Russia planning 2036 Olympic Games bid with several possible host cities under consideration

GBModerator

Unless the IOC wants to commit suicide, they shouldn't be giving 2036 to Germany.  Can you hear the commentators?  "Like Paris, Ruhr 2036 makes the centennial anniversary of the Nazi games on 1936 in Berlin .  ."  Hello??

Germany;s time for another SOG will have to wait until 2040.  Coates stole a beat on them by quickly sneaking Brisbane in there.  2036 will be between Seoul. St. Pete, Istanbul and probably an Amsterdam- Bruxelles bids.  Too soon too for Guadalajara, Mexico.  

There‘s enough domestic concerns about such a „centennial“ already, and with the DOSB in turmoil right now, I doubt there‘s going to come much out of a German bid for 2036. 

So the IOC need not worry, they can still commit suicide by other means of course.

2 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

There‘s enough domestic concerns about such a „centennial“ already, and with the DOSB in turmoil right now, I doubt there‘s going to come much out of a German bid for 2036. 

So the IOC need not worry, they can still commit suicide by other means of course.

Hang on, my bad that I forgot that Rhine-Ruhr never withdrew from the perpetual, I mean continous dialogue which it didn‘t even officially start.

3 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Hang on, my bad that I forgot that Rhine-Ruhr never withdrew from the perpetual, I mean continous dialogue which it didn‘t even officially start.

There is no “offical start”.  

There is no bidding.

It is called Continuous Dialogue.   Dialogue is talking or communicating.

Rhine Rhur were talking to the IOC Future Host Commission and this was reported by the media.

They even criticised the new process and the IOC Future Host Commission returned fire.

If you want, I can the media reports about this.  Let me know and I’ll post it here for you.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Yes, I do think the IOC will sooner than later bring back a sinner turned saint Russia. But even then, I very much doubt they would give them 2036 already in one or two years. Brisbane had an 11 year lead because they offered the least to worry option (plus Coates) for the IOC, not because they were first out of the gate. Even Bach knows that at this point in time, being in bed with Russia again will not be the least to worry option. Unless there is no other of course.

I think we‘re all falling for another Kremlin game here if we consider this already like a done deal. Could be they want to build early pressure that other contenders throw the towel even before the start because they take this fatalistic approach that is already visible in this thread. 

There should at least be five more years before we really know who has 2036 ambitions and of those, who is the most serious. It might be Russia, but who knows…

This. 

The IOC are still dealing with the blowback of Sochi - from the doping “ban” (or non-ban) to continuing great reluctance of suitors to take on a winter games. And Beijing’s hardly going to generate much positive Games-hosting vibes. From purely their own senses of self-interest the IOC know Russia’s damaged goods still at this point of time. But they’re not pressed for time anyway. At least five years before they have to engage with anyone seriously for 2036. Who knows what will happen in that time - most of us would love to see Russia rehabilitated and get St Pete’s a games as a reward. Maybe the IOC may have no other choice. More likely a more appetising aspirant will emerge. Personally my early money would still be on Madrid, despite what the nitpickers and fault finders would have us believe.
The priority for the IOC atm is 2030. THAT’S starting to get a bit urgent. Anything beyond is just a bit of early clutter right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

If you want, I can the media reports about this.  Let me know and I’ll post it here for you.

Yes, please find those media reports for him, cause that's what he 'wants', since he's been "living under a rock". lmao

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Personally my early money would still be on Madrid, despite what the nitpickers and fault finders would have us believe.

So crippling heat & a stadium issue, for starters, is nitpicking & fault finding? I'm sure the athletes that were taken to hospitals at Tokyo 2020ne for heat exhaustion would beg to differ. Not to mention the other athletes that were just miserable for their competitions because of the heat.

9 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

The priority for the IOC atm is 2030. THAT’S starting to get a bit urgent. Anything beyond is just a bit of early clutter right now. 

And whose fault was that? The IOC chose to skip 2030 in order to focus on 2032, when hence, 2030 should've been the urgency to begin with. And 'early clutter' is what makes these boards a buzz. Always has. It's at least waking up this ghost town that was once GB's.

6 minutes ago, FYI said:

So crippling heat & a stadium issue, for starters, is nitpicking & fault finding? I'm sure the athletes that were taken to hospitals at Tokyo 2020ne for heat exhaustion would beg to differ. Not to mention the other athletes that were just miserable for their competitions because of the heat.

And whose fault was that? The IOC chose to skip 2030 in order to focus on 2032, when hence, 2030 should've been the urgency to begin with. And 'early clutter' is what makes these boards a buzz. Always has. It's at least waking up this ghost town that was once GB's.

