Russia planning 2036 Olympic Games bid with several possible host cities under consideration

GBModerator

Russia is considering 2036 Olympic Games bids from among ‘several’ cities across the nation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said while addressing Olympic medalists returning from Tokyo last week. According to TASS, Lavrov stressed the urgency for interested Russian cities to come forward now if they hope to be considered. “Several cities have already submitted […]

The post Russia planning 2036 Olympic Games bid with several possible host cities under consideration appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

48 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

"restrictions are expected to be lifted before the end of 2022", well, there ya have it.  As I said.  Bygones are bygones.  Russia and the IOC put on their dog and pony show to show Russia got punished.  Russia bids for 2036 will be fair game.  All aboard for St Petersburg I suppose

Not likely.

There are other viable candidates in a very crowded 2036 field that will make it easy for the Future Host Commission to easily by-pass Russia.

But it seems like being first is what matters - and Russia have a big lead in that, as well as no obstacles in the way of getting the bid to the IOC. The narrative of a redemption of Russia and bringing them back in is already being carefully built by Bach too, probably with this in mind - I strongly suspect this bid and the negotiations with the IOC are a LOT further advanced than anyone's letting on. Unless Madrid or someone else (Istanbul? Netherlands?) pulls their finger out I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if St Petersburg is awarded the Games at some point next year, 2023 at the latest. It's all in the other cities' court now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

But it seems like being first is what matters - and Russia have a big lead in that, as well as no obstacles in the way of getting the bid to the IOC. The narrative of a redemption of Russia and bringing them back in is already being carefully built by Bach too, probably with this in mind - I strongly suspect this bid and the negotiations with the IOC are a LOT further advanced than anyone's letting on. Unless Madrid or someone else (Istanbul? Netherlands?) pulls their finger out I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if St Petersburg is awarded the Games at some point next year, 2023 at the latest. It's all in the other cities' court now. 

This guy gets it, and yeah, the "rehabilitation" theme is already firmly under way.  

I love the Madrid idea, but the track stadium is going to be their back breaker.  I cannot figure out how they will undertake that.  Im not sure having the track event in Sevilla or Barca is going to work out.  

Should've added that with Madrid, there's not even any sea to moderate the heat for literally hundreds of miles, plus I don't know if the fact Madrid is VERY high would hurt its chances. I'd love to see Madrid host it, but there's just so many problems I can't see them getting past them all. I actually think if they don't want Barcelona 2, Valencia might even be a better bet for Spain. 

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

Should've added that with Madrid, there's not even any sea to moderate the heat for literally hundreds of miles, plus I don't know if the fact Madrid is VERY high would hurt its chances. I'd love to see Madrid host it, but there's just so many problems I can't see them getting past them all. I actually think if they don't want Barcelona 2, Valencia might even be a better bet for Spain. 

Valencia, if you have Seoul, the Ruhr and even St. Petersburg?   :blink:  I can see Russia's theme in its St. Petersburg or Rostov's bid.   They will cloak it in Imperial Russian trappings. 

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

The entire 2032 field, are already in Continuous Dialogue for future games.

So before Russia have even put their hand up for 2036, ie entered Continuous Dialogue, there is already a field of candidates in there already, including Madrid and Rhine Rhur Germany.

How long a candidate has been in Continuous Dialogue matters not.  It’s what you do while you’re in there that matters.

Sorry guys but Russia is still dope-stained and banned from the Olympic Games as we speak. 

A rehabilitated Russia would be great for world sport and for those keen to to a Games in St Petersburg.

But let’s stay real here.    Actions speak louder than words.

There is no indication in media reports or from the IOC that the arrogant Russian Government is rehabilitating.  Maybe they are behind closed, who knows …  but all I know is that as a competing country, Russia is still banned from the Olympic Games.

The IOC is about to evict the whole sport of weightlifting from the Olympic Games.

Rhine Rhur or Madrid would have a much better chance for 2036 than a banned Russia.

If Tokyo 2020ne has taught the IOC anything, is to stay away from cities with stifling heat in July/August. So that leaves Madrid out (along with it's other hurdles), unless the IOC wants to give them a "waiver" so they could host in October. Otherwise, it should be a no-go, for the athletes sake.

The IOC would be incredibly stupid if they entered into "Continuous Dialogue" with Russia at this point in time.  They need to get Beijing and all of the criticism they've, deservedly, earned for awarding the the Olympics to Sochi and Beijing (both Summer & Winter) on the promises of improving human rights in those countries, not over-spending to build venues, etc in the rearview mirror before they engage Russia in talks to host a future Summer Olympics.  Give 2036 to Germany (if they want it) or London (if they are serious about putting together a bid) and tell Moscow to wait until at least 2040, possibly longer.  

