Summer Olympics Ceremonies

barrack

I was just curious about the possibility of a SOG to have its opening and closing ceremonies in a separate stadium from that of the athletic events. Many of the larger-capacity stadiums around are designed primarily for other sports such as football (all varieties) and may not always translate well as an atheletics venue.

I only ask because the WOG ceremonies are, of late, hosted in stadia that don't actually host sporting events; they are solely for the ceremonies.

If this idea were adopted for the SOG, then it could answer some sustainability issues regarding the building of a large stadium that could potentially see little use later on.

I know that the US's larger stadiums are designed primarily for American football. Those that are optimal as such, may not have room to place an athletics track. I think this is the same for the UK's Wembley. It's made FOR football and has no room for a track. If they made it track friendly, its design would be less optimal as a football stadium.

Just a thought, nothing too serious.

well, here's a thought, barrack.  Hold the Ceremonies in a US stadium; and any country can have the sports.   :idea:   How's that?

I'm not sure I follow. Sarcastic or otherwise, I fail to see your point.

Just because I'm in a minority doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid than anyone else's.

I don't like the ceremonies, because, in my eyes, they are a complete waste of time and money. Despite their claims, they mean absolutely nothing. It is just an over the top way of doing something that could be done in about an hour. They, in their present form, are one of my pet hates.

Just because I'm in a minority doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid than anyone else's.

I don't like the ceremonies, because, in my eyes, they are a complete waste of time and money. Despite their claims, they mean absolutely nothing. It is just an over the top way of doing something that could be done in about an hour. They, in their present form, are one of my pet hates.

Still, for any games, be they Olympic or Commonwealth or whatever, they remain the highest rating part of them by far. Take away the ceremonies, and there would be far, far less money going to the organisers from broadcast rights. The hosts really can't afford not to have them now.

THat's precisely it, webb.  Because u can't take Ceremonies -- an integral part of any multi-event Games these days -- seriously, it's hard to take anyone who dismisses it, seriously too.   :verysad:   Perhaps you should post in a pure sport only forum -- and you wouldn't be creating all this friction.

The Olympic Games are much more then just a sport event... Olympism is an Idea... The Opening and the Closing Ceremonies

exists since the ancient times... And they are not a waste of money... or should i say it depends on the hosting country/city if it is a waste of money or not...

With the Ceremonies the people of the hosting Nation can welcome the Idea of Olympism in their Country, can welcome the world... i even can not find the right words to explain the meaning of the Ceremonies... just a moment, yes i can... i remember one of the great moments of the OC in Athens 2004 when Gianna said:

"Citizens of the World, Athletes of the World, welcome to Athens, welcome to Greece...Olympic Games welcome home".....

aaahhh...

:D

So back to the question at hand...

Would it be a good idea or bad idea to host the ceremonies in the host cities largest venue (which may or may not be suitable for athletic competition).

Let's say a city's largest stadium is for a sport who's field requirements are not compatible with an athletics track. Instead of building a new stadium or a temporary stadium that can handle the ceremonies AND track... you can have the ceremonies at the big stadium and host the track and field events at a dedicated atheletics stadium (albeit a smaller one). This could avoid the investment into facilities that become white elephants.

Recent and planned WOG do this now, having ceremonies at a venue where no actual sport takes place.

So back to the question at hand...

Would it be a good idea or bad idea to host the ceremonies in the host cities largest venue (which may or may not be suitable for athletic competition).

Let's say a city's largest stadium is for a sport who's field requirements are not compatible with an athletics track. Instead of building a new stadium or a temporary stadium that can handle the ceremonies AND track... you can have the ceremonies at the big stadium and host the track and field events at a dedicated atheletics stadium (albeit a smaller one). This could avoid the investment into facilities that become white elephants.

Recent and planned WOG do this now, having ceremonies at a venue where no actual sport takes place.

Yeah, but it also has to do with security arrangements, camera placements, etc..  Actually, it's already happened in 3 major instances: Mexico, LA and Barcelona all had bigger stadia than the Olympic Stadium, but used the slightly smaller stadia for Ceremonies and T&F.

The reasons are:  (i) I think the IOC prefers it that way. (ii) the larger stadium is reserved for football/soccer.  Ceremonies of any type would ruin the turf, whereas at the T&F venue, it wouldn't.  So...

In addition, you also need a major stadium with a complementary smaller stadium beside it for the holding of the cast and the athletes before they parade in.  Besides, the IAAF requires a 75-80,000 seat stadium for their T&F events.  So  I don't even know why this is an issue for you?  :suspect:

This issue came out because Chicago's newspapers are suggesting it for Chicago's possible 2016 bid.

IMO, it's most probable the IOC would not go with it. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies almost always signifies a Summer Olympic Games for the host city and country. It will take a really desperate IOC to go with such an idea and go out of tradition.

The USOC had also dismissed the idea and stated that the Olympic Stadium for interested 2016 bid cities from the US. They want the US cities to hold Athletics and both Ceremonies in one stadium.

So  I don't even know why this is an issue for you?  :suspect:

It's not that big if an issue for me as it is a curiosity. The only reason I asked again was because (1) no one answered the question and (2) the thread was getting off track.

I do appreciate the replies and now I know. Thanks! I didn't think that T&F events, alone, actually needed that many seats.

I think it is part of the IOC Charter.  Athletics/T&F is the premiere event at the SOG and then there is the visual of the Olympic Flame burning at the competition venue.  There have been some thoughts of alteration.  Washington had proposed the ceremonies in the Mall although deemed a security risk.

Archived