Everything I see about Jolly in particular, but the rest of the organisers too, just makes the whole thing more interesting & makes me feel more optimistic about it. As I said a while ago, he comes across as exactly the right kind of crazy :)

• Thanks 1

Ha!  Paris uses an existing river.  But 3 other cities did it BETTER previously.  They invited the sea / the Pacific Ocean into their stadium and went about telling their stories.  That is MORE DIFFICULT, CHALLENGING and IMAGINATIVE than actually using a water way that's already been there for centuries. 

1st, in 1990, the start of a Trifecta of beckoning a large body of water to tell your story in a controlled environment -- at the Opening of the Auckland 1990 CWG Games.  They "flushed in" the Pacific Ocean (at the 17:00 mark) 

Then in 1991, in Athens at the Med Games opening (and the same ceremony where Juan Antonio Samaranch was booed by the crowd because Athens had lost the 1996 Games to Atlanta).  

ANd finally in Barcelona 1992, the Catalonians flushed in a silvery, shimmerning Mediterranean a second time: 

But with a lot of the evil things around our world -- including a foreshadowing of AIDs, Covid and all the other plagues caused by viruses!!  Now, THAT in my book, is PURE IMAGINATION and SHEER MAGIC!!  And they did this WITHOUT turning a living city inside out.  

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

As some of you may know, I am going to Paris for the Games. Does anyone know where I can go to watch the ceremony? Either as a live site or taking advantage of the free viewing points?

Here's the Games Map, listing events that are taking place in France related to the Games. https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/games-map

There's a Games broadcasting option in the filters (unfold Celebration events to find it) to see public places where the Games will be broadcasted. I guess more will be added to the map before the Olympics.

I don't think trying to find a free viewing point is the best thing to do: even the free tickets will have a limited visibility so it's gonna be worse for an even further location and the security will be very important, it's not even sure they'll let you stay here for hours.

Team Australia House should not be open to the public but others are (the ones with a blue spot on the map below), you can check if they're doing something for the opening ceremony.

spacer.png

On 6/10/2024 at 12:25 PM, Victorian said:

As some of you may know, I am going to Paris for the Games. Does anyone know where I can go to watch the ceremony? Either as a live site or taking advantage of the free viewing points?

Hello Victorian! I will be in Paris too for the games and I wonder the same as you... Where Can I watch the ceremony in a Fan Fest???

18 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

And for the artists who will be present at the OOC, with... Dua Lipa ?!

Oh, yay!! I know it's not confirmed yet, but (if she's smart) I hope that she says YES!!! 🥰 She was on SNL again (for the like the 3rd time) a few weeks ago. But this last time, both as host & performer.

53 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

As long as she can turn “Imagine” into a dance number…

I'm sure she can! In her latest video, I love how she pays homage to Kylie's Slow, with the (Olympic) City of Barcelona in the backdrop from the 1992 diving venue. So would only be fitting for DL for more Olympic 'allusions'! ^_^

6 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Just to remember:

The "no official" Opening Ceremony of 1998 FIFA World Cup.

Spanish spoken. Channel 13, Argentina.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

As long as she can turn “Imagine” into a dance number…

If Dua Lipa is indeed present, it seems it would be only to sing a duet with Cerrone, so I don't think she will also sing Imagine. Especially since we are expecting around twenty artists. But hey, if the Celine Dion rumor is confirmed... maybe she will be able to sing Imagine? We're going to say that it will make the moment less boring.

so I don't think she will also sing Imagine.

I'm sure that comment was made mostly in jest anyway. Since it seems that many Olympic ceremonials around here, are already simply tired of Imagine (so it was a way to maybe spice it up for once ^_^)! 

• Like 1

The technical rehearsal for all the boats that will take part in the Parade of Nations in the Seine during the opening ceremony (the boats for delegations but also those for security, those used by OBS...) is now planned on June 24.

The boats that didn't take part in the first test last year will also have their technical test on June 17.

https://www.leparisien.fr/jo-paris-2024/jo-paris-2024-la-repetition-generale-des-bateaux-pour-la-ceremonie-douverture-programmee-le-24-juin-13-06-2024-DDS3XLR7OZF3BG4ELSGJJKN2B4.php

9 hours ago, Cyriln said:

The technical rehearsal for all the boats that will take part in the Parade of Nations in the Seine during the opening ceremony (the boats for delegations but also those for security, those used by OBS...) is now planned on June 24.

La fete du St. Jean Baptiste!  Intentional or coincidence??  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

La fete du St. Jean Baptiste!  Intentional or coincidence??  

They should just play the Forró and Quadrilha at the reharsal Brazil stand-in, just to seize the moment!

I'll post some more photos from the rehearsal. Please note that the countries displayed on certain boats are purely indicative, they will probably not be the correct delegations for the boats concerned (safety issues).

But before giving you these other photos, there is certain information which was revealed today by Thierry Reboul on the question which seemed to interest a lot of people here: "how the delegations will be shown on TV ?”

There would therefore be several "waves" of boats, which will be "announced to the world" (meaning: will appear on televisions around the world) at different times, in different places. That is to say that you can for example have a first group of 15 boats shown around 8 p.m. next to Notre-Dame, then then a second group of 15 boats shown around 8:30 p.m. next to the Louvre... knowing that the idea is to mix the artistic part and the parade of athletes (hence, I imagine, the fact of proceeding in waves).

It requires coordination almost to the second so that the 85 boats are in the right place at the right time. But apparently today's tests were much more conclusive than in 2023, where the boats were apparently on time almost to the second. And obviously the IOC approves all of this, before validating this way of doing things they asked Thomas Jolly for a storyboard of around twenty minutes to explain his vision, and it visibly convinced them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1