I doubt they will use much of all the DJ-type music in the March of the Nations/Parade of Athletes up the Trockadero incline.  This will be a chest-thumping moment for France.  Against the Trockadero and against all the Olympic and French flags fluttering all over the place, they will be using Grand marches from, for example, AIDA and the European/French. classical canon, John Philip Souza, etc..  All that "electronic" crap-passing-for-music seems incongruous with the classical setting of the Trockadero buildings and the Champs du Mars.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fusilli said:

Trocadero itself (the Palais) is far to be a "classical" setting. Arguably, the least charming -fame- building in the city.

OK, poor choice of word.  Stop being nit-picky.  Maybe "iconic" -- but it is a classic Parisian landmark.  And I don't just mean the 2 mirror-image buildings . . . but it's the whole setting -- both the buildings and the open spaces around it that will be part of the OC.  

This isn't "classical Parisian" enough?  :rolleyes: What other major city has a similar setting that is worthy to be used for an Olympic Opening Ceremony (not that I would do it here.  Actually, that carved out, "bowl" space is sloped,  so I don't see how they will fit even 10K people there (say, 7.5K athletes and 2.5 spectators, VIPs, etc.-and still have enough open "level" space to stage some sort of show or dance spectacle. :blink:  I still think Estanguet is bonkers doing it here.) 

See the source image

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Reviewing your image Baton and the concept images lifted off the Paris 2024 doesn’t really give indication of if, or where, there will big temporary grandstands for spectators on the edges of the Trocadero.  

But there appears to be space somewhere in the circled areas either side of the “U” shaped area where some form of temporary grandstands for spectators could be erected.

The U-shaped “track”  presemuably could be used for the final segment of the Parade of Nations as they are introduced and make their way to their congregating spaces.

The concept images below seem to show “spectators” in various smaller enclosures around the central performance area. Perhaps these will actually be athletes spaces? 

The third concept image also shows a speaking podium in the bottom right.

The central area will, it appears, to be a multi-level performance space and I don’t think we can’t rule out aerial elements / performances / props either. 

We can only speculate.  Expecting the unexpected at the Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony.

a3p5y7F.jpg

mriwOSt.jpg

n7RwQvs.jpg

Cn0r9cd.jpg

Do the math and the physics.  In that confined space, yes, I know they will be adding stands for the spectators on the sides, where will you fit maybe 2,000 high-priced paying spectators, what? 3,000 working press who need their tables?  Maybe 500 VIPs, heads of state, their security details, visible and invisible Security; maybe 2500 performers, a few thousand backstage volunteers, all the camera crews and, just say, 7,000 athletes who decide to march.  How will you fit all of them in there, get the show going and moving for, say, 4 hours -- and then get everybody out safe and on their way by 1:00am.  It will be tight and challenging -- but they could do it all so easily with MORE SAFETY at the Stade.  Oh, not to mention, giant screens.  See, how you can squish all of that in that space which was not designed for such an event.  And they're getting short on budget.  The Paris Police say they cannot train and field more than 7,000 cops by July 2024.  

Notice that that whole landscape in front of the Terrace slopes downhill to the street by the river.  So, to get that level - both I think the center stage space and the stands on both sides to align properly, they would have to have a high wall on the street side to create a flat "stadium-type" configuration in that "bowl."  Look at it from an architectural side, cross-sectional level . . . 

Yeah, I should just remind myself this is Estanguet's problem to solve.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

"This Ceremony will take place," he said.”

"It is recorded and nothing suggests that it is impossible."

“He acknowledged that there are security challenges, including safeguarding against a potential terrorist threat and managing the crowd, but said that work is underway.”

"We are in the process of achieving this, the final securing process will be stopped during the autumn," Nuñez said.”

"We have evaluated the places where the public will be able to position themselves, even if the gauges have not yet been decided.”

"These areas will be secured in terms of terrorist risk, the fight against delinquency, but also crowd management."

"When I heard about the concept of the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games on the Seine, I was struck by the incredible ambition that the Organising Committee had set," Jolly said.

"By opening the Games to as many people as possible, Paris 2024 displays values which I fully recognise. “

"The theatre I advocate is also resolutely open because I am convinced that in our time, we need to project ourselves together towards common ideals."

“As artistic director, Jolly will be responsible for assembling a multidisciplinary artistic team to produce Opening and Closing Ceremonies for both the Olympics and Paralympics.”

"With the prospect of an extraordinary Opening Ceremony for the first Paralympic Games in France, and the joyful Closing Ceremonies at Stade de France, I am convinced that we can offer the world unique images in 2024," Jolly promised.”

6 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

"When I heard about the concept of the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games on the Seine, I was struck by the incredible ambition that the Organising Committee had set," Jolly said.

"By opening the Games to as many people as possible, Paris 2024 displays values which I fully recognise. “

"The theatre I advocate is also resolutely open because I am convinced that in our time, we need to project ourselves together towards common ideals."

“As artistic director, Jolly will be responsible for assembling a multidisciplinary artistic team to produce Opening and Closing Ceremonies for both the Olympics and Paralympics.”

"With the prospect of an extraordinary Opening Ceremony for the first Paralympic Games in France, and the joyful Closing Ceremonies at Stade de France, I am convinced that we can offer the world unique images in 2024," Jolly promised.”

