2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uh-huh.  And have they figured out how they are going to turn the 140+ boats and barges around, and have them ready to take the 8,000+ (or, even if say 2,000 will be returned in buses), so 6,000 bodies back to Point d'Austerlitz via those motley craft?  Where will the vessels wait?  Can you have over 100 boats and barges there waiting to pick up the athletes again? Can the bodies now board on portside
Disembarking on the opposite side? :blink:  So, those athletes will have a longer walk to Trockadero; and then integrating them into the right marching order? :wacko:
Why are they putting themselves thru this LOGISTICAL NIGHTMARE, when it would be so much easier over at the Stade de France?  They will have the new Aquatics center there as the "holding tank" arena. 
This whole thing may look easy on paper, but I'll be my beret and baguette, this will be Dunkirque 2.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Also, with boats full of people rubbing up against each other, you will also NOW have to deal with 8,000+ life jackets . . .  which all the boat-riders and crews will have to put on; and then remove when they disembark at Point d'Austerlitz' and then ALL THOSE life-jackets have to be ready to be worn again on the trip back?  So they would have to hire a few hundred additional life-jacket coordinators at many points just to collect, marshall and organize the friggin' life jackets before the athletes move out and get ready for the parade -- and then give them out again at the end?  :blink:
Have they figured that out yet -- when NO SUCH ADDITIONAL LOGISTICAL item is needed if the whole thing was staged at Stade de France??  :wacko:

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I wonder how much additional insurance Paris 2024 will now have to carry for this extremely foolhardy venture? Or will they have the athletes sign NON-LITIGATION contracts before they board the boats, should anything happen?   And if they refuse to sign? :blink:

33 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

How many bomb teams and dogs will they have inspecting the 100+ barges the day before--top to bottom?  And how do you NOT prevent underwater attachment of explosives even after the boats have passed "inspection"?  And even when they have turned around and are waiting to take the athletes back to the OV? 

Don’t be such a drama queen.

Security, logistics, everything - it will all be figured out long before the Opening Ceremony, 26 July 2024.

• Like 1

And you're such a gullible queen, too.  Relying on artists' drawings and press releases . . .  :lol:

I don't think so.  Think the Maginot Line, Dunkirk; Dienbien-phu, opening of UEFA . . .

How can you control the underwater milieu of the Seine?  :blink: And don't give me platitudes for an answer.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

12 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And you're such a gullible queen, too.  Relying on artists' drawings and press releases . . .  :lol:

I don't think so.  Think the Maginot Line, Dunkirk; Dienbien-phu, opening of UEFA . . .

How can you control the underwater milieu of the Seine?  :blink: And don't give me platitudes for an answer.  

Relax.  They will have thought of everything long and put plans into place long before the Opening Ceremony.

Those artist impressions make me more worried....if they cant march assembled athletes at high speed  into a stadium for a 400m walk in under 2 hours, what chance all this happening in under 4 hours?

The distances from the landing points to the seating area is not short. This is the biggest amphibious landing in France since D-Day! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Those artist impressions make me more worried....if they cant march assembled athletes at high speed  into a stadium for a 400m walk in under 2 hours, what chance all this happening in under 4 hours?

The distances from the landing points to the seating area is not short. This is the biggest amphibious landing in France since D-Day! 

And some of the delegations have elderly officials who also want to march in with their delegations  How do they deal with those?  Count them out. 

They will have thought everything through. 

200.gif?cid=790b7611gsu64pmsrmrt9l79gf7o

And the Chief of the Paris PD says he could . . . field 7,000 cops for the spectators stands -- but can't promise more.  I guess he should be fired for speaking the truth!  

Re D-Day.  It was the Americans, Brits and Canadians who planned most of it.  The French underground provided more of the clandestine ops rather than the outright, punch-through maneuvers.  GRAN DIFFERENCE!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

OK, granted there will be a dress rehearsal or two, one would hope -- probably the most arduous in history, but the logistics of this OC are so formidable, I bet the Jolly crew will be burnt out even before they get to the Closing and the Para ceremonies. 

So, AussieFan, were you on the Munich 1972 COJO?  I swear with what happened there, you were in charge of Security or at least its PR releases -- we got it all covered!  :blink:  

See the source image

Huh.  

18 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, granted there will be a dress rehearsal or two, one would hope -- probably the most arduous in history, but the logistics of this OC are so formidable, I bet the Jolly crew will be burnt out even before they get to the Closing and the Para ceremonies. 

So, AussieFan, were you on the Munich 1972 COJO?  I swear with what happened there, you were in charge of Security or at least its PR releases -- we got it all covered!  

Again baron, stop being a drama queen.

7 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

This has never been done before at an Olympic Opening Ceremony so it will, no doubt, be rehearsed and rehearsed.

We are all used to the traditional walk around the stadium template by athletes. We do not know how the entire structure and timing of this out-of-the-box Opening Ceremony will even occur.

We’re all here trying to, in our minds, fit these radical new OC plans into a traditional stadium OC template, because that’s all we know.  

In reality, we are only guessing and can only be guided by what info they have released to the public.

Q: In reality, we are only guessing and can only be guided by what info they have released to the public.

