I don't think an open-air concept can't be done, but I've been both to Times Square on NYE and Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and they are not experiences I'd ever do again. 

The non-security challenges, IMO:
-How do you keep the show's rhythm dynamic and exciting?
-How do you use sleight-of-hand and element of surprise on such a huge scale?
-How do you keep a consistent focal point throughout the whole show?

If Paris does go open-air then perhaps it's the right time to go back to a daylight ceremony. Sunshine for the artistic segment, Sunset for the Parade of Nations, and Night for the cauldron lighting. Lights and technology aren't as useful at this scale. Make the ceremony all about sun, optimism, color, and the beauty of Paris on summer day.

Unless it rains, that'd suck. Lol.

35 minutes ago, SeriousPotato said:

Unless it rains, that'd suck. Lol.

Well, they can finally resurrect one of the cancelled ideas from LA 1984 Opening.  This would be the segue to LA 2028's portion -- even if it is in the Opening. ;)

See the source image

B)

But a 7-8-hour Ceremony is unsustainable.  Perhaps a few hundred groupies around the world will watch it -- but the strain on the production staff will be unbearable.  Surely, there will be lapses in security over such a prolonged program, and if something "bad" happens in the first hour, that pretty much kills a multi-hour marathon telecast; and casts a pall on those Games.  

• Like 1

As a Parisian, I'm a bit torn by the idea of an opening ceremony on the Seine.

Of course it's gonna be a security and logistics nightmare, but that doesn't worry me too much. We're kinda used to that, every year on Bastille Day, 300k people attend the military parade on the Champs-Elysées, 500k spectators watch the fireworks on the Champ de Mars in the evening, and a few days later, another 300k people attend the last stage of the Tour de France, without any major inconvenience. Now of course, the Olympics are an even much higher scale, but as we say, impossible n'est pas français.

As someone said a few weeks ago on the Tokyo opening ceremony topic, ceremonies are mode for TV, and this one will look amazing if you're watching on TV. The aerial views of Paris at sunset are stunning, and the fireworks on the Eiffel tower always look impressive, so it should definitely be one of the most picturesque opening ceremony ever.

But as incredible as it would look, I'd prefer if the ceremony was held at the Stade de France because I intend to buy tickets for it, and I feel like a ceremony on the Seine would ruin the rythm and the surprises like SeriousPotato said, and kill the unity of space and time that you have in a stadium. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fiorenzo said:

As a Parisian, I'm a bit torn by the idea of an opening ceremony on the Seine.

Of course it's gonna be a security and logistics nightmare, but that doesn't worry me too much. We're kinda used to that, every year on Bastille Day, 300k people attend the military parade on the Champs-Elysées, 500k spectators watch the fireworks on the Champ de Mars in the evening, and a few days later, another 300k people attend the last stage of the Tour de France, without any major inconvenience. Now of course, the Olympics are an even much higher scale, but as we say, impossible n'est pas français.

As someone said a few weeks ago on the Tokyo opening ceremony topic, ceremonies are mode for TV, and this one will look amazing if you're watching on TV. The aerial views of Paris at sunset are stunning, and the fireworks on the Eiffel tower always look impressive, so it should definitely be one of the most picturesque opening ceremony ever.

But as incredible as it would look, I'd prefer if the ceremony was held at the Stade de France because I intend to buy tickets for it, and I feel like a ceremony on the Seine would ruin the rythm and the surprises like SeriousPotato said, and kill the unity of space and time that you have in a stadium. 

Bienvenue, Fiorenzo.  Agreed.  Just for the safety of people--including the performers, it should be in a stadium.  I hope you can knock some sense into that terribly naive Estanguet. 

Just at the opening day of Tour de France this year, that one crazy woman stepped onto the road with whatever sign was -- and it caused injuries and accidents to the bikers themselves!!  And this was ONE WOMAN probably with no evil intentions.  Have they even found her now?  What more, more cunning bad actors with real evil intentions?  

This is what happened on Opening Day of 2021 Tour de France in an uncontrolled environment . . . the mayhem and injuries caused by that un-thinking woman.  Can this or something like it repeat on 26 July 2024?? 

ss-2021-6-27-7-8_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqt6mWTsDFh1-c_5ALF2FurPSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png?imwidth=960

Underestimation: the Maginot Line, Pearl Harbor, Munich 1972, Sept 11, attacks in the London metro on July 2005, Columbine, Charlie Hebdo, US Congress, January 6, Kabul Airport - August 2021, etc., etc.,  . . . 

You get it to come back after -- trying so hard for -- 100 years -- and what? Some wacko or group of psychopathes can TOTALLY ruin it on one night!!  All Estanguet can do, is to quit in shame -- but people will have been needlessly harmed for some stupid, misguided "vision" of his.  

After all, giant screens can be put up on the Champs du Mars, on the Place Republique, in the Bois du Boulogne, the Trocadero, etc, -- as has been done since the Nazi Games of Berlin 1936.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I also think that it would be a great show for TV in the perfect place, much more appealing than a traditional ceremony in a stadium, but maybe boring on site. Regarding safety, I assume it would be a closed controlled area, as most of massive street events worldwide, with the crowd placed on certain areas, checkpoints, barriers and so on. I don't see why that would be a nightmare and festivals or even an Olympic marathon in the city centre for two hours isn't. But that's only my opinion. We'll see how it all turns out.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, HenryOaks said:

I also think that it would be a great show for TV in the perfect place . . .

