USA WC Stadiums

Since the USA has so many stadiums because of their love of football, which 12ish would actually be used for games if the US was to bid and win another WC?

Gillette Stadium - Boston

Rose Bowl - Pasadena

Mile High Stadium - Denver

RFK Memorial - Washington

Soldier Field - Chicago

Giants Stadium - East Rutherford

Lincoln Financial Stadium - Philadephia

Qwest Field - Seattle

Are the only ones I can think of.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They always use Stanford and Harvard stadia.  

- There is also a 'soccer-friendly' stadium in Columbus, Ohio, where the Columbus Crew plays out of.  

- The LA area has another 'soccer-only' facility at the Home Depot Center in Carson City where the US Men's team now trains; and where they held the Womens' Championship match at the hastily-moved 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup -- altho this venue seats only 34,000 if I am not mistaken.  

- The new Candlestick in SF will be able to accommodate an int'l soccer game; as well as the Oakland Raiders Coliseum in Oakland.  

- There's a facility outside Dallas where the NFL Dallas team is based.  That one can conform to soccer dimensions.  

-  And I think one each in Miami and San Diego.

Chicago Fire now have a new soccer-only staduim - but only seats 20,000 - in the suburbs. I think their first 12 or so games this season are on the road until the new $70M (U.S.) facility debuts in June???

I am sure Soldier Field will still be availabe for soccer. It had a $700M makeover completed about a year ago.

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/MLS/chf/stadium/bridgeview/

FIFA doesn't allow bleechers seats anymore. Rose Bowl in its current form is therefore a no go.

For 2026 or 2030 they would have built a new stadium :P Or aybe not, because they don't play football...

I don't know specifications about the US stadiums, but according to World Stadiums this are the US stadiums for "soccer" over 25.000 seats:

Stockton, California: Ammos A. Stagg Memorial, 30.000

Carson, California: Home Depot Center, 27.000

Denver, Colorado: Mile High, 76.000

Washington, DC: RFK Memorial Stadium, 56.000

Chicago, Illinois: Soldier Field, 62.000

Foxboro, Massachusetts: Gillette Stadium, 68.000

East Rutherford, New Jersey: Giants Stadium, 80.242

Houston, Texas: Robertson Stadium, 30.000

Salt Lake City, Utah: Rice-Eccles Stadium, 46.000

Roanoke, Victoria: Victory Stadium, 26.000

Seattle, Washington: Qwest Field, 67.000

PD: Of course, other stadiums of other sports (probably, american football) could be used...

From this 11 stadiums, only 7 meet the requirement of the FIFA for a WC (45.000 seats).

I don't know specifications about the US stadiums, but according to World Stadiums this are the US stadiums for "soccer" over 25.000 seats:

PD: Of course, other stadiums of other sports (probably, american football) could be used...

From this 11 stadiums, only 7 meet the requirement of the FIFA for a WC (45.000 seats).

Yeah, but that's the present list.  There were 9 sites in 1994.  By 2011, when the US will be chosen for 2018, there should be a few more available: there's the new Candlestick in SF; LA Memorial hosts soccer games.  Maybe 2 of those below 45,000 can be adjusted for additional seating.  There's one in Birmingham (used in 1996).  NYC had Rutgers, I think Yale.  They used the Annapolis Naval stadium, I think, in 1984.  So there's more than enough to go around.

Here were the nine 1994 venues:

Venue -    Name  of Stadium   -      Location    -    Capacity

Boston - Foxboro Stadium -  Mass.  - 61,000

Chicago - Soldier Field  -  Chicago, Ill    -  67,000

Dallas  -   Cotton Bowl  -  Dallas, TX      - 67,000

Detroit -  Pontiac Silverdome  - Pontiac, MI  -  80,000

Los Angeles  -  Rose Bowl -  Pasadena, CA  -  91,000

NY/NJ  -  Giants Stadium  -  East Rutherford, NJ -  77,000

Orlando  - Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL  -  70,000

San Francisco - Stanford Stadium - Palo Alto, CA -  80,000

Washington -  RFK Stadium -  Washington, D.C. -   56,000

So, with a few more ready for 2018, FIFA will have like 14-16 excellent venues to choose from.

