39 minutes ago, FYI said:

The Beijing 2008 Games had the most epic of all start times - 08/08/08 at 08:08:08 local time.

Great feng shui.  I wonder if that moment in the time continuum were not available, would Beijing even have bid?? I think not.  Also, Michael Phelps won 8 Gold medals in that one Games!! 

^Well, the interesting thing about that is, the 2008 Olympics were initially scheduled between July 25th-Aug 10th. But the Chinese later claimed that it would be better to push the dates back a couple of weeks due to that they'll be "less heat & humidity" in Beijing then. But really, it must've had more to do with that numbered sequence (the weather was more likely a minor role), since the number 8 is a relished number in many Asian cultures. 

I assume 20h24 will be the start of the televised part of the ceremony. When each boat carrying the athletes will start arriving at the Trocadero. There's no point in following the entire boat parade down the Seine. Maybe broadcasters will have access to a feed of the entire procession they can use as "preshow" program.

WHO knows how the Estanguet team is doing this?  I think they're just making it up as they go along.  I think 8:24 is when the countdown has begun, I imagine most of (or at least 2/3rds of the teams have already landed near the Trock) and it's time to sing the Marseillaise and Bach and Macron will enter.  There's probably a cultural show of :30 mins and then the Parade of Athletes up the Trock begins.   That's my guess on the timing.  

Even by that rate, it wil be 1:00am when everyone gets back to their beds at the OV.  

16 minutes ago, SeriousPotato said:

Especially considering the importance of the number 8 in China. It always gives me chills hearing that!

I hear -- and it's not reported very often -- that they sacrificed 8 young virgins in the Forbidden City to Gang Ho Fat Choy, to get that date!!  NOT REPORTED, mind you . . .  ;)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PikyoK said:

Tikyok, who cares about Security?  We GOTTA HAve that OPEN show!!  We have to show the world Paris isn't holding back!! Gates and fences and security measures are for old fuddy-duddies!  Who cares if there will be a few score fatalities?  The point is Paris HELD an INNOVATIVE, OPENING CEREMONY -- regardless of the number of casualties along the way!!  Ceremonies sans frontieres!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Here is where the UNORIGINAL, SCENARIO-STEALING Tony Estanguet got his idea to open up the 2024 Opening Ceremony into the streets of Paris. 

LOL.

Quite seriously, if the 2024 OOC and producer of their ceremonies arrange a performance (and creates a big sound) like this, I'll give them lots of credit:

I notice the 2024 OOC several weeks ago posted this PR video. The way the people managing a committee either approve or reject things can give a clue to the way they'll influence their event. However, the way 2024's ceremonies are organized based on this short PR ad (which is perfectly fine) probably isn't an early sign. But from the day the 2012 OOC approved their official logo, the tone or personality of those games never really changed from that point onward.

4 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Is that a model they’re looking at of the Trocadero area and Seine River where the Opening Ceremony will take place?

that might just be a model of the proposed athlete's village

• Like 1

I'd love for Deep Forest to get involved in the Ceremonies. They are a French duo and their music blends modern electronic sounds with worldly folk samples. If they do, I think they'll possibly compose the soundtrack for the parade of nations.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA76C818996808EBF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PikyoK said:

I'd love for Deep Forest to get involved in the Ceremonies. They are a French duo and their music blends modern electronic sounds with worldly folk samples. If they do, I think they'll possibly compose the soundtrack for the parade of nations.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA76C818996808EBF

Tiesto did the 2004 Parade of Nations soundtrack 

10 hours ago, BigVic said:

Tiesto did the 2004 Parade of Nations soundtrack 

Correct! And he did a splendid job of doing that as well.

It would also be magnifique if Daft Punk reunited just for the Paris Olympics too. 

• Like 2