On 2/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, Circle said:

Also the last OC on France, Albertville '92, is my third favourite OC after Athens 2004 and Baku 2015.

The last time France hosted an Olympics, I recall watching parts of the opening and they came off to me as oddly juvenile. I think the format was themed to what sounded like Dr Suess rhymes. The overall tone IMHO was like, "hey, we're too cool for the room. This is a clown show, folks!" Obviously you disagree with that.

The most recent winter games in Beijing, described by some as soulless (probably influenced by people's sense of the political atmosphere of China), didn't to me have a tone of "we're too cool for the room."

Say what you will about the 2022 committee of the winter games, they seemed to approach their job with a more serious, less ha-ha attitude.

Just the few minutes building up to the Six Nations finale tonight showed what an amazing venue the Stade de France would be for the ceremonies and how well they'd do them, so a shame we won't see it centre stage for the Olympic Ceremonies.   Guess whatever they do for the Rugby World Cup will be the closest we get.

1 hour ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Just the few minutes building up to the Six Nations finale tonight showed what an amazing venue the Stade de France would be for the ceremonies and how well they'd do them, so a shame we won't see it centre stage for the Olympic Ceremonies.   Guess whatever they do for the Rugby World Cup will be the closest we get.

I agree. The stade de france is so good for stadium theatre...... at least we know that if the street thing doesn't work out that we are bak in a stadium for 2028

I came across this but after the first 20 mins or so, I really have lost any interest to watch.  It looks very disorganized, doesn't give me a firm sense of time, space and place -- and just looks schlocky and helter-skelter.   

(Any serious tango doesn't even come in until abuot 1 hr 20 min after.  :blink: )
Should I bother to finish it and waste an additional 2.5 hours of my time?  I understand in trying a different tack, and Paris might it a run for its money, but those OUTSIDE ceremonies I feel do NOT advance the art of Ceremonies and IMHO, are a rip-off of my time -- let's not even talk about $$.  Your thoughts? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Part 2.  I advanced the video closet to the caludron-Lighting moment.  First, they had the dumb conveyor-belt stunt.  And then they just brought out X number of Argentine Olympians; and then the Lighting by 2 in SUCH a crowded space.  There was ABSOLUTELY NO BUILD-UP; NO DRAMA whatsoever in what is always the high dramatic point of the night. 

And then the layout of the WHOLE scene.  Seems it was only the ahtletes who were up-close to the stage.  Everyone else had to watch from giant screens staggered down the Promenade.  Never saw a single "audience reaction" shot.  (I know the lay of the land; I've visited BA - a lovely city otherwise.)  That is INNOVATIVE?  More PUZZLING, I'd say.  Really looked semi-chaotic. 

I certainly hope Paris can learn from this, i.e. "outdoor" ceremony.  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Part 2.  I advanced the video closet to the caludron-Lighting moment.  First, they had the dumb conveyor-belt stunt.  And then they just brought out X number of Argentine Olympians; and then the Lighting by 2 in SUCH a crowded space.  There was ABSOLUTELY NO BUILD-UP; NO DRAMA whatsoever in what is always the high dramatic point of the night. 

And then the layout of the WHOLE scene.  Seems it was only the ahtletes who were up-close to the stage.  Everyone else had to watch from giant screens staggered down the Promenade.  Never saw a single "audience reaction" shot.  (I know the lay of the land; I've visited BA - a lovely city otherwise.)  That is INNOVATIVE?  More PUZZLING, I'd say.  Really looked semi-chaotic. 

I certainly hope Paris can learn from this, i.e. "outdoor" ceremony.  

Feels cheap (not saying it was), one note, and disjointed. NOT looking forward to Paris like this. The vastness doesn't help. A stadium helps to contain the program. Sure, the views of the city are nice. I agree with you (for once lol)

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I came across this but after the first 20 mins or so, I really have lost any interest to watch.  It looks very disorganized, doesn't give me a firm sense of time, space and place -- and just looks schlocky and helter-skelter.   

(Any serious tango doesn't even come in until abuot 1 hr 20 min after.  :blink: )
Should I bother to finish it and waste an additional 2.5 hours of my time?  I understand in trying a different tack, and Paris might it a run for its money, but those OUTSIDE ceremonies I feel do NOT advance the art of Ceremonies and IMHO, are a rip-off of my time -- let's not even talk about $$.  Your thoughts?

LOL. Sheesh. At first, I thought I was watching some counterfeit, unaffiliated Olympics-type event. But it's obviously under the legal, official auspices of the IOC itself.

A little Olympic games go a long way.

Think of Christmas being held every day of the year. It sure would quickly lost its punch and appeal.

I think 2024 OOC, by possibly being too hip and innovative (Outdoor along the Seine! First time ever!!), is flirting with trouble.

Final thought:  BA is the "Paris of South America."  MiGod, if this is what they could do with a beautiful Paris-type city -- granted it is junior league, I am just so apprehensive of what the real Paris (which the Argentines, BTW, would call the "Buenos Aires of Europe"  :lol: ) under the naive, megalomaniac Estanguet, will come up with?  A bigger mess than the day the Bastille fell in 1789? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^ Whoa, now I get what you mean. I had no idea of things like the IOC's 2018.