So, with a few more ready for 2018, FIFA will have like 14-16 excellent venues to choose from.

That would surely bring financial savings for the US soccer authorities - television networks would only have to play recordings of the 1996 finals - how exciting ...... and congratulations Brazil!

Yeah, but that's the present list.  There were 9 sites in 1994.  By 2011, when the US will be chosen for 2018, there should be a few more available: there's the new Candlestick in SF; LA Memorial hosts soccer games.  Maybe 2 of those below 45,000 can be adjusted for additional seating.  There's one in Birmingham (used in 1996).  NYC had Rutgers, I think Yale.  They used the Annapolis Naval stadium, I think, in 1984.  So there's more than enough to go around.

Yeah, I know. I just listed the present list that should be the base for a potential bid... of course, US has the money to build new stadiums or adjust present stadiums for the WC.

I would think that stadiums in:

Boston (well Foxoboro)

Washington

Chicago

NYC

Dallas

LA

Seattle

Denver

will all be used, its just the additional 4 to 8 stadiums that is up in the air.

I would think that stadiums in:

Boston (well Foxoboro)

Washington

Chicago

NYC

Dallas

LA

Seattle

Denver

will all be used, its just the additional 4 to 8 stadiums that is up in the air.

I would add the Bay Area to that list, faster.  Of course, those are the major metropolitan areas of the US --and so will encourage the greatest attendance.  This was already proven 12 years ago.

That would surely bring financial savings for the US soccer authorities - television networks would only have to play recordings of the 1996 finals - how exciting ...... and congratulations Brazil!

:laughlong: He-he-he.

Of course if the USA don't built any more stadiums the WC won't go there...

Who will you prefer? A country that has won 5 WC, has the best playes in the world and deserves the WC because their last host was in 1950? Or a boring country with old stadiums, that hasn't won any WC, don't like football and their last host was in 1994? :rolleyes:

Very simple: CONGRATULATIONS BRAZIL!!! I EXPECT A VERY AMAZING WC THERE!!!

Heinz Field in Pittsburgh holds about 65,000 and has hosted international soccer in the past.

Pitts is too dirt-dag of a city to host the event. It would go to Philly before Pitts. Plus Heinz Field is really ######.

It would be interesting to see if the USA would be willing to build a stadium that is soccer first, and then can be adapted to football later if needed. I would think NYC would be the best place for it.

Who will you prefer? A country that has won 5 WC, has the best playes in the world and deserves the WC because their last host was in 1950? Or a boring country with old stadiums, that hasn't won any WC, don't like football and their last host was in 1994? :rolleyes:

Very simple: CONGRATULATIONS BRAZIL!!! I EXPECT A VERY AMAZING WC THERE!!!

The USA has more then enough fields to host the WC tomorrow if something happens to Germany willout any major problems.

Stadiums in the USA that could be used include:

Ford Field - Detriot

Henz Field - Pittsburgh

Yale Bowl - New Haven

HH Huymphrey Metrodome - Minneapolis

McAfee Colliseum - Oakland

Soldier Field - Chicago

RCA Dome - Indianpolis

Monster Park - San Francisco

M&T Bank Stadium

The Coliseum - Nashville

Gillette Stadium - Foxboro

Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia

Louisiana Superdome - New Orleans

Cotton Bowl - Dallas

Qwest Field - Seattle

Edward Jones Dome - St. Louis

Raymond James Stadium - Tampa

Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City

Alltel Stadium - Jacksonville

Invesco Field at Mile High - Denver

Dolphins Stadium - Miami

Ralph Wilson Stadium - Orchard Park

Lambeau Filed - Green Bay

Miami Orange Bowl - Miami

Giants Stadium - East Rutherford

LA Memorial Coliseum - LA

FedEx Field - Landover

Mind you, using any of the domes is going to be a b!tch.