• Like 1

Well, but that's the million dollar question, though, isn't it. If Germany (or the Netherlands) wants it. In a perfect world, the IOC could have their pick of who ever they wanted. But the reality is (& much to their own selfish doing), that many democratic nations have been slamming the door right in their faces these past number of bidding cycles, because hosting the Olympics has become that much more detrimental & mega expensive for most cities to endure now. So the IOC has gotten themselves into a position where they have to settle with what half-way decent bids that they can get their over-zealous hands on. Hence, the "new bidding process". Where they can "lock in" their latest suckers even much earlier, so they can sleep that much better at night with much more ease lately.

Oh lots of things to digest in this thread already…let‘s see:

No, not all potential 2032 bidders are in dialogue for 2036 - certainly not Germany for now.

Yes, I do think the IOC will sooner than later bring back a sinner turned saint Russia. But even then, I very much doubt they would give them 2036 already in one or two years. Brisbane had an 11 year lead because they offered the least to worry option (plus Coates) for the IOC, not because they were first out of the gate. Even Bach knows that at this point in time, being in bed with Russia again will not be the least to worry option. Unless there is no other of course.

I think we‘re all falling for another Kremlin game here if we consider this already like a done deal. Could be they want to build early pressure that other contenders throw the towel even before the start because they take this fatalistic approach that is already visible in this thread. 

There should at least be five more years before we really know who has 2036 ambitions and of those, who is the most serious. It might be Russia, but who knows…

• Like 2

I agree that 2036 likely won't be awarded in a year or two. But judging by the so-called, new bidding process, it shouldn't take more than five years, either. Currently, it looks to be more like three or four years. Either at the Paris 2024 Olympics, or at a separate IOC session in 2025, or even at Milan-Cortina 2026, at the latest.

49 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Oh lots of things to digest in this thread already…let‘s see:

No, not all potential 2032 bidders are in dialogue for 2036 - certainly not Germany for now.

Yes, I do think the IOC will sooner than later bring back a sinner turned saint Russia. But even then, I very much doubt they would give them 2036 already in one or two years. Brisbane had an 11 year lead because they offered the least to worry option (plus Coates) for the IOC, not because they were first out of the gate. Even Bach knows that at this point in time, being in bed with Russia again will not be the least to worry option. Unless there is no other of course.

I think we‘re all falling for another Kremlin game here if we consider this already like a done deal. Could be they want to build early pressure that other contenders throw the towel even before the start because they take this fatalistic approach that is already visible in this thread. 

There should at least be five more years before we really know who has 2036 ambitions and of those, who is the most serious. It might be Russia, but who knows…

There is no separate dialogue for each edition of the Games.

Continuous Dialogue means Continuous.  

Unless a candidate withdraws from the Continuous Dialogue for the Olympic Games, then they remain in Continuous Dialogue.

Has Rhine Rhur Germany formally withdrawn from Continuous Dialogue? 

10 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

There is no separate dialogue for each edition of the Games.

Continuous Dialogue means Continuous.  

Unless a candidate withdraws from the Continuous Dialogue for the Olympic Games, then they remain in Continuous Dialogue.

Has Rhine Rhur Germany formally withdrawn from Continuous Dialogue? 

They never formally entered it TBW, from IOC perspective. That was the core of the row between DOSB and IOC.

So, in this and the other thread the one in continuous dialogue is you with yourself bringing up non-existing facts to bolster your arguments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StefanMUC said:

They never formally entered it TBW, from IOC perspective. That was the core of the row between DOSB and IOC.

So, in this and the other thread the one in continuous dialogue is you with yourself bringing up non-existing facts to bolster your arguments.

There ‘s no argument mate.  I didnt design this new process, the IOC did.

Unless you have been living under a rock, Rhine Rhur were in Continous Dialogue for 2032 and even protested at this new way of doing things.

Continuous Dialogue is simply a new name for having talks with the IOC Future Host Commission.

See the diagram below.

The big yellow continuous arrow across the top is Continous Dialogue.   That’s where Rhine Rhur is until they tell the IOC Future Host Commission that they are withdrawing completely.

Yes, it has all changed.

l2I67kt.jpg

3 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I know you‘re deaf to any argument, so I‘ll leave you to it.

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

He reminds me of PuFF in that regard. :lol:

If you want to stick your heads in the sand,  rather than understand the new Olympic Candidature selection process, knock yourselves out.