Atlanta 1984

I never knew this - but in 1977 Atlanta undertook a detailed study into a bid to host the 1984 Olympic Games. The study is a great snapshot of where the appetite for the Olympics was in the 1970s, identifies the need to focus on sustainability and making use of existing venues wherever possible (it highlights Munich and Montreal as key lessons in avoiding cost overruns resulting from grandiose venues). However unlike LA84 (and 1996) it still proposed a reliance on federal and state funding to make the 'modest' proposal feasible. 

Major capital investment was envisaged for the main stadium, aquatics centre, velodrome and village - with everything else largely to take place in existing city and local school and university sports facilities. 

Venue options: 

• Expansion of Grant Field (now Bobby Dodd Stadium) or adapted Atlanta-Fulton Stadium (former baseball stadium located north of 1996 Centennial Stadium).
  • "Downtown" Aquatic Center to be handed over to YMCA Atlanta post-Games
  • Lakewood Fairgrounds 

Ultimately the continued fallout of Montreal and the findings of the study gave the City of Atlanta cold feat and it withdrew interest leaving LA and NY as the US candidates for 1984. 

default.jpg

Link

/\/\ Interesting find.  Just taking a quick glance at it, it seems to be a study undertaken by a group called Research Atlanta -- which I think they did on their own -- without any direction from the City of Atlanta, the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce or even the Coca-Cola Corporation.  

New York City was the only other serious rival of LA for -- remember, LA was always the bridesmaid for the earlier 1976 and 1980 runs; eventually winning 1984 by default when Tehran also dropped out --title of the Official US Bid City.  And being the winner by default, allowed it to dictate most of the terms on the IOC -- not the other way around.  Hence, there were no Paralympics imposed on LA.  They just included 3 wheelchair races in the regular T&F programme of the regular Games.  

How did you find this?  I wonder if this even fell into Billy Payne's hands.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The Paralympics weren't "imposed" on Atlanta in 1996 either. ACOG wanted nothing to do with them, so an independent group bid for and were awarded the Games. ACOG would offer token financial support, but little else. In fact, I read that when the Paralympians moved into the village they found their beds devoid of linen because ACOG had gathered them up after the Olympics and left the beds bare. I generally defend ACOG, but that just blew my mind that they couldn't let them borrow the bedsheets for a few weeks.

Did Billy Payne ever see this report? Don't know. I've seen two different stories about how he got the idea to pursue the Games. One was the desire to replicate the satisfaction he felt after raising the funds and building a new church sanctuary and the other was that he saw an article in the local paper about Nashville's interest in the Games and it was a case of if Nashville can do it, why not Atlanta?

18 hours ago, BTHarner said:

The Paralympics weren't "imposed" on Atlanta in 1996 either. ACOG wanted nothing to do with them, so an independent group bid for and were awarded the Games. ACOG would offer token financial support, but little else. In fact, I read that when the Paralympians moved into the village they found their beds devoid of linen because ACOG had gathered them up after the Olympics and left the beds bare. I generally defend ACOG, but that just blew my mind that they couldn't let them borrow the bedsheets for a few weeks. 

Well, you wouldn't use dirty linen, would you?   No; ACOG was already obligated to stage the Paras.  When Atlanta was selected in 1990, the IOC and the POC had already inked a more binding agmt that the chosen host Olympic cities would be OBLIGATED to host the Paras.  I just checked my notes.  The Paras' Ceremonial budget was part of the $7.5 million for the regular Awards and Torch Relay costs.  The first IOC-POC contract did not specify how much the host city should allocate to the Paras.  It has been ratified and been more detailed since.  

Did Billy Payne ever see this report? Don't know. I've seen two different stories about how he got the idea to pursue the Games. One was the desire to replicate the satisfaction he felt after raising the funds and building a new church sanctuary and the other was that he saw an article in the local paper about Nashville's interest in the Games and it was a case of if Nashville can do it, why not Atlanta?

Could;ve been both and there was a 3rd angle.  So, there was the church thing; then Payne saw the Seoul 1988 coverage; and was inspired by that.  And then Georgia Dome was set to go; then plans were announced that the old Fulton County Stadium had a death sentence -- so the major pieces all seemed to fall into place at the right time. And July 1990 was just like 22 months away.