6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  YOU're telling me to relax when YOU ARE THE #! MOST SLAVISH BELIEVER AND PROMOTER of EVERY single breath and whisper that these orgs put out and how you SLAVISHLY repeat, promote and TRUMPET them as if you were a paid PR hack -- which I think you are! 
SO F*CKING STOP TELLING OTHER PEOPLE how they should react to & interpret the ENDLESS CRAP that you post!!  Look in the mirror first -- or maybe there's no image in your mirror?  LOL!!

Yes, we can tell you detest the Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony concept.

You’ve made that abundantly clear over and over again.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes, we can tell you detest the Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony concept.

You’ve made that abundantly clear over and over again.   

I don't really DETEST it.  I just don't believe they have covered every contingency and that Estanguet will fall flat on his (and the whole 2024 games) face if the winds aren't with him on that day.  It's OK to reinvent the wheel but in this time and day, it is such a high-stakes event that I would err on the side of being conservative rather than being HIGHLY adventurous -- when you don't have to.  And yeah, I will harp that unless proven otherwise, it really is a foolhardy idea -- and the French don't have a very good track record on doing innovative things.  At least, I just DON'T reproduce the sycophantic PR grist that you keep posting and re-posting.  Don't you have any original thoughts of your own?? :wacko:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't really DETEST it.  I just don't believe they have covered every contingency and that Estanguet will fall flat on his (and the whole 2024 games) face if the winds aren't with him on that day.  It's OK to reinvent the wheel but in this time and day, it is such a high-stakes event that I would err on the side of being conservative rather than being HIGHLY adventurous -- when you don't have to.  And yeah, I will harp that unless proven otherwise, it really is a foolhardy idea -- and the French don't have a very good track record on doing innovative things.  At least, I just DON'T reproduce the sycophantic PR grist that you keep posting and re-posting.  Don't you have any original thoughts of your own?? :wacko:  

Yes I do, and I have posted several times that I think it will be a huge logistical task to pull this off, but not impossible.  

I think it’s going to bust wide open the traditional stadium template for Opening Ceremonies that we’re all used to …. much more and way more upscaled and adventurous than the 2018 Youth Olympic Games or Melbourne’s Commonwealth Games use of the Yarra River back in 2006.

Don’t worry about past French “adventurous-ness” …….

this guy, Paris 2024 CEO Tony Estanguet, is shaping up to be the most daring and innovative figure in over a hundred years of Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:30 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Luv those delegations ALL crowded together like pictured!!  NO WAY can the virus get through all those bodies huddled together!  And of course, if the teams, delegations, barges are spaced farther apart, a 3-hour ceremony would turn into a 5-hour Ceremony!  WHAT GREAT FRENCH INNOVATION!  Simply marvelous and INGENIOUS!!  

Actually, it will be even more crowded. Look at that pic and the UK and German teams look more like the usual Equatorial Guinea teams in terms of size.

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

.this guy, Paris 2024 CEO Tony Estanguet, is shaping up to be the most daring and innovative figure in over a hundred years of Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

And could also be the MOST RECKLESS.  What experience does he have in putting on big shows?  NADA.  I don't find his "Open-Air OC" using Paris anything quite original.  I mean he has a great canvas to work with.  But I think the parameters of an Olympic OC are far too large even for a photogenic city like Paris -- to carry it off safely and on message.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

F*CK OFF!  Stop telling me what to do, OK?  I don't take any orders from you.  

Baron, I recommend you relax, take a breath ans  stop with the abusive language.

The Paris 2024 organisers and the IOC and all the other stakeholders involved will get this done.

• Like 2

I don't mind OOCs thinking outside of the box, but something about 2024's opening threatens to have a squirrely quality about it. The 2024 OOC has already shown one aspect of their decisionmaking skills by the logo they chose, which some have likened to reminiscent of a beauty-skin-hair product. I'm not sure. For years, most organizing committees seem to have a problem in knowing when to just say "no."

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don't mind OOCs thinking outside of the box, but something about 2024's opening threatens to have a squirrely quality about it. The 2024 OOC has already shown one aspect of their decisionmaking skills by the logo they chose, which some have likened to reminiscent of a beauty-skin-hair product. I'm not sure. For years, most organizing committees seem to have a problem in knowing when to just say "no."

It's certainly a unique concept.  If it's pulled off well, I think it will be very memorable.  But that's a big "if" for them to execute their vision, since it's not like they can exactly do a lot of rehearsing for it

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

it's not like they can exactly do a lot of rehearsing for it

I've judged most openings and closings for decades as being overdone or over long. Maybe the more complicated logistics of 2024 will force the producer to "Keep it simple, stupid!" If so, the ceremony may end up being better than it otherwise would have been.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I've judged most openings and closings for decades as being overdone or over long. Maybe the more complicated logistics of 2024 will force the producer to "Keep it simple, stupid!" If so, the ceremony may end up being better than it otherwise would have been.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Your opinions are based on incomplete information.  Do you plan on watching all of the 2024 ceremonies?  Or will you lose interest during parts you don't like?

