45 minutes ago, Guilga said:

You gotta hear it in full, it was fully played at the Flame arrival in Marseille. I just couldn't stop myself repeating that part later, the orchestral only part is just the intro, later it blends with the band rather well in my view. (at the stream in the Olympics channel if it's available in Australia, time stamp 56:23)

Watched it through now. Yeah, it’s catchy, but I still found the Tokyo handover piece more stirring. Parts of that full version sounded like a 1970s cop show theme. Nice enough, but it didn’t, to me at least, have that “cool” factor that’s impressed me with everything Paris has done so far.

• Like 1

I don't mind the track overall but yeah it goes from Hollywood score to sub-Daft Punk electronic/orchestral hybrid track then straight into Mario Kart/variety show territory.

1 hour ago, DamC said:

I don't mind the track overall but yeah it goes from Hollywood score to sub-Daft Punk electronic/orchestral hybrid track then straight into Mario Kart/variety show territory.

Interesting that you mention Daft Punk. Basically, Victor le Masne comes from the French touch. It started in 2005 when he co-founded the Housse de Racket duo. Maybe this music means something to you, it has been used a lot in pubs (especially in France in fact):

After three albums, the duo stopped in 2012. Then, Victor le Masne remained in the world of French touch: he collaborated with Kavinsky (Nightcall, Drive, Ryan Gosling... it would make a good soundtrack for the Tom Cruise sequence for the LA 2028 handover, that would be a wink to France) or even with Gaspard Augé, half of the Justice duo (their latest album, released two weeks ago, is great, BTW ). Recently, he has moved out of this musical register by also collaborating with artists from the French pop scene. And his meeting with Thomas Jolly dates back to Starmania, a very popular musical comedy in France which dates from 1979 and which Thomas Jolly has been offering in a new version since 2022. Victor le Masne is the musical director of this new version.

That's it for the little story. And indeed, in this new theme of Paris 2024, we find all these inspirations. I think we appreciate it better by dividing the whole thing into several pieces, because if we listen to it in its entirety it sounds a bit "messy" in the sense that there are too many things and we can have the impression that it's something where we wanted to put everything (a bit like a cooking recipe where by adding too many ingredients that we like, the final result becomes average).

That said, for the opening ceremony, it's still promising; because we can clearly see that Victor le Masne manages to manage several different musical genres, and he will have to master quite a few for the story that will be told during the opening ceremony.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:37 AM, sebastien1214 said:

News about the opening ceremony (and not only that). First of all, the announcement of the musical director of the ceremonies who is Victor le Masne. It was he who notably composed the version of the Marseillaise for the Tokyo 2020 handover. He is also in charge of the official musical theme for Paris 2024, of which here is an extract:

july 26 cannot come soon enough.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:37 PM, sebastien1214 said:

- The only non-French music will be... Imagine by John Lennon who will be back for the umpteenth time (this is the bad news of the day)

Yeah, I hope they remove this f*cking song for good as soon as the Olympic Champion in Fencing leaves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 5:43 AM, sebastien1214 said:

I had totally forgotten about that. It must be said that I don't really follow celebrity news...

Coming back to the extract of the Olympic theme which was revealed, I hadn't noticed it at all but I'm seeing more and more comments on social networks which point out the fact that they were funnyly inspired by Jurassic Park. Having not seen any of the films I didn't notice it, but it looks very... similar.

Speaking of the Naumachia . . .  

SCOOP!  My spy in the Estanguet camp tells me that this will be the first water-borne cauldron in history!!  It will be lit aboard a special barge in front of the Trocadero then it will travel the reverse route of the earlier Athletes' Fluvial parade to be placed by the Bassin Fountain.  It will be much like Wayne Gretzky traveled with the torch after the formal part of the Vancouver 2010 OC to light the cauldron by the pier.  But this time, the cauldron itself will be travelling at night.  Don't say I didn't warn you!! 

Some photos found on Twitter of the progress of the stands for the Trocadéro (where the opening ceremony will end, as a reminder).

I must admit that what seems to resemble a metal "arch", in front of a side stand... intrigues me.

And there is another structure under construction at the Trocadéro, between the two buildings which form the Palais de Chaillot (therefore aligned with the Eiffel Tower). I saw a few months ago that NBC & France Télévisions would have their studio at the Trocadéro, it seems that this structure under construction corresponds to these temporary studios. This therefore makes the idea of having an Olympic cauldron at the Trocadéro for the opening ceremony less likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I think those horizontal girders are for lights should the daytime Beach-Volleyball matches continue into the night.  Plus, they might also mount some fireworks on there for a nightly show?? 

This is much too far from the Eiffel Tower stadium, which is about 1km from these griders. For the fireworks, I imagine that they will be fired directly from the Eiffel Tower, as for every Bastille Day.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

This is much too far from the Eiffel Tower stadium, which is about 1km from these griders. For the fireworks, I imagine that they will be fired directly from the Eiffel Tower, as for every Bastille Day.

Oh, are these the stands at the Troc in front of the Palais de Chaillot?  If so, then those girders are definitely for the lights since the latter half of the OC will take part at night.  

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, are these the stands at the Troc in front of the Palais de Chaillot?  If so, then those girders are definitely for the lights since the latter half of the OC will take part at night.  

Yes, these are the stands for the opening ceremony. In fact, I was thinking more of a kind of "wall" to hang artistic elements on, but yes it could simply be just lights.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:09 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Will there be a sequence called Cher-chez la FemmeB)  A hologram sequence over the water which starts as Jeanne d'Arc, morphing into Mme. duBarry morphing into St. Bernadette, then as Marie Curie (I know she's Polish) then Coco Chanel (yes, a collaboratrix), then Josephine Baker (yes, Yank) into Edith Piaf . . . then Leslie Caron . . .  Catherine Deneuve . . .  Audrey Tatou. and then Gabriella Papadakis -- then finally "Marianne"?    

