2 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

Be careful what you look forward to...... I was beside myself with excitement for the Beijing 2022 opening ceremony and look what ended up happening there :P

Fair enough, but I don’t get hyped up for ceremonies that much anymore anyway. Indeed, I’m looking forward to a more low key event where the barges up the Seine lets the city shine instead. Tokyo really hit home how it’s the sports and not the oc that gets my blood pumping these days. I just hope that covid - or Putin or Xi getting trigger happy - don’t spoil the party… and if they do we’ve got a lot more to worry about than the games anyway.

20 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I don’t think you can call that piece the “official theme” of the games yet. It was the music that backed the handover segment in Tokyo, but whether it gets used further onwards is up for speculation - my guess is maybe not. I don’t think “official themes” have been very prevalent at all for the more recent games, so there’s even a question of whether there will be one or not.

You may be correct. This was supposed to be the official theme music for medal presentations at the 2012 games, although the Youtuber may have mislabeled the recording. But the 2012 OOC ended up using the theme from the movie "Chariots of Fire." Which is another reason why I consider the 30th Olympiad as sort of the Hollywood summer games.

Yea, London isn't LA/Hollywood. But in some ways, the capitol of the UK has produced more famous films - particularly over the past 50 years - than have come out of LA.

This composition is even more of a "huh?!" than the one done for 2024.

5 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

See, here you’re heading off the rails again. Unused medal music for London has no relevance to Paris ceremonies.:

Actually, it does if the composition currently listed as being the official music for medal ceremonies in 2024 ends up following what occurred in 2012.

As for that vid you posted of Le Marseilles played in various locations of Paris. That's the kind of vibe I'd like to see at Olympic ceremonies. Those events are, after all, similar to the graduation ceremonies of college student. Or athletes who've taken several years out of their life in order to compete in sports, a reflection of their dedication and home country.

Instead, organizers have treated them indirectly - by making Olympic ceremonies so hokey jokey - as though they're a bunch of goofball kids and clowns at the traveling circus. 

3 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Actually, it does if the composition currently listed as being the official music for medal ceremonies in 2024 ends up following what occurred in 2012.

No, not really. But it would be really interesting in the music thread

3 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

As for that vid you posted of Le Marseilles played in various locations of Paris. That's the kind of vibe I'd like to see at Olympic ceremoniess.

That’s why I posted it. It WAS used in the ceremony. And then segued directly into the second clip.

I don't know if this or isn't the official theme music for 2024. I do know that the 2024 OOC did commission this person to write this composition.

As early as the late 2000s, there were ongoing clues as to what would probably happen once summer of 2012 rolled around. I'm not sure if the committee in Paris is already giving similar hints.

However, there's way less time between now and July 2024 than when the logo for the 2012 games was unveiled in 2007.

Yoann Lemoine (French pronunciation: [jɔan ləmwan]; born 16 March 1983), known professionally as Woodkid, is a French music video director, graphic designer and singer-songwriter.[5][6] His most notable works include his music video direction for Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream", Taylor Swift's "Back to December", Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" and Harry Styles's "Sign of the Times".

https://press.paris2024.org/news/paris-2024-announces-a-unique-collaboration-with-the-artist-woodkid-and-radio-france-for-the-ceremony-marking-its-handover-from-tokyo-2020-on-august-8-2e70-7578a.html

This gives a good sense of how 2024 may end up being like.

Not sure if the Seine necessarily makes a better backdrop than certain other parts of Paris can do.

Paris is a city of classic landmarks. Although sites like the Eiffel tower and Arc de Triomphe are visible from miles away, the city's overall look is lower density. So the banks of the river may not help things stand out as clearly compared with settings above the water level.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don't know if this or isn't the official theme music for 2024.

It's already been said that it's not, it's just music for the Tokyo-Paris handover. Your own link from press.Paris2024.org says that. It's even in the title of the song, "Prologue".

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don't know if this or isn't the official theme music for 2024. I do know that the 2024 OOC did commission this person to write this composition.

Okay, I’d never seen it labelled before as “official anthem” as it is in the YouTube clip, but if you read the press release it says it was commissioned for he Handover ceremony, which took place at Tokyo last year. Whether it gets used onwards is anyone’s guess, or in what form - medal ceremonies? Introduction to event sessions? I’d suggest that’s all still a work in progress, but, yes, this piece could be contender. I wouldn’t be unhappy to hear it in 2024 - I think it’s a stirring, anthemic piece that fits the Olympics well and would make a great musical signature for Paris.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Not sure if the Seine necessarily makes a better backdrop than certain other parts of Paris can do.

Paris is a city of classic landmarks. Although sites like the Eiffel tower and Arc de Triomphe are visible from miles away, the city's overall look is lower density. So the banks of the river may not help things stand out as clearly compared with settings above the water level.

The Seine is an attraction of Paris in itself, and does pass by and offer brilliant views of a good many of the most famous landmarks. Logistically it provides a good route for athletes to travel to the Trcadero on barges, while the banks provide plenty of locations for spectator bleachers.

The main ceremonial area is going to be at the Trocadero, where the athletes will disembark.