Why would it be a ". . . great show for TV? when it would be very disjointed?  I mean if it's all over the place -- it would have NO FOCUS.  They would have to be switching from Location A, to Location B, to Location C, etc, to give the viewer a taste of something.  Even Mardi Gras, the Macy's Day Parade, Pasadena's Tournament of Roses parade are just run in one stream so there is some sort of locus and unity of purpose -- not a splattered wreck. :wacko:  So, how could Paris' multi-site idea be a "great show for TV . . . or anyone"?  :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why would it be a ". . . great show for TV? when it would be very disjointed?  I mean if it's all over the place -- it would have NO FOCUS.  They would have to be switching from Location A, to Location B, to Location C, etc, to give the viewer a taste of something.  Even Mardi Gras, the Macy's Day Parade, Pasadena's Tournament of Roses parade are just run in one stream so there is some sort of locus and unity of purpose -- not a splattered wreck. :wacko:  So, how could Paris' multi-site idea be a "great show for TV . . . or anyone"?  :blink:

Quite easy: good production and cameras, the magic of television.

22 minutes ago, HenryOaks said:

Quite easy: good production and cameras, the magic of television.

But what about the live spectators and those who will pay premium  2k Euros for a premium seat?  I say, having worked in TV production for a few years -- it will be extremely difficult to pull one off.  Even their so-called "Intro" to Paris wasn't all that innovative to me.  Unless they hire American producers, it will be weirdly "Gallic" again.  :wacko:

So, they did it before in 1998.  But how strange, that NOBODY else has done it they way they did.  I wonder if they even finessed any feedback from that show?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, BigVic said:

A sound and light show took place at the Yarra River with a pyrotechnic display. Some inspirations from Melbourne 2006 can be used for Paris 2024. 

Sure.  Oz is an island nation where the few undesirables are probably under watch by whatever your/their FBI or Interpol is.  France is at the crossroads of Europe's open borders.  Plus, it has all those scores of restive young muslim men who --regardless of what anybody else says -- are just ripe for the plucking by a revived ISIS again -- and will want to make s "statement" to prove their allegiance to ISIS or whatever else formulates over the next 3 years.  The open-street thing they did for World Cup 1998 was IMHO, a big BORING thud.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

18 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But what about the live spectators and those who will pay premium  2k Euros for a premium seat?  I say, having worked in TV production for a few years -- it will be extremely difficult to pull one off.  Even their so-called "Intro" to Paris wasn't all that innovative to me.  Unless they hire American producers, it will be weirdly "Gallic" again.  :wacko:

So, they did it before in 1998.  But how strange, that NOBODY else has done it they way they did.  I wonder if they even finessed any feedback from that show?  

If they go ahead with this option they'll find a way to make it all fit together to offer something remarkable, or so I hope. I'm more concerned about LA's proposal, not a big fan of indoor venues for ceremonies, although it seems they'll use the outdoor one too.

• Thanks 1

That could be any one of the dozen or so bateaux mouches that ply the Seine, decked in Olympic finery.  You guys are so desperate for any drop of Paris' ceremonies which, if they are happen, will be mostly outdoors -- so NO BIG secret.  It will all be out there -- even for ISIS and the Taliban to see!  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some big news is coming about the opening ceremony:

That red line is very clearly the path of the Seine through Paris, so it looks like we are going open air. Not long until we find out more at least, they must have big plans to announce it all nearly 3 years out from the big night. I'm pleased to see them applying some of that French flair to it :)

• Like 2

The 2010 Asian Games Opening Ceremony in Guangzhou, China took place at the Pearl River rather than the Guangdong Olympic Stadium which was well-recieved with even the late IOC President Jacques Rogge saying it was better than the Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony. 

An outdoor Ceremony also took place at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires 

33 minutes ago, yoshi said:

It's useful being able to understand un peu de French - this suggests they'll be showing images of the concept this evening:

It's obviously big, and involving the river - does the Seine actually go anywhere near Stade de France?

Not directly (maybe 1 km), but there‘s a canal that links to the Seine.

I don‘t think it‘s the most picturesque part of the riverside on the way through Paris though…

That's exactly what they've done, even if their definition of 5:30 is...interesting:

And Stefan, no need to worry because there's no stadium in this:

Photo du projet de la cérémonie d'ouverture des Jeux Olympiques de Paris 2024. Les délégations navigueraient sur la Seine et le public serait sur les berges. Des animations sportives tel que du BMX seraient organisés tout au long du parcours.

Photo du projet de la cérémonie d'ouverture des Jeux Olympiques de Paris 2024. Les délégations navigueraient sur la Seine et le public serait sur les berges.

Photo du projet de la cérémonie d'ouverture des Jeux Olympiques de Paris 2024. Les délégations navigueraient sur la Seine et le public serait sur les berges. Des animations artistiques seraient organisés tout au long du parcours.

The first pic looks like the parade of nations on barges too - gotta say I love the look of this. Great way to show off Paris, and there's something so distinctively French about it...excited already :) 

• Like 1