like a huge red flag here. So does the double allocation itself. Last time we saw something comparable we ended up with Qatar.

Though with Spain/Portugal, the British Isles and Italy all gearing up for a major football event, I could see a strategy here. Give 2028 and 2032 to two of the interested parties so the third one (either Iberia or UK/Ireland) can go for the 2030 World cup uncontested and with full support by all UEFA members.

But who knows what's going on in their minds.

Interesting story this evening.

The Times: Britain and Ireland set to bid for 2028 European Championship instead of 2030 World Cup

To summarise, British officials have apparently been advised that Spain and Portugal are frontrunners for 2030 and if we go for Euro 2028 we have an "excellent chance" of winning it, with Italy the frontrunners for Euro 2032.

Without being all "home of football" arrogant, is there any particular reason why Spain and Portugal are the big favourite for the World Cup over the British Isles? If there was a desire to avoid England completely due to what happened at Wembley I'd understand that but that doesn't fit with getting the Euros anyway - whereas England has the longest time without a World Cup of the three main nations in each bid there, and AFAIK Spain have never hosted the Euros so it'd be something new for them. No obvious link to the centennial either. Unless they want to use Spain and Portugal to get the World Cup into Morocco, stopping them bidding without dumping the whole lot onto them. 

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

Without being all "home of football" arrogant, is there any particular reason why Spain and Portugal are the big favourite for the World Cup over the British Isles? If there was a desire to avoid England completely due to what happened at Wembley I'd understand that but that doesn't fit with getting the Euros anyway - whereas England has the longest time without a World Cup of the three main nations in each bid there, and AFAIK Spain have never hosted the Euros so it'd be something new for them. No obvious link to the centennial either. Unless they want to use Spain and Portugal to get the World Cup into Morocco, stopping them bidding without dumping the whole lot onto them. 

Spain and portugal have together not only the sportive infrastructure to support two of the best football leagues in the world, but they have the touristic infrastructure of the 3rd most visited country in the world before the pandemic. In the uk/irish bid you probably had london, manchester, liverpool and birmingham, as cities with both world class 40k stadiums and touristic infrastructure, but even considering ireland wasn't willing to build even one single stadium, government support from both sides would have been a problem. On the other hand iberian bid has support from both parties, spain stadiums are notably bigger and more modern than the british ones, and finally spain and portugal easily can find 40k upper stadium in 8 different cities, compared to the uk where the biggest modern stadiums are all in london, manchester and liverpool with a few relatively big OLD ones in other parts of the island.

It does seem a little odd to invest time and money and energy into 2030 for years and then just let it go so easily, doesn't it?

Perhaps they are still holding a grutch from 2018 and 2006. To be fair, FIFA isn't to be trusted when it comes to shady deals and agreements. While I do think it is unlikely they will not go to Europe for 2030, they have hinted towards planning on going to China at some point in the 2030'ies.

11 minutes ago, munichfan said:

It does seem a little odd to invest time and money and energy into 2030 for years and then just let it go so easily, doesn't it?

Perhaps they are still holding a grutch from 2018 and 2006. To be fair, FIFA isn't to be trusted when it comes to shady deals and agreements. While I do think it is unlikely they will not go to Europe for 2030, they have hinted towards planning on going to China at some point in the 2030'ies.

Fifa, hinted even an israel led bid with stadiums in UAE and Bahrain, that would be either Qatar 2022.2 or just another one of those strange infantino proposals. Anyway, for me it seems pretty clear world cup 2030 will go to spain/portugal unless fifa allows AFC bids, in that case china, saudi arabia and australia will also have a big competition.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Fifa, hinted even an israel led bid with stadiums in UAE and Bahrain

:lol::lol::lol: That was a good laugh.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Anyway, for me it seems pretty clear world cup 2030 will go to spain/portugal unless fifa allows AFC bids, in that case china, saudi arabia and australia will also have a big competition.

That's how I see it, too. If they're smart, they'll stay away from China and Saudi-Arabia for a long, long time. But it's FIFA, so let's see.

14 hours ago, yoshi said:

12 hours ago, munichfan said:

To be fair, FIFA isn't to be trusted when it comes to shady deals and agreements.