The US constantly builds new top quality stadia with high capacities (60.000 plus). The difference is they to do not built them for a FIFA World Cup but for the NFL.

Like it or not, the US could host the WC tomorrow and is the only country in the world to do so.

Like it or not, the US could host the WC tomorrow and is the only country in the world to do so.

I don't think many people would doubt the US's abilities to host major sporting events - they've a proven record of hosting both Summer and Winter Olympics and a World Cup.  That's part of the problem for me, it's not being anti-American, it's just that they've already hosted most of the world's major sporting events in the last decade and a half - I no longer get excited about the prospects of an event being held there ...... I've seen them so many times before.  I also think that this is a problem being experienced in US society as a whole - with the exception of the enthusiastic people here on Gamesbids, I don't think that the majority Americans yearn for international sporting events such as the Olympics, and especially the World Cup, as much as people of other countries do because (a) they've hosted so many recently ... and (B) the sporting events are of not so much interest to them anyway.  The American passion for football is nowhere near the level experienced in South America or Europe (or even Africa and Asia) and I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that Americans have little interest in track and field.  

Again, I don't think I'm being anti-American but it's just my opinion.

:unclesam:  :;):

Stu, its a fact of life that the USA will be hosting at least 1 of the big 3 sporting events every decade. Its just the way it is because of the money involved in the US when it comes these events.

The US will probably have the 2016 games and either the 2018 or 2022 WC. Its also going to happen that the USA will host the Aquatic WCs in the near future and the Athletics WCs aswell. The only major sporting events that I can't see in the USA for a while to never is the RWC and the CWC.

I don't think many people would doubt the US's abilities to host major sporting events - they've a proven record of hosting both Summer and Winter Olympics and a World Cup.  That's part of the problem for me, it's not being anti-American, it's just that they've already hosted most of the world's major sporting events in the last decade and a half - I no longer get excited about the prospects of an event being held there ...... I've seen them so many times before.  I also think that this is a problem being experienced in US society as a whole - with the exception of the enthusiastic people here on Gamesbids, I don't think that the majority Americans yearn for international sporting events such as the Olympics, and especially the World Cup, as much as people of other countries do because (a) they've hosted so many recently ... and (B) the sporting events are of not so much interest to them anyway.  The American passion for football is nowhere near the level experienced in South America or Europe (or even Africa and Asia) and I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that Americans have little interest in track and field.  

Again, I don't think I'm being anti-American but it's just my opinion.

:unclesam:  :;):

I rather have the World Cup in Brazil or Australia (or The Netherlands, but that won't happen in a thousand years :)) than another US world cup. I'm not pro-America, nor am I anti-American. England has its Olympic Games so they can wait for another 50 years ;)

It just that Mikel's anti-American remarks - in which he constantly shows he knows very little about the subject - annoy me.

Well, this is what I can say about the US hosting the int'l events.  

#1 - Yes, at the grass-roots level, maybe there isn't the enthusiasm and passion that is shown here on GamesBids in winning the Games -- but this is such an arcane area of interest.  I mean, how many Chinese or Indians or Indonesians (the other big 3 countries in tems of population) do we get here?  A handful.  Whereas there is a goodly number of Yanks here -- of all ages too; so the representation is good.  

#2 - Once we get the Games though, our people rise to the occasion and support the Games or a WC wholeheartedly, with record-breaking crowds (and despite sour grapes claims from certain quarters).  So...

#3 - I think the FIFAs and IOCs of the world can come back to the US every few years, especially after close calls like Athens or it looks like Brazil for 2014 now, knowing they are assured of an event that will proceed on a higher level, and at least give them and their coffers some breathing room until they move on to the next Abuja or Torino or Athens.

Archived