Hmmm,  let me think,  I wonder why they decided to delay consideration of 2030.  Gee, that’s a hard one.

Aah yes,……… that’s right.

It might have a little something to do with Salt Lake City 2030 candidature being only 2 years after LA2028.

and then there is the favourite Sapporo 2030 currently stuck between a rock and a hard place as to whether their Candidature goes forward or is withdrawn.

29 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

This. 

The IOC are still dealing with the blowback of Sochi - from the doping “ban” (or non-ban) to continuing great reluctance of suitors to take on a winter games. And Beijing’s hardly going to generate much positive Games-hosting vibes. From purely their own senses of self-interest the IOC know Russia’s damaged goods still at this point of time. But they’re not pressed for time anyway. At least five years before they have to engage with anyone seriously for 2036. Who knows what will happen in that time - most of us would love to see Russia rehabilitated and get St Pete’s a games as a reward. Maybe the IOC may have no other choice. More likely a more appetising aspirant will emerge. Personally my early money would still be on Madrid, despite what the nitpickers and fault finders would have us believe.

Absolutely.

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Hmmm,  let me think,  I wonder why they decided to delay consideration of 2030.  Gee, that’s a hard one.

Aah yes,……… that’s right.

It might have a little something to do with Salt Lake City 2030 candidature being only 2 years after LA2028.

and then there is the favourite Sapporo 2030 currently stuck between a rock and a hard place as to whether their Candidature goes forward or is withdrawn.

All the more reason to have focused on it first! Plus, wasn't this "new bidding process"  & the "new norm" suppose to bring all these cities out of the woodwork for bids?! Yet, here we are, even with the "delayed consideration", 2030 is starting to become an "urgency" for the IOC. Go figure.

30 minutes ago, FYI said:

Looking at the charts, Madrid’s average July high temp is 32c, August it’s 31c. And that’s dry heat, not the oppressive humid heat of Tokyo. I’m sure they also get higher temp spikes - as anywhere does. Three years ago in LA I spent the day before July 4 in queues at Universal Studios in 44c. 

The stadium issue so many are decrying? Athletics no longer needs to be in the main stadium. Rio pioneered that. The IOC’s already demonstrated flexibility in what it used to mandate for venues. There are options beyond relying on a football stadium.

30 minutes ago, FYI said:

It’s not like they chose to skip it, but more they still haven’t had anybody pony up with anything concrete yet. And I still blame the Sochi blowback a lot for that.

I hope the board’s recent renaissance may continue. But, really, I’m pessimistic it’ll probably go back to holding pattern post-Beijing. I’d like nothing more than to be wrong about that though.

Edited by Sir Rols

Just now, FYI said:

All the more reason to have focused on it first! Plus, wasn't this "new bidding process"  & the "new norm" suppose to bring all these cities out of the woodwork for bids?! Yet, here we are, even with the "delayed consideration", 2030 is starting to become an "urgency" for the IOC. Go figure.

There is no logical compelling reason to run the Candidature selection chronologically by year.

That’s what we’re used to and that’s all it is.

2030 will be sorted out sometime between now and 2023.   While the traditional 7-years-before election has gone, I think that 7 years preparation time is still generally accepted these days as the “minimum games prep lead-in time”.

Who knows, a 2036 SOG host might also be selected before a 2034 host.

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

Looking at the charts, Madrid’s average July high temp is 32c, August it’s 31c. And that’s dry heat, not the oppressive humid heat of Tokyo. I’m sure they also get higher temp spikes - as anywhere does. Three years ago in LA I spent the day before July 4 in queues at Universal Studios in 44c. 

Ugh, had to do the conversion to Fahrenheit. Anyway, yeah, those are the averages. But during the weeks of Tokyo 2020ne, Madrid was averaging OVER 100 degrees (that's over 38 in Celsius) each day! And especially when you're an endurance athlete, I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if it's a dry or humid heat. It's still HOT.  

And yeah, I actually thought about L.A. the other day. But with climate change & all, 2028 isn't going to be as pleasant as it was in 1984. July of 2021 was the 'hottest July on record'. And it's probably going to be worse by the time L.A. hosts again. I'm sure they'll be more collapsing athletes then too. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s not like they chose to skip it, but more they still haven’t had anybody pony up with anything concrete yet.

The IOC already knows that SLC really, really wants another Winter Olympics. How much more concrete than that does it need to get. I think more of the issue is, that the IOC is just holding off to see if some one else plausible comes along, so that they don't have to cut some sort of financial incentive for having 2028 & 2030 too close together in the U.S.

28 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

There is no logical compelling reason to run the Candidature selection chronologically by year.