51875407642_2421c85221_z.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols

23 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I think it’s a stirring, anthemic piece that fits the Olympics well and would make a great musical signature for Paris.

That's why I'm guessing the 2024 OOC will end up making (or has already done so) the piece composed by Woodkid as the official theme music for the summer Olympics in Paris. Not sure, however, if it will be performed at the medal ceremonies.

This gives another sense of what an event in the section of Paris you mentioned might look like.

I have a hunch the next summer games will have segments patterned after things like this. lol. No joking either.

3 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Future potential hosts will be watching.... if Paris pulls it off expect to see a lot more of this type of ceremonies, if they fail it may be a reprise for the stadium shows.

Not every city is as photogenic as Paris.  Tokyo and Beijing, for example, would just be too blah. 

Estanguet is just trying TOO hard.  He doesn't have to. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not every city is as photogenic as Paris.  Tokyo and Beijing, for example, would just be too blah. 

Agree, maybe milano could copy their model, although they have their plan already, but the question with doing it with LA/ Brisbane is where?, LA MUST do it in their big 5k million dollar stages because its what their city is all about, and brisbane river is far from being as iconic as Seine and trocadero

On 2/12/2022 at 12:38 AM, BigVic said:

Lets hope this doesn't turn into a mess like the France '98 World Cup Opening Ceremony. 

I watched a short clip of it several months ago and, as typical with most Olympic-type presentations over the past few decades, it was Cirque-du-Soleil-iized.

If it were at least a straightforward-type parade with moving tall statues (as opposed to big balloons used in a Macy's), it might have worked.

When I first heard about what the 2024 OOC wanted to do, I went, hey, interesting innovation. It gives 2024 a new spark!

By contrast, same 'ol, same 'ol at Olympic ceremonies is making them overdone and unwatchable. At least for me.

But baron-pierre's breaking down what the river idea will require made me go, oh-oh, watch for falling objects up ahead. 

Instead of a less expensive, logistically overdone Cirque-du-Soleiled mess in a stadium in 2024, it may end up a way more costly Cirque-du-Soleil-ized mess along the Seine, one that's even more logistically overdone and could end up triggering Murphy's Law.

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

LA MUST do it in their big 5k million dollar stages because its what their city is all about

My opinion is that LA and other hosts need to start going in the direction of KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

i think you wrote you didn't like the idea of the 1932/1984 cauldron being used again in 2028. I guess in a way that too wold be "same 'ol, same 'ol." But since I like tradition and history, and prefer major aspects of the old-time format of decades ago, that's one same 'ol, same 'ol I wouldn't mind.

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I agree. TES has a big advantage over what many other Olympic cities don't have, & that's the backdrop of Paris itself. L.A. can't say that. And Brisbane definitely can't say the same.

He should really try to use it to his advantage, instead of trying to be so ostentatious. He can just muck it up in the end by trying to make it be such a show-stopper. Let's not get expectations so high that it could just truly disappoint in the end (i.e. Beijing 2022). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

My opinion is that LA and other hosts need to start going in the direction of KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

i think you wrote you didn't like the idea of the 1932/1984 cauldron being used again in 2028. I guess in a way that too wold be "same 'ol, same 'ol." But since I like tradition and history, and prefer major aspects of the old-time format of decades ago, that's one same 'ol, same 'ol I wouldn't mind.

What works and make the olympics, THE olympics, must stay, I only wish we're not getting to the point were the most climatic part of the ceremony, THE CAULDRON, is downgraded to just a baton relay. At this point repeating cauldron for 2028 starts being a wish rather than a fear

53 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

What works and make the olympics, THE olympics, must stay, I only wish we're not getting to the point were the most climatic part of the ceremony, THE CAULDRON, is downgraded to just a baton relay. At this point repeating cauldron for 2028 starts being a wish rather than a fear

I thought the cauldrons for the 2000, 2004 and 2008 games were overdone or oversized. But based on what I'm reading about the 2022 presentation, now the opposite extreme is occurring.

The concept of "Keep it simple, stupid" shouldn't be mis-interpreted by an organizing committee to mean "Let's just mail it in."

The concept of the Paris 2024 ceremonies title should be like this:

The opening ceremony concept should be: "Elegant Night In The Lights".

The closing ceremony concept could be: "Amazing Stories Around The World".

It will be both interesting and ironic if the Paris summer Olympics present ceremonies where for the first time in decades a "Cirque-du-Soleil" theme won't be used.

Yea, I know Cirque du Soleil is a French-Canadian operation, and "Paris" is a totally different place.

I watched segments on Youtube yesterday of the 2002 opening of the winter games in Salt Lake City. Yea, parts of it were Cirque du Soleil-ized.

Salt Lake City is even further away from Montreal, Quebec than Paris, France is. If not geographically than certainly language and culture-wise.

Olympics2028 - you should just open up your own Special Events firm and bid -- instead of just blathering on and on here about what you think this, what you think about that, etc..  It's gotten so, my eyes just glaze over your posts and quickly move on to the next one.  Why not put your $$ where your mouth is?? :wacko: