Stockholm 2004

Brekkie Boy

Hi.  

I've been drawing a blank on this but having looked at the sadly unsuccessful Winter Olympics bid of 2026 I saw that Stockholm did bid for the summer games of 2004, but their bid book seems unavailable.  All I've found is a promo video which doesn't really detail the bid (or sell it that well TBH).

To be honest though I've just got one question - what were their plans for the main Olympic Stadium?   With the 1912 stadium only holding around 15,000 that couldn't have been the main value, and I suspect it's historic nature meant knocking it down and replacing it would not have been considered.   I'm guessing any plans may have evolved into what became the Friends Arena, which opened in 2009.

Ah yes, the Stockholm 2004 bid which, much like with the 2026 one, no one in Sweden wanted. They went to the extreme of literally bombing both the Olympic Stadium and Ullevi Stadium (Gotheburg) as a sign of protest and to also scare people from voting Stockholm in 1997.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/25/world/another-blast-in-sweden-during-bid-for-olympics.html

On 8/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, Brekkie Boy said:

To be honest though I've just got one question - what were their plans for the main Olympic Stadium?   With the 1912 stadium only holding around 15,000 that couldn't have been the main value, and I suspect it's historic nature meant knocking it down and replacing it would not have been considered.   I'm guessing any plans may have evolved into what became the Friends Arena, which opened in 2009.

They wanted to build a whole new stadium. Half of the tribunes would be temporary, though, since a permanent 70.000 spectators stadium for Stockholm was ridiculous. There is more info about the project here.

https://www.oma.com/projects/stockholm-olympic-stadium