That looks really cool. Can't help thinking they'd be better off doing the Olympics one there too, if the last two London Jubilee parades are anything to go on then dry land > river - plus I mean come on, it's the Champs Elysées! Very good to see they've given the same style to the Paralympic opening instead of just sticking it in the Stade de France :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anthony said:

These sightlines are HORRIBLE! Why do you need 4 stages? Seems to counter the idea that the focus should be on the athletes. Do we know the Producer yet?

Thomas Jolly doing all four Paris 2024 Ceremonies:

Paris 2024 appoint Thomas Jolly as Artistic Director for Opening and Closing Ceremonies - 23 Sep-2022 Olympics.com

More than the renderings, the appointment of Thomas Jolly gives me a big confidence boost that this could be legitimately great and not just a concert.

I'm not super familiar with his work but looking at examples from his productions, they are visually striking and seem to have the "it" factor of a great ceremony.

The Paralympic stage setting seems better, but still the open format strikes me as an exceptionally difficult platform to express a point of view with artistic storytelling. Can Jolly and team save this from being a shallow pop production? I hope so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeriousPotato said:

More than the renderings, the appointment of Thomas Jolly gives me a big confidence boost that this could be legitimately great and not just a concert.

I'm not super familiar with his work but looking at examples from his productions, they are visually striking and seem to have the "it" factor of a great ceremony.

The Paralympic stage setting seems better, but still the open format strikes me as an exceptionally difficult platform to express a point of view with artistic storytelling. Can Jolly and team save this from being a shallow pop production? I hope so.

I hope so too.

“Fears also surrounded the protection of fan zones because of typically fewer numbers of security personnel.”

"They are certainly controlled, but they do not always benefit from the same level of security as in stadiums," said Odoxa.”

“Although 53 per cent still want the Opening Ceremony to take place along the River Seine, there is anxiety that it could cause serious problems.”

“The ambitious plan predicts 600,000 people will watch the Ceremony live from the riverbank while delegations travel through the city by boat.”

“A clear majority of respondents, 72 per cent, said that if they had doubts about safety they would be willing to give up attending the Games and Rugby World Cup.“

I mean, Scousers fans have a bad reputation so not being prepared for stuff like that when we already have previous UCL final incidents like the Milan fan being stabbed in 2007 is really a sign of being inept for such a task.

Also France was the punching bag for militant extremism in Europe during the mid 2010s. So if anything these previous experiences should actually help them to improve their capacities to be prepared for these kind of situations. But given the low trust by the french it seems they still have a long way to go....so either they start to get a move on with it or they'll have to militarize the whole city during the show even worse than Salt Lake in 2002.

Like i said before, the Opening Ceremony has the potential of being either one of the best in history or a catastrophe, just by this ambitious planning (either for disorganization or by not being able to do a visually impressive show under such a huge scale).

There is not going to be a middle ground for this.

• Like 1

Hello everyone - I deleted my account years back, after not seeing any kind of use in the abuse one can get here by a certain wannabe Baron - but here I am again, and as I can see, the abuse is still thriving - #nevermind

Anyway: to stay on topic, I think it would be smart to check out what Yves Saint Laurent (the brand) nowadays is pulling off regularly at the Jardin du Trocadero (especially pre-covid); so here some images and links to understand the size of the Jardin

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Opening Ceremony

- 35,000 security staff each day of Paris 2024

- 100,00 ticketed spectators at Olympic Seine Opening Ceremony

- 500,000 watching in other areas for free.

“Plans involve 600,000 people watching the Ceremony live from the riverbank while delegations travel through the city by boat.”

“Darmanin insisted that 100,000 people will buy tickets to be stood on the river banks while another 500,000 will be able to watch for free from the street above.”

12 hours ago, SeriousPotato said:

If anything, this only makes me feel worse. This has no soul or humanity. 

Do not focus on these two shows SeriousPotato ;-) I don't think the YSL mood and rather dark universe is something for an Olympic OC / they just were two examples of major events taking place regularly on that same spot.

Recently i came across this documentary about Jean Paul Goude's work for the bicentenary of the French Revolution in 1989  https://www.numeridanse.tv/en/dance-videotheque/opera-goude-laventure-de-la-marseillaise 

Might be off topic for some, but it shows at major parade on the Champs-Elysées ending on the place de la Concorde which is the same scenario for the Paralympics OC i suppose... 

Screen-Shot-2022-10-26-at-08-14-58.png

“The banks alongside the river will be able to accommodate around 100,000 people who will have to purchase tickets to the event, but another 500,000 will have the opportunity to have a bird’s eye view from the street level above.”

“French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin shared on Tuesday with the immense crowd expected, security preparations are of utmost importance.”

”Around 35,000 guards will be hired to help with crowd control. In addition, 3,000 private security personnel will also be hired.“

“The banks of the river can accommodate 100,000 people who will have to buy tickets, while another 500,000 will be able to watch for free from the street level above, Darmanin told a French senate committee.”

“The organisers of the Paris Olympics have pushed ahead with the preparations for the ambitious opening ceremony despite security concerns.”

“Darmanin said 35,000 security forces would be deployed for the opening ceremony, with organisers told to add 3,000 privately hired security staff.”

“For the entire duration of the Games, an average of 30,000 police and gendarmes per day will be on duty, he said.  All interior ministry staff will be barred from taking leave during the Games, which end on August 11.”