I think about the post you posted, @baron-pierreIV, about your guesses or suggestions for scenes from the opening ceremony.

I recently came across this article in the Challenges newspaper, which at first glance has nothing to do with the opening ceremony.

https://www.challenges.fr/france/jo-tony-estanguet-capitaine-de-paris-2024-navigue-dans-la-tempete_890467

Yet...

“Okay, so, we haven’t finished annoying you? » This is how Xavier Darcos welcomes Tony Estanguet, this morning of Monday March 18. With this familiar question, the president of the Académie française inquires about the morale of the captain of Paris 2024 in his final stretch strewn with pitfalls. “Ah no, not really,” concedes Estanguet, with a smirk. But that's normal, the Olympics are exciting and everyone has an opinion on the issue. » The aim of this interview at the Institut de France: to put oil in the wheels in order to facilitate the opening of the massive Protector's door of the venerable building which overlooks the Seine, for the entry on stage of the star of the opening ceremony. It only opens for popes or certain foreign presidents on official visits.

After discussion, favor granted: the door will open on July 26.

It's funny, I almost have the impression that without meaning to, the article totally spoiled part of the opening ceremony. I mean, it makes me want to make a prediction.

Where is the Académie française located? As luck would have it, on the banks of the Seine, just opposite the Louvre. And guess what? There is a bridge that connects these two monuments: the Pont des Arts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another intriguing element: we know, according to the documents provided by the Minister of the Interior, that there will be no public in front of the Académie française, and that the Pont des Arts will host "logistical installations" ( = can be used for artistic elements of the opening ceremony).

Other elements that we know, even if it has not been officially announced (but hey, given the extent of the rumor and the source, it's as if it were official), that Aya Nakamura will sing Edith Piaf.

“the star of the opening ceremony”

And it's funny, because we also know that the Piaf song that should be used would be... l'hymne à l'amour. And it turns out that the Pont des Arts is perhaps the bridge which most symbolizes the cliché of Paris, city of love (even if there are no longer the padlocks).

It's starting to be too many coincidences. So, my prediction:

During the opening ceremony, one of the 12 scenes will be on the theme of love/romance/etc., this will be where we will hear Piaf, with Aya Nakamura arriving through the front door of the Académie française to sing L'hymne à l'amour. The scene will take place on the Pont des Arts and could serve as a transition for the scene which will take place at the Louvre. Bonus point if it's done at sunset, with the sky taking on pink hues. (after all, Thomas Jolly said he intended to use different natural lights; reasons why the ceremony will only partially take place in the middle of the night)

There you go, I'm making this prediction just because it would make me laugh if it's really going to happen like this on July 26: I'll just have to say "you read it here first".

For the rest, knowing that the Académie française is the institution which dictates the rules of French language, given the numerous racist remarks that Aya Nakamura received, in particular on the fact that she "does not speak French in her songs", the imagine singing from the Académie française (so, it means having the validation, ultimately, of those who make the French language, les Académiciens, les Immortels), it would be a beautiful message sent to all the anti-wokistes that we hear in France.

• Like 3

/\/\  Very Dan Brown-da Vinci/Illuminati Code, sebastien.  (Maybe there will be a "da Vinci Code" sequence since that international best-seller is mostly set in Paris!!  (Or maybe the LA Handover sequence will have Tom Cruise playing Prof. Langdon running away with a copy of "The Da Vinci Code" (instead of Tom Hanks) and taking it to LA and Hollywood??  Perhaps?? 

Two rehearsals for the boat parade planned for mid-June (there was one that was initially planned for May 27 but the flow of the Seine is too high so they postponed it). We note that there will ultimately be 85 boats for the delegations (the figure previously announced was 92); which may be the final number, I don't think it will change once the rehearsals are done.

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/jeux-olympiques/jo-2024-deux-nouvelles-dates-pour-le-test-technique-de-la-ceremonie-d-ouverture_AV-202405220665.html

Hi Guys!

Nice to be here again, so two months away from a new and this time historical Opening Ceremony.

I’ll be in Paris the day of the opening ceremony (still hoping to be on the Seine that day) and sincerely I wonder what will be he rhythm it will have on TV. I remember the Opening ceremony of the FIFA World Cup in 1998 where 4 giants crossed the historical centre of Paris and the show was slow and boring…

No much information we know about it, but I still think that almost 30 years later the show will be totally different and more dynamic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Hi Guys!

Nice to be here again, so two months away from a new and this time historical Opening Ceremony.

I’ll be in Paris the day of the opening ceremony (still hoping to be on the Seine that day) and sincerely I wonder what will be he rhythm it will have on TV. I remember the Opening ceremony of the FIFA World Cup in 1998 where 4 giants crossed the historical centre of Paris and the show was slow and boring…

If you grab a seat along the Seine -- then all you will see will be the boats, I am sure festooned brightly, passing by.  But that's all you will get -- unless, of course, you have your tablet, in which case you can then catch up with the Protocol proceedings over at Le ProtoTroc.  But, as you said, like 1998, all you will get as a foot person -- will be a fragmented feel of the whole thing because they threw it all over the City.  Well, let's see how much worse Nice 2030 can do.  

I assume that what we are seeing on the "Parvis des droits de l'Homme" (i.e. the space in the middle behind the Trocadero) is the TV Studios tower.