That’s what we’re used to and that’s all it is.

2030 will be sorted out sometime between now and 2023.   While the traditional 7-years-before election has gone, I think that 7 years preparation time is still generally accepted these days as the “minimum games prep lead-in time”.

Who knows, a 2036 SOG host might also be selected before a 2034 host.

There was also no logical compelling reason to award 2032 11-years out, either. It still could've been done 9, or even 8 years out. It was only rushed by the EB, in order to appease a certain VP with his special gift. 

12 minutes ago, FYI said:

There was also no logical compelling reason to award 2032 11-years out, either. It still could've been done 9, or even 8 years out. It was only rushed by the EB, in order to appease a certain VP with his special gift. 

If you are unhappy with why they did it and they did what they did ….  then write in and ask them if it keeps you awake at night.

But, regardless,  the IOC Future Host Commission will still choose who to elevate and at which point in time that they do so.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Unless the IOC wants to commit suicide, they shouldn't be giving 2036 to Germany.  Can you hear the commentators?  "Like Paris, Ruhr 2036 makes the centennial anniversary of the Nazi games on 1936 in Berlin .  ."  Hello??

My feeling is 1936 will get a few brief mentions and that'll be that. I don't think that's really a worry. We'll quickly get onto the ceremonies and the sport, and there'll be a huge amount of goodwill towards the city and the country. And even if it hosted in 2040 instead, you're not going to avoid the fact the main stadium is what it is historically, but I'm sure broadcasters will deal with that well. I don't share your negative prognosis.

Really, it's whether Germany feels comfortable hosting in 2036. That's what matters. If the IOC is still so leary about well-known history that it can't accept a good Germany bid for 2036, then that's a bid sad. Espeically if that Germany bid turns out to be the best on offer.

Edited by Rob.

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Ugh, had to do the conversion to Fahrenheit. Anyway, yeah, those are the averages. But during the weeks of Tokyo 2020ne, Madrid was averaging OVER 100 degrees (that's over 38 in Celsius) each day! And especially when you're an endurance athlete, I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if it's a dry or humid heat. It's still HOT.  

Ummm. No it didn’t. Here’s what Madrid experienced this year at games time:

51386186203_5d5b2d6240_k.jpg51386213643_72f0c45176_n.jpg

That was three days at 36C, one of 35C, and the rest ranging from 27 to 33. Right around the average. Hot but not unpleasantly so. And quite nice nights, even a bit coolish on some of them (15-16C). But that’s the Summer Games for you. About the only ones that didn’t get so summery hot over the past 30 years were Sydney (Spring) and London (well, it’s England). 

2 hours ago, FYI said:

The IOC already knows that SLC really, really wants another Winter Olympics. How much more concrete than that does it need to get. I think more of the issue is, that the IOC is just holding off to see if some one else plausible comes along, so that they don't have to cut some sort of financial incentive for having 2028 & 2030 too close together in the U.S.

SLC might really, really want them, but the USOC so far has been no more than perhaps. Just as Vancouver and Quebec City have expressed interest, but the Canadian Olympic Committee has made no commitment either. Neither them or the IOC have got to the point of talking business. So, no, nothing concrete yet. Just two possible likely contenders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

My feeling is 1936 will get a few brief mentions and that'll be that. I don't think that's really a worry. We'll quickly get onto the ceremonies and the sport, and there'll be a huge amount of goodwill towards the city and the country. And even if it hosted in 2040 instead, you're not going to avoid the fact the main stadium is what it is historically, but I'm sure broadcasters will deal with that well. I don't share your negative prognosis.

Really, it's whether Germany feels comfortable hosting in 2036. That's what matters. If the IOC is still so leary about well-known history that it can't accept a good Germany bid for 2036, then that's a bid sad. Espeically if that Germany bid turns out to be the best on offer.

Actually, I forget that the Germans are floating that combined Ruhr-Germany-Israel bid.  On the surface it like a good attempt to paint a positive slant on the 1936 resonance -- but is it feasible?  I know there is the bizarre Paris-Tahiti gimmick they are pulling, but a combined Germany-Israel bid presents problems of its own.  What events can they give Israel that will not involve the hostile Arab countries' athletes? 

