Athens 2004 is dead

actually, "Athens '04" isn't all that dead.  On this evening's telecast of THE AMAZING RACE (I tuned in late), they had a segment in Greece where they had the couples do the discus, javelein-throw, and wrestle some local Greek hunks -- and then move on the Fortress of Rion (where's that, Pyrros?) via that modernistic  bridge (I think the one that crosses the Isthmus of Corinth) you have shown us before.  And then it ended at the Fortress of Rion.

A photo from the opening of the bridge:

gefira_giorti3470.jpg

Rio-Antirio%20bridge.jpg493_20.jpg

The city of Rio is located at the Pelopponese, Antirion is at the other side (mainland greece).

The high tech bridge must be the one that connects these two areas (because at the Isthmus of Corinth the bridge isn't so modern).

as it consists entirely of five cable-stayed spans and four columns, it is the world's longest cable-stayed suspended deck. Its width is 28 meters -- it has two vehicle lanes per direction, an emergency lane and a pedestrian sidewalk.

This bridge is widely considered to be an engineering masterpiece owing to several solutions applied to span the difficult site. These difficulties include deep water, insecure materials for foundations, seismic activity and the probability of tsunamis, and the expansion of the Gulf of Corinth due to plate tectonics.

The city of Rio is located at the Pelopponese, Antirion is at the other side (mainland greece).

This bridge is widely considered to be an engineering masterpiece owing to several solutions applied to span the difficult site. These difficulties include deep water, insecure materials for foundations, seismic activity and the probability of tsunamis, and the expansion of the Gulf of Corinth due to plate tectonics.

Wow!  That's quite a bridge!!  From Rio to Greece.  I can see how difficult it would be to build it across the Atlantic and the Med.   :wwww:  

But nothing's impossible!

I'm  glad that I saved as much of the Athens 2004 site as I possibly could to data CD, so I can view anything from it anytime I want to.

o lucky you, i have only saved a few web pages of results

OK, someone has the PDF files of the Games Results?

They were at one of the pages of the site, but I always forgot to download it.

By the way, I think the Sydney 2000 pages can still be seen (a Google search can help on that). At least they have written they would keep it.

OK, someone has the PDF files of the Games Results?

They were at one of the pages of the site, but I always forgot to download it.

By the way, I think the Sydney 2000 pages can still be seen (a Google search can help on that). At least they have written they would keep it.

In terms of the results PDF file: Sorry, I can't help you. If I had known that such a file existed on the ATHENS 2004 website, I would have downloaded it. So let's hope that someone else has it.

In terms of the Sydney 2000 website: It's true -- you can still see different editions of the website in the Australian web archive Pandora. Look here: http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/10194

I think that, even seen from today's point of view, the Sydney 2000 website still has an outstanding and unforgettable design. I admit that I still compare all Olympic websites to that one. And I think no other website could keep up with Sydney's so far -- neither Salt Lake's nor Athens' nor Turin's. But maybe I'm biassed. It's like your first love: you'll always remember it as something special. And the Sydney Games were the first Olympics I witnessed to the full extent.

I think that, even seen from today's point of view, the Sydney 2000 website still has an outstanding and unforgettable design. I admit that I still compare all Olympic websites to that one. And I think no other website could keep up with Sydney's so far -- neither Salt Lake's nor Athens' nor Turin's. But maybe I'm biassed. It's like your first love: you'll always remember it as something special. And the Sydney Games were the first Olympics I witnessed to the full extent.

I agree with you. Sydney 2000 was created by IBM, which also did a great job with the live updates in Java and also the layout of the results, which was much better to print it.

After that, the other sites didn´t keep up with the same quality. I believe Sydney 2000 still is the example to be followed at the next Olympics.

I agree with you. Sydney 2000 was created by IBM, which also did a great job with the live updates in Java and also the layout of the results, which was much better to print it.

After that, the other sites didn´t keep up with the same quality. I believe Sydney 2000 still is the example to be followed at the next Olympics.

i definately agree sydneys website is the best so far in my opinion

I didn't like Torino's site at all, it was a total mess.  The navigation was horrible.  Same with the current Beijing website: so many unorganized clusters and random links.

Vancouver's new site is however quite clean and easy to navigate.

I didn't like Torino's site at all, it was a total mess.  The navigation was horrible.  Same with the current Beijing website: so many unorganized clusters and random links.

Vancouver's new site is however quite clean and easy to navigate.

yea i agree beijing has two years to sort their webiste out which i hope they do.

Archived