Closing Ceremony at Stade de France

According to the Artistic Director, Thomas Jolly, the Closing Ceremony will be at Stade de France - not the Trocadero as previously thought.

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

According to the Artistic Director, Thomas Jolly, the Closing Ceremony will be at Stade de France - not the Trocadero as previously thought.

.. or was he talking about the Paralympics Closing Ceremony ?

( answering myself here, lol )

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Closing Ceremony at Stade de France

45 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Will the Paralympic opening ceremony be on the river as well then? I have wondered if they'd planned for that too, because I've not seen any mention of it until now...

It looks like a definite location has not been announced yet for the Paralympics Opening Ceremony.

The above Inside The Games report saying, “Place de la Concorde is still under consideration for the Paralympic Opening Ceremony while both Closing Ceremonies are set to be held at the Stade de France.”

So, to recap on venues for Paris 2024 Ceremonies:

Paris 2024 Olympic Opening Ceremony:  Seine River and Trocadero

Paris 2024 Olympic Closing Ceremony:    Stade de France

Paris 2024 Olympic Paralympics Opening Ceremony:  under consideration: “Place De La Concorde”.  

Paris 2024 Paralympics Closing Ceremony:    Stade de France

Back in June, this report also appeared on sortiraparis.com about Place De La Concorde:

Paralympics Opening Ceremony considered on the Place De La Concorde - 26 June 2022 - Sortiraparis.com

Image of “Place de Concorde” from googlemaps below - also next to the Seine River:

94zIotI.jpg

Actor and Director, Thomas Jolly.

Artistic Director of all four Paris 2024 Ceremonies.

9lf5Mos.jpg

On and around the Seine

“Experienced in scenic marathons, Thomas Jolly will have the task, in the coming weeks, of surrounding himself with a team of authors and scenographic, choreographic and musical talents in order to create a live show on and around the Seine.”

”He will have carte blanche, assures Tony Estanguet.  No limit within budget says the three-time Olympic canoe champion.  I want French artistic creativity to be fully expressed during these ceremonies.”

The Paris 2024 teams, who claim to have achieved "a lot of work on the national narrative with philosophers and historians", and Thomas Jolly must now think about the operational staging of this ceremony; in short: knowing what story to unfold along the 12 kilometers of quay.”

Wow, that looks pretty bad. Similar pics to the Diamond Jubilee river disaster in London. I love the idea of an opening ceremony in central Paris, but I can't help thinking the Champs Elysées to Place de la Concorde would work better...has anyone managed to put on a river parade that worked well?

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

Wow, that looks pretty bad. Similar pics to the Diamond Jubilee river disaster in London. I love the idea of an opening ceremony in central Paris, but I can't help thinking the Champs Elysées to Place de la Concorde would work better...has anyone managed to put on a river parade that worked well?

Unless Paris 2024 runs a REAL simulation of transporting 8,000+ bodies (in 200 delegations) from the OV in what? 160 boats of various kinds, I don't really see how they can determine whether the whole insane idea is viable or not.  And that's not even thinking of the return.  Truly, it's an INSANE idea.  

Hopefully, it won't be anything like this.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Can you call 2 barges and a brass band a parade ?

After a break of 3 years, the AFL wanted as many people as possible to see the two teams as possible. Yes, there were big crowds lining the banks of the Yarra River and the two bridge overpasses, particularly 20 deep at the Flinders Street end.

But the three lonely barges for the two teams and a third for a brass band looked sad.  Those and a couple of small boats for coaches were so spread apart each other and and so far from the spectators on the river bank, it almost didn’t qualify as a parade.    

Celebratory or festival parades are meant to have floats or boats close together and close to the spectators with lots of music, visuals, acrobats, flashing lights, drums, and excitement.

I watched it on television and you could see it was a fail on all these elements.  The barges took a central course down the river and did not come anywhere each other nor near the bridges or river banks where the spectators actually were.

In the barges, the players looked bored and isolated, until they transitioned to the traditional parade in cars at the end of the river segment over to the big stage outside the MCG.

How is the Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony River Parade going to add colour, sound, music and excitement in an enthralling, lively celebratory atmosphere while staying close and connected to the huge crowds ?

“The Paris 2024 teams, who claim to have achieved “a lot of work on the national narrative with philosophers and historians”, and Thomas Jolly must now think about the operational staging of this ceremony.”

”In short: knowing what story to unfold along the 12 kilometers of quay. The main narrative lines will be detailed ” in spring “hopes the boss of the Cojop.”

“The organizers of the Paris 2024 Games want to make the opening ceremony a moment of gathering and pride for all French people”

“Experienced in scenic marathons, Thomas Jolly will have the task, in the coming weeks, of surrounding himself with a team of authors and scenographic, choreographic and musical talents in order to create a live show on and around the Seine.”

Concept images of entertainment on the Seine  from: The Olympic Seine - youtube:

sb46yQN.jpg

pW6oIFX.jpg

bkEgUZo.jpg

Ak3TL6p.jpg

cFHqqob.jpg

H8tnTKx.jpg

The Seine looks quite wide in those pictures, I'd imagined it as being much narrower than the Thames? Like I say I like the idea, and if anyone can make a huge spectacle like this happen, it's France - but is "close to spectators, close to each other" really possible on a river?

• Like 2