Oops, forgot there was Munich 1972 also.  I can see why such an idea is a dead pipe dream.  I think Germany's least controversial next hosting turn should just be a winter one.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Ummm. No it didn’t. Here’s what Madrid experienced this year at games time:

I know when I looked it up in real time, particular the latter half of the Tokyo 2020ne Games, which was the August portion, virtually all of those days were above 100F, & a couple of those days were 106F & 107F. So who knows. But again, dry heat or not, for athletes who will be competing outside, that'd hardly still be a comfort to them. When you're running a marathon & start to sweat, the heat starts to stick to you regardless. Unless of course, they do all the outdoor competitions at night that is. But then again, it's not like the IOC takes the athletes considerations as priority anyway,

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

SLC might really, really want them, but the USOC so far has been no more than perhaps. Just as Vancouver and Quebec City have expressed interest, but the Canadian Olympic Committee has made no commitment either. Neither them or the IOC have got to the point of talking business. So, no, nothing concrete yet. Just two possible likely contenders.

It's more than just 'perhaps'. The USOC already made their domestic decision between Denver & Reno before finally selecting SLC a few years ago. So they're already well ahead of the Canadians in that regard. So it's more that the IOC is not 'dialoging' with the USOC about 2030 as of yet. But that's suppose to change very drastically now that the Tokyo Games are over & done with, according to the USOC president last month.

28 minutes ago, FYI said:

I know when I looked it up in real time, particular the latter half of the Tokyo 2020ne Games, which was the August portion, virtually all of those days were above 100F, & a couple of those days were 106F & 107F. So who knows. But again, dry heat or not, for athletes who will be competing outside, that'd hardly still be a comfort to them. When you're running a marathon & start to sweat, the heat starts to stick to you regardless. Unless of course, they do all the outdoor competitions at night that is. But then again, it's not like the IOC takes the athletes considerations as priority anyway,

The thing with heat consideration for athletes competing is not just the air temperature or the heat beating down on you -- particularly for the longer races, it's also the heat from the pavement pushing up.  Supposedly the tracks at Tokyo (and I think the blue Field hockey courts) are heat-absorbent; and supposedly, so is the track at Eugene, Oregon, for next summer's IAAF championships, so . . . it's really more than just what the temp reading is. 

I suppose they could commission something like this over a 13.1-mile course (and just run the loop twice) but then again, Christo is already dead.  But if they did erect a shaded course, adding even some mist spritzers, I wonder how much it would cost?  They could always auction off portions of it after the Games to amortize the initial costs. 

See the source image

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Actually, I forget that the Germans are floating that combined Ruhr-Germany-Israel bid.  On the surface it like a good attempt to paint a positive slant on the 1936 resonance -- but is it feasible?  I know there is the bizarre Paris-Tahiti gimmick they are pulling, but a combined Germany-Israel bid presents problems of its own.  What events can they give Israel that will not involve the hostile Arab countries' athletes? 

Oops, forgot there was Munich 1972 also.  I can see why such an idea is a dead pipe dream.  I think Germany's least controversial next hosting turn should just be a winter one.  

"The Germans"....seriously, that was a non-starter from an attention-seeking fool which was laughed off in German media for days and then died. It made Tulsa seem credible. (and it was a Berlin-Tel Aviv idea, I think, not Rhine-Ruhr).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Well, they weren’t. A sustained two weeks heat wave of high 30s-early 40s would have been world news. Madrid’s not some extreme outlier like Doha, it’s right in line with sweltering each morning thunderstorm each afternoon Atlanta, baking hot Athens, hot and smoggy Beijing and sultry Rio. On Madrid’s temps, a morning marathon like Tokyo’s would have actually been quite pleasant (17 to early 20s). It’s the summer games, heat is and always was a factor, and extremes have to be countered in anywhere, particularly in NBC’s decreed July-August window.

Where Tokyo upped the ante was its extreme humidity. Now Canadians and other northerners may laugh at our naïveté about cold, but when it comes to high temps any Australian will tell you “it’s not the heat that’ll kill you, it’s the humidity”. The basic biomechanics are humidity prevents sweat from evaporating and cooling your body, thus overheating it dramatically. Basically the opposite of wind chill factor. And it makes a huge difference.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

It's more than just 'perhaps'. The USOC already made their domestic decision between Denver & Reno before finally selecting SLC a few years ago. So they're already well ahead of the Canadians in that regard. So it's more that the IOC is not 'dialoging' with the USOC about 2030 as of yet. But that's suppose to change very drastically now that the Tokyo Games are over & done with, according to the USOC president last month.

SLC certainly is the most likely back-up plan, but it’s far from the ideal plan from the IOC’s and USOC’s point of view - hence the need to cut a financial deal and why more concrete negotiations haven’t progressed yet (though I’d guess those would be starting more in earnest now and will pick up on the margins of Beijing, along with more pointed inquiries of any other possible contenders like Canada). And that was the point - that’s the priority now before sifting through the list of who might be in it for the long haul in 2036.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1