We'll see how long the parade of nation is where they're doing it on boats.  But I hope that doesn't result in them shortchanging any of the athletes at all

On 5/25/2022 at 7:54 PM, Olympics2028 said:

Pffft. 

French fishermen protesting something or other, can release rotting fish down the Seine or the sewers of Paris the night before.  See where that takes the events the next day.

Honestly, it´s not like they will not make resharsals and the like before anthing happens. This can be pulled off, BA 2018 is a proof-of-concept here; the big issue is actually security but not the reasons you would think. Given how well french guards handled the recent Champions League final, we can say the security forces have to do a rewiew of their methods unless Estanguet hires private goons, which could be actually better to handle people with fake tickets as it seems.

4 hours ago, Guilga said:

Honestly, it´s not like they will not make resharsals and the like before anthing happens. This can be pulled off, BA 2018 is a proof-of-concept here; the big issue is actually security but not the reasons you would think. Given how well french guards handled the recent Champions League final, we can say the security forces have to do a rewiew of their methods unless Estanguet hires private goons, which could be actually better to handle people with fake tickets as it seems.

BA 2018 was pretty stationary.  It didn't depend on a much traveled river to transport the "stars" of the show and then bring them back to their beds in one piece.  The major security uncertainty for the BA opening was the hundreds of balconies overlooking the plaza.  But then, I hope they ran security checks on all those windows.  The older IOC shot down the NYC 2012 bid's to transport athletes from the Queens sit of the OV to the main stadium on Manhattan's West side.  They had reason to.  Paris OCOG is obviously not hiring the best risk assessment people.  How quickly people forget Munich 1972.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 5/31/2022 at 2:39 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

The model for the Paris 2024 opening is a security nightmare- and poor choice from a risk management perspective...it would be a better fit for the Closing if it is to be done.

Given what a disaster the crowd control for the Stade de France was for the Champions League Final you have to wonder if the French organisers saw that coming and thought the venue unsuitable for handling not just the crowd but also the athletes arriving too.

In which case is it going to be usable for the athletics at the Olympics? Since it sounds like at least some of the problems at the final were caused by local hooligans trying to jump in, can they guarantee the safety for everyone at the Games? Or are they specifically football hooligans (sadly seems to be a big problem in France at the moment) so athletics wouldn't appeal in the same way?

What happened outside Stade de France pre-UEFA champs is very encouraging for COJO'24.  Admirable absence of intelligence -- as predicted will be the case for the Paris 2024 Opening.  Forgetting that it was the 77th anniversary of D-Day yesterday (which, of course, the French refer to as "Debarquement" not "La Invasion"), I say Maginot Line 1941, here we come for 2024!! 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Your opinions are based on incomplete information.  Do you plan on watching all of the 2024 ceremonies?  Or will you lose interest during parts you don't like?

Actually, I'm more likely to watch if the event along the Seine ends up as interesting as this:

I realize this is a thread about the ceremonies for 2024, but I think the opening for 2028 should be influenced by the following great moment in Hollywood history. It's an ideal symbol of what today's TikTok culture is all about.

Plus, ceremonies in Paris and Los Angeles will be enlivened if such scenes are used for inspiration.

I admit my own tastes in tradition and ceremony (things like large choirs, non-Cirque-ized participants and traditional etiquette with flags/flagpoles, etc) are dull, pompous and old-fashioned.

Vive le difference, baby!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1124955/ipc-andrew-parsons-paris-2024-paralympic

only quoting the relevant parts

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) President Andrew Parsons is considering "innovative" options for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony, following the concept of hosting the opening of the Olympics on the River Seine.

Speaking to insidethegames here in Saint-Denis at the Stade de France, Parsons claimed there was a lot of trust between the IPC and the Paris 2024 organisers in making the Paralympics feel important.

"They are taking a new approach for the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, we are starting to assess the Opening Ceremony for the Paralympics that we also want to be innovative," said Parsons to insidethegames.

"These elements have some risk and we think it's the right Organising Committee to take risks with."

Parsons found the Olympic Opening Ceremony plans to be intriguing, but stressed the Paralympic Games could not have a carbon replica due to several factors related to disabled people.

"We like the concept, but then you need to understand the logistics of accessibility, ticketing and how we can get more people involved," added Parsons.

"We like the idea, but we need to see how feasible it is before we make a decision.

"We like that they [Paris 2024] are thinking out of the box.

"They are coming with fresh ideas and are trying to see the Games from a different angle."

• Like 1