Of course, this is an Olympic chat forum, what do you expect- we chat about Olympic issues from what we know.

But we also avid Ceremony watchers and analysers, and I don't think the concerns we are raising are insignificant. Just because something is new, innovative and ambitious doesn't mean it will be a success.

I don't see much love in here for Albertville.....that was French, new and innovative as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

This has never been done before at an Olympic Opening Ceremony so it will, no doubt, be rehearsed and rehearsed.

We are all used to the traditional walk around the stadium template by athletes. We do not know how the entire structure and timing of this out-of-the-box Opening Ceremony will even occur.

We’re all here trying to, in our minds, fit these radical new OC plans into a traditional stadium OC template, because that’s all we know.  

In reality, we are only guessing and can only be guided by what info they have released to the public.

CHEAP excuses for not knowing the answers.  DUH!!  What?  DO you think they will do away with the Parade?  That and the basic content of the Ceremonies are prescribed in the Olympic Charter. 

Stop being an IGNORAMUS, Powerpoint QUEEN. :lol: 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

8 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: In reality, we are only guessing and can only be guided by what info they have released to the public.

Of course, this is an Olympic chat forum, what do you expect- we chat about Olympic issues from what we know.

But we also avid Ceremony watchers and analysers, and I don't think the concerns we are raising are insignificant. Just because something is new, innovative and ambitious doesn't mean it will be a success.

I don't see much love in here for Albertville.....that was French, new and innovative as well.

I agree.   The concerns being raised are not insignificant.    

In the end, we can only make educated guesses as we don’t have any further intel on how it will pan out.

On the 100th year homecoming of the Olympic Games to Paris, I really think the French are not going to f—k this up.  They’ll enact a military style precision operation to make this happen smoothly, safely and as on-time as possible.

9 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

I really think the French are not going to f—k this up.  They’ll enact a military style precision operation to make this happen smoothly, safely and as on-time as possible.

You would think so.  They've already bitten off more than they can chew by sending sports as far away as Lille and/or squeezing some sports into shoebox-halls.  

If they really cared, Estanguet would've have studied the Open OC more judiciously before announcing to the world that that's what they're going to do.  Ils ont mis la charrue avant le cheval. 

2 hours ago, BigVic said:

Would've preferred a hybrid ceremony on the Siene and at the Stade De France 

They can barely handle the Trockadero option, and you expect them to execute a simultaneous thing?  Such a choice would invite comparison on how foolhardy the Seine choice is and how much MORE practical a stadium ceremony would've been.  

Additional security a "priority" for Paris 2024, says interministerial delegate (insidethegames.biz) 

Ha!  They will have thought of everything.   :lol: Yeah, not after scrambling 2 years out that the original security measures for overly ambitious plans are not enough and finally, some more sober minds are having a second look.  No need to worry about attachment of explosives to the bottoms of the boats and barges since AustralianFan has assured us that no one need worry about that!   Wow!  I feel safe already!!

It’s been 10 months since the Olympic Seine Opening Ceremony plans were announced on 14 December 2021.

That was 2 years and 8 months before the Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony.

• Yes, a massive security operation is required, the sheer scale of which is unprecedented in an Olympic Games
  • Yes, the police and military chiefs will have broken out in a cold sweat when these plans were announced in 2021
  • Yes, it massively extends what usually would be a stadium/Olympic park based security operation to huge area areas along the Seine River and surrounding associated areas
  • Yes, this will include a wrap-around security checks, scanning and monitoring of everything that moves or is stationary in, around, above and under everything and everyone in those areas, including of course, checking for explosives everywhere and in, around and under the boats and barges
  • Yes, the cost to mount such a massive, wrap around, intensive security operation will be astronomical, compared to a traditional stadium ceremony.
  • Yes, the fears are real and that fear needs to, and will, continue right through to until the Ceremony is over and everyone is safely back home in bed.

Some reports around Paris 2024 security:

“For this, anywhere between 20,000 to 33,000 private security agents will be employed, but it is public authorities who lead the way, and we will help pay, which is a big investment for us”

“The French domestic intelligence agency DGSI has set up a special Olympic Intelligence Centre to help coordinate police and security services”

New Olympic Intelligence Centre will coordinate security at Paris 2024 - The Connexion - 23 June 2022

“Fears over a drone attack is nothing new. There have been worries in the past that events such as marches might be targeted.”

"It is the magnitude of the crowds spread out over six kilometres of the banks of the Seine which is the problem," the source added.”

Credit: Security fears stalk 2024 Paris Olympic organisers - France24.com - 22 July 2022

“According to Le Journal du Dimanche, security provisions for the ceremony include police divers, mine clearance teams, special forces on standby and “a particular effort around control of the city’s airspace to preclude drone attacks”.

Credit: Olympic organisers for Paris 2024 ‘in a cold sweat’ as problems mount - The Guardian - 24 July 2022

“But the final cost is likely to increase further as France boosts the event’s security and faces higher than planned costs for construction and materials.”

“Following a meeting between Emmanuel Macron and the event organizers on Monday, officials are confident that France will make the event -- and its opening ceremony planned along the Seine -- safe for spectators.”

