RIP Jacques Rogge

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just found out about this! So sad he passed away. He was my favourite president of the IOC. He made the Olympics better than what it was. May he rest in peace. I would like to express my condolences to the family and friends of Jacques Rogge. 

RIP Jaques. You were an amazing president. Your efforts to accelerate the Olympic movement were amazing and you will forever be remembered.   

RIP Jacques. Vous étiez un président extraordinaire. Vos efforts pour accélérer le mouvement olympique ont été incroyables et on se souviendra de vous à jamais. 

Merci Jaques, Vive l’Olympique! 

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this horrendous time. May his count rest in peace. 

Vale Jacques.

After His Excellency, it really was refreshing having someone who was more of a man of the people - with gestures like sleeping in the athletes’ village and being interviewed by Roy and HG on The Dream - at the helm. Always seemed like a class act at just the time the IOC needed it. 

I miss doing his French Belgian accent in the logo comp announcements. 

• Sad 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:58 PM, Sir Rols said:

I miss doing his French Belgian accent in the logo comp announcements. 

That sounded cute. Do you have a video or a voice memo of you doing the accent?

Heard the sad news on Monday. I too extend my condolences to Jacques Rogge's family and friends. He may be on the boring side (idc), but he genuinely cared about the Games and its movement. And was the right person for the times when he took over right before the big SLC bidding scandal on the last years of the Olympic boom years.

Interesting that i did not see this in the media other than on here.

Salt Lake City 2002 - Athens 2004 - Turin 2006 - Beijing 2008 - Vancouver 2010 - London 2012

A good set of games to preside over.....

And then there was one..... one living IOC president

Thank  you Dr Rogge, you done a 'superb job'

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 2:44 AM, Australian Kiwi said:

Rogge was great and had a the presence of a benevolent statesman. The Olympics under his watch felt optimistic. He didn't have an ego about him either. 

Agreed on all your counts. Definitely so after the IOC emerged from the awful bidding corruption scandal with Salt Lake City when it needed someone like him. Rogge even stayed inside the Olympic Village during Olympic time! It's much too bad he won't write and promote a book reflecting on his numerous experiences thoughts on the Olympic Movement in its multiple fronts, for he would certainly have lots to say with his experience immersed in it, and how and where he would like to see changes in. Then again, he may have already did a diary/manuscript that has yet to see publication. 

He wasn't afraid to even let his hair down a bit when he wanted. My favorite memory of Dr. Jacques Rogge was over a decade ago in Vancouver 2010 when, during the final event of those Winter Olympics that was the classic Canada-USA men's hockey gold medal game, he personally awarded the medals at the ceremony inside the Rogers Arena in downtown Vancouver right next to the BC Place. When it came to Sidney Crosby's turn to get his gold who was last in the gold medal awarding, he upped his hand to encourage the Team Canada fans to cheer and give it up for their national golden goal hero in a game that garnered a Canadian national TV record and celebrations across the nation! So no doubt he enjoyed watching a thrilling game.