Western Sydney 2026: NSW Govt in active discussions to put forward bid

On 8/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

2032 could have been Sydney's.

Unfortunately not.   Since Sydney won the 2000 Olympic Games, the IOC has changed the rules requiring that the Olympic Games can only now be staged in July/August. This effectively rules out the southern states off Australia bidding for another Olympic Games as the weather is too cold and wet during those months.   This new IOC rule was not in place when Sydney 2000 began in September. 

As much as I’d like to see the Commonwealth Games return to Sydney/Western Sydney, unfortunately, this area and most of NSW is in a long lockdown right now, in the worst COVID  outbreak of the pandemic so far in Australia.   Case numbers in NSW recently seemed to have “peaked” at around 1600 cases and more than doubling the Victorian daily case numbers (750) at the peak of the long 2020 Victorian lockdown.   The Western suburbs of Sydney include the worst hit areas in Australia for daily case numbers.

Although previously having expressed support for a possible CWG in Western Sydney, the NSW Premier is being heavily criticised for the State Government’s handling of the outbreak.

With all their energy and focus on battling COVID right now, I can’t see NSW being  in a position to contemplate even an emergency 2026 Com Games for a while yet.

That’s not to say that support from the NSW Government for a 2026 CWG in Western Sydney will not return once the outbreak subsides and/or vaccination rates have reached 80% - but right now the clock is ticking with only 10 months before Birmingham 2022 and only 5 years to 2026.

I would be interested as to how a Syndey CWGs in 2026 would after the CWF stated that the the games in Birmingham would be the last big one so to speak. New sports like breaking, surfing, and e sports maybe? Smaller venues?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 5:59 AM, AustralianFan said:

As much as I’d like to see the Commonwealth Games return to Sydney/Western Sydney, unfortunately, this area and most of NSW is in a long lockdown right now, in the worst COVID  outbreak of the pandemic so far in Australia.   Case numbers in NSW recently seemed to have “peaked” at around 1600 cases and more than doubling the Victorian daily case numbers (750) at the peak of the long 2020 Victorian lockdown.   The Western suburbs of Sydney include the worst hit areas in Australia for daily case numbers.

Bizarre logic. You realise the NSW Govt is a massive entity capable of undertaking more than one task at a time?

I would say it should compel them from a stimulus / civic pride point of view.

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Bizarre logic. You realise the NSW Govt is a massive entity capable of undertaking more than one task at a time?

I would say it should compel them from a stimulus / civic pride point of view.

Don’t be ridiculous.  

If you actually believe that the NSW State Government in the middle of a pandemic with over 1,000 cases a day is going to divert any resources, time or energy into an emergency bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games then, buddy, you need a reality check - seriously.

Even the Queensland State Government paused their candidature in 2020 to direct all it’s energy and resources to getting COVID under   control.

COVID is out of control in NSW and Victoria right now, perhaps you need to catch up with the news.

45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Now COVID-free W.A. is a dfferent story altogether and is by far realistic prospect to organise an “emergency” 2026 Commonwealth Games candidature than COVID-stricken NSW, providing Governments are onboard.   The Lord Mayor of Perth, Basil Zempilis, seems to be hinting heavily in his tweet about a developing situation (?) ….   interesting

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Perth doesn't have the same calibre of venues as Western Sydney. The current crisis within in NSW isn't forever. Governments have departments that handle different portfolios - as above NSW is more than capable of engaging with the CGF during the current crisis. 

But they’re not negotiating anything are they?  

The 2026 Commonwealth Games are now only 5 years away.

The normal lead-in time from host announcement to Com Games is 7 years.  

An emergency Host is now needed for 2026.

Do you have any recent evidence, examples or announcments by the NSW Government in this regard?
Has the NSW Government recently announced that they are actually negotiating or organising an emergency Commonwealth Games in 2026?

It would be political death for the NSW State Government if they were to launch into an emergency Commonwealth Games bid right now.  They are already being blamed by the elctorate for taking too long to lockdown at the start of this massive outbreak.

Perth 2026

As far as Perth’s capability goes, you’re way out of date.   Things have come a long way since they hosted the CW Games in 1962.

• Athletics/Ceremonies - Optus Stadium - 60,000 - has the best and newestbhigh tech stadium in the whole country and last might hosted the AFL Grand Final to a capacity crowd. Design and dimensions enables mode switch to athletics.
  • Aquatics/Swimming/Diving - Perth Superdrome complex - has hosted the FINA World Swimming Championships twice at the Superdrome Aquatic complex facilities in 1991 and 1998. Used 15,000 capacity temporary grandstands as in CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Badminton - Perth Badminton Arena
  • Basketball - WA Basketball Centre
  • Beach Volleyball - Scarborough Beach
  • Boxing - Perry Lakes Basketball Stadium
  • Cricket T20 - WACA 
  • Cycling Track - SpeedDome velodrome
  • Gymnastics - Perth Arena - 15,500 large hi-tech large CBD arena which hosts NBL Team Perth Wildcats,and Tennis tournaments
  • Hockey - Perth Hockey Stadium
  • Judo - at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast 
  • Lawn Bowls - North Perth Lawn Bowls Centre
  • Mountain Biking - Kalamunda Mountain Bike Park
  • Netball - State Netball Centre
  • Rugby Sevens - Joondalup Arena
  • Shooting - Whiteman Park
  • Squash - The Squash Factory 
  • Table Tennisat one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Triathlon - Swan River, Kings Park
  • Weightlifting - Perth Concert Hall
  • Wrestlingat one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

But they’re