“But the government’s plan to line-up up to 11,000 police agents on the ground each day, and up to 25,000 security agents, to make sure to avoid a re-run of chaos at a football match in May is set to add to the event’s budget which could also be affected by rising inflation.”

Paris 2024 Olympics faces soaring costs as Macron seeks to boost security - Alarabiya News - 26 July 2022

“Fears have grown over safety at the event in the French capital as the opening ceremony on July 26, 2024 draws closer.”

“But IOC President Thomas Bach said: “After a number of consultations, visits, follow-ups... I can say we have full confidence in the French security authorities.”

“Pierre-Olivier Beckers, the head of the IOC’s 2024 Games coordination commission, last week said he had been “reassured” about security at the opening ceremony after meeting Paris police chief Laurent Nunez.”

Credit: IOC says has ‘full confidence’ in security at Paris Olympics - Arab News - 10 September 2022

Michel Cadot, the interministerial delegate for the Paris 2024 Olympics and Paralympics, has insisted that acquiring additional security for the Games is a priority".

“The Interministerial Delegation for the Paris 2024 Olympics and Paralympics revealed that security-related measures are set to be presented in the first quarter of next year, with Cadot confirming a cybersecurity design is due to be implemented.”

“The French official also claimed that Gérald Darmanin, the Minster of the Interior, is asking every prefecture that is hosting an Olympic or Paralympic event to send him a security plan which ensure there is not a repeat of events in the lead-up to the Champions League final.”

Credit: Additional security a "priority” for Paris 2024, says interministerial delegate - Inside The Games - 29 September 2022

Specific quotes from: Security fears stalk 2024 Paris Olympic organisers (france24.com) 

That is accentuated by a dispute between the organising committee and the police.The former wants to see spectators lining the entirety of the route, whilst the latter want everyone attending issued with a ticket and placed in enclosures along the river.

"This is a clash of two contrasting philosophies," a source from Paris-2024 told AFP.The biggest problem for the police in providing security for the ceremony is a lack of available officers. According to a police source, it would require "nearly 7,000 officers" which in the height of summer is all but impossible.  The deficit in numbers cannot be filled by private security guards as they have fallen short of hiring the 24,000 it is believed are needed for the Games. 
"We do not have the numbers," Bernard Thibault, a member of the organising committee told AFP in mid-April.The shortage of private security staff is a throwback to London in 2012 and Tokyo last year when both host cities were forced to fall back on the military. In both cases, operations ran smoothly.

It is plain and simple," a highly-placed police source told AFP. "The 24,000 agents required for the Games do not exist, and never will.  "The army will be called on to do the job." The authorities have also prioritised preventing cyber-attacks -- the Olympics has been a high profile target for years.  According to a source close to the organisers, several hundred cyber-investigators from the French Interior Ministry will be keeping an eye on potential attacks.  An Olympic intelligence centre has also been set up, as promised in the 2018 Olympic Law, to combat any risk of an attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“The Opening Ceremony for the Olympics was among the topics of discussion, according to L'Équipe, with the French President insisting the chain of responsibility should be arranged in the coming weeks.”

“The current plan for the Ceremony involves it being staged along the banks on the River Seine on July 26 2024, allowing crowds of around 600,000 people to watch on.“

I watched a report on the Sydney Closing, the closest we have had to the Seine opening, when 1.5 million people crowded the harbour for the closing fireworks.

There were just 6 arrests for minor things, and it went off smoothly! 

I still think a Seine Closing would have made more sense- city wide party when everything is over....and people can trash the place and then sleep in for  a few days!

4 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I watched a report on the Sydney Closing, the closest we have had to the Seine opening, when 1.5 million people crowded the harbour for the closing fireworks.

There were just 6 arrests for minor things, and it went off smoothly! 

I still think a Seine Closing would have made more sense- city wide party when everything is over....and people can trash the place and then sleep in for  a few days!

By then, most of the athletes would've left.  #2 - If France doesn't make the top 5 countries medal-wise (will probably be easier without Russia there), then it would be considered a flop Games; and #3 - Closing is usually reserved for the next host, in this case, LA, to start to shine in the world spotlight.  So, no, use of the Seine for the Opening is more appropriate.  But if they had an open-air stadium there at the Trockadero, it would be so much easier.  But, hey, it's Estanguet's problem now.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

19 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It is plain and simple," a highly-placed police source told AFP. "The 24,000 agents required for the Games do not exist, and never will.  "The army will be called on to do the job." The authorities have also prioritised preventing cyber-attacks -- the Olympics has been a high profile target for years.  According to a source close to the organisers, several hundred cyber-investigators from the French Interior Ministry will be keeping an eye on potential attacks.  An Olympic intelligence centre has also been set up, as promised in the 2018 Olympic Law, to combat any risk of an attack.

They can always ask their Euro neighbours for some extra staff, if so needed. I think they do it in exceptional cases.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fusilli said:

They can always ask their Euro neighbours for some extra staff, if so needed. I think they do it in exceptional cases.

Exactly, and France is part of the EEU, some of whose member states will benefit from Olympic visitors arriving into and out of various ports in Europe.