An outdoor, non-stadium-type Olympics ceremony has already been done, just 4 years ago.

A landmark obelisk in Argentina's capital (I guess that city's version of Washington DC's Washington Monument) and Buenos Aire's version of Paris's Champes Elysees was the "stadium" used for the Youth Olympics.

Instead of being along a mall, 2024 will be along a river.

The next summer games' opening/closing are already sort of "been there, done that."

obelisk-buenos-aires.jpg

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Final thought:  BA is the "Paris of South America."  MiGod, if this is what they could do with a beautiful Paris-type city -- granted it is junior league, I am just so apprehensive of what the real Paris (which the Argentines, BTW, would call the "Buenos Aires of Europe"  :lol: ) under the naive, megalomaniac Estanguet, will come up with?  A bigger mess than the day the Bastille fell in 1789? 

To be fair M, you ARE talking about the YOGs - a low rent, untelevised event that you’d expect to be amateur hour and is probably done on a smaller budget that a scout jamboree. They’re a joke here, and we’re probably one of the few groups in the world who know they even exist. It’s a whole different class from the senior Olympics - like comparing open mike night at local bar to the Met Gala.

47 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

To be fair M, you ARE talking about the YOGs - a low rent, untelevised event that you’d expect to be amateur hour and is probably done on a smaller budget that a scout jamboree. They’re a joke here, and we’re probably one of the few groups in the world who know they even exist. It’s a whole different class from the senior Olympics - like comparing open mike night at local bar to the Met Gala.

I admitted it is junior league but as you can see, Argentina put a lot of resources into that -- even closing off Avenida de Julio and having Prs. Macri attend.  I know the spot is historic to BA but it could've been much better staged.  Or let me put it in the "Oly2028" way, I would not have staged it there.  And the concentration on the obelisk.  At least the Obelisk in Paris is smaller and I guess won't be a focal point of 2024.  And I guess because of Evita, the Casa Rosada balcony was out.  How did you find the "tango" section?  It was TOO WEIRD.  And having them dance in the apartments around, I don't know what that did?  It is a lovely city though -- even a little more grand than Barcelona.  

12 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Yes that's true. Speaking of the YOGs Paris 2024 made an agreement with another Youth Olympic Games, which is Dakar 2026 (Senegal).

14 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I admitted it is junior league but as you can see, Argentina put a lot of resources into that -- even closing off Avenida de Julio and having Prs. Macri attend.  I know the spot is historic to BA but it could've been much better staged.  Or let me put it in the "Oly2028" way, I would not have staged it there.  And the concentration on the obelisk.  At least the Obelisk in Paris is smaller and I guess won't be a focal point of 2024.  And I guess because of Evita, the Casa Rosada balcony was out.  How did you find the "tango" section?  It was TOO WEIRD.  And having them dance in the apartments around, I don't know what that did?  It is a lovely city though -- even a little more grand than Barcelona.  

To tell you the truth, I confess I haven’t watched it - YOGs aren’t my thing at the best of times.

I was a bit disappointed when I visited Buenos Aires. It may have been grand in the past, but, at least when I was there, it was rather run down and seedy. Faded glory. While Barcelona was in full post-Olympic bloom on my visit - beautiful and sparkling.

18 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I was a bit disappointed when I visited Buenos Aires. It may have been grand in the past, but, at least when I was there, it was rather run down and seedy. Faded glory. While Barcelona was in full post-Olympic bloom on my visit - beautiful and sparkling.

I guess I tried to put a good spin on my 2016 visit.  I had heard rumors it was run-down, etc.  But I certainly didn't want to go visiting some rundown city -- so to get my money's worth and the effort flying down 10 hours each way from No. America, I decided I was seeing a brilliant city of the present.  Felt quite at home since I speak the language.  

• 2 weeks later...

I still have second feelings about this. 

It could be either the most groundbreaking opening or the worst logistical nightmare, ceremony-wise speaking. 

But at least we'll not see proj*ctions again in ceremonies for this year. So that's a positive note.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

It could be either the most groundbreaking opening or the worst logistical nightmare, ceremony-wise speaking. 

But at least we'll not see proj*ctions again in ceremonies for this year. So that's a positive note.

OH, I bet they will have projections at the Trocadero area.  Plus, you still have Closing at the Stade.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Photomapping, particularly at an opening, has become "been there, done that."

If 2024 both avoids that and also holds most of its opening ceremonies during the daytime, that alone will be an improvement.

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

The idea is great. But what's going to matter is the execution. How do they take this slow spread throughout Paris and present it to a worldwide audience numbering in the billions. It's a daunting task, but I have optimism they will manage to pull it off. Especially given the lack of atmosphere the last 2 Olympics offered up for obvious and unfortunate reasons

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Photomapping, particularly at an opening, has become "been there, done that."

If 2024 both avoids that and also holds most of its opening ceremonies during the daytime, that alone will be an improvement.

I liked photomapping at first, but as time went on, seeing everyone relying heavily on it to the point performances by actual human people/use of props became more and more abandoned or lazy slowly made me hate it. And Beijing 2022 was the last straw for me since it was obvious like hell they spent 90% of the budget in that stupid LED floor which were just glorified projections but with another form. 

I want something creative again, like London's. Or at least where the balance between projections and props/performers is good (Sochi for example)