This story actually came out a few months ago and it seems it's UEFA who are favouring Spain/Portugal 2030 because it's a more compact bid with fewer complications. Which is fine, but...

It's hard not to get the impression FIFA/UEFA with their apparently contradictory demands are mucking England about here. I don't necessarily mean intentionally, but it just doesn't seem like there's any coherence in what they're each asking for.

FIFA say they want joint bids so countries that don't normally host can get a chance, so we try to set something up with the other home nations and Ireland. But UEFA in their pre-selection process is apparently prioritising compactness and ease of travel....something a solo England bid would've been great at. But that's a non-goer because of what FIFA want. :blink:

Errr...guys, can you sort out what you actually want please?

---

P.S. yoshi, given FIFA's recent history, there's no need to caveat any posts with "without being all "home of football" arrogant". It's FIFA who needs to prove to us they've changed, not the other way around!

Edited by Rob.

Interesting...I wonder if this is actually FIFA and UEFA working together to try and knock England (specifically) out of the equation by nudging towards a Euro 2028 or 32 in the 4 Celtic nations, and only them? Would be a great tournament, just as it would if England was included, but it is sure that Scotland, Wales, Ireland and NI certainly don't have the same baggage when it comes to trouble around international football as England (which is why the Wembley trouble was so disappointing, at a time when the reputation caused by that tiny minority had receded). Not very compact & easy travel between the 4, and a lot of building would be needed to get venues outside the main cities big enough, but it feels like the vendetta against England is still strong within FIFA. Personally, I'd rather it was Spain Euro 28, UK/Ireland World Cup 30, Italy Euro 32, but is that now impossible? 

(PS if it is a Euros or nothing rather than a men's WC for the UK, we should definitely bid for the Women's World Cup in 2031...tbh we should do that anyway, I actually think a a women's World Cup would be better and more beneficial here than a men's one, we should've bid for 27)

Should've added, if there's therefore a deal to be cut where the UK withdraws from 2030 in exchange for the Women's WC in 2031 and possibly some form of Euros hosting in 2028, we should totally try for it, Euros or not. I'm honestly not all that fussed about the Euros rn, I like the Euros and it'd be nice to host, but we've just done a large proportion of one and it didn't exactly end in glory, sadly. If it's all-Celtic that'd add a nice touch of difference to it. Otoh, with women's football growing here as it is, it'd be wonderful to have a World Cup to crown it. I'm sure the women's Euros this year will be a great tournament with a brilliant atmosphere :) 

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

This story actually came out a few months ago and it seems it's UEFA who are favouring Spain/Portugal 2030 because it's a more compact bid with fewer complications. Which is fine, but...

It's hard not to get the impression FIFA/UEFA with their apparently contradictory demands are mucking England about here. I don't necessarily mean intentionally, but it just doesn't seem like there's any coherence in what they're each asking for.

FIFA say they want joint bids so countries that don't normally host can get a chance, so we try to set something up with the other home nations and Ireland. But UEFA in their pre-selection process is apparently prioritising compactness and ease of travel....something a solo England bid would've been great at. But that's a non-goer because of what FIFA want. :blink:

Errr...guys, can you sort out what you actually want please?

---

P.S. yoshi, given FIFA's recent history, there's no need to caveat any posts with "without being all "home of football" arrogant". It's FIFA who needs to prove to us they've changed, not the other way around!

UEFA is thinking like IOC (on the good way),like last year when there was a chance of going to middle east o southeast asia for 2032 whith questionable bids, why not stick to the safe path and go to the highly developed australia. In this case, why would you choose going to new countries with questionable sport infrastructure and lack of football fans (ehmm...qatar), when you can get a compact, ready to go bid with two of the best developed countries sportswise (spain & portugal).

I don't have a problem in principle with Spain and Portugal being UEFA's preferred bid for 2030. It's a better option than what we've got for 2026 for a start. But if the governing bodies say they want one thing and then do the opposite, you can't blame people for being cynical, particularly given past conduct.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iceman530 said:

Dont trust that article even a little bit.  None of it reads right.  I mean, sure Spain/Portugal could get it, but I dont believe for one second theyd tell England that early on.  Thats just silly.

This is about uefa though, not FIFA. They want one European bid only and it looks like they're favouring the Iberian effort. If that's the case there's no point us continuing.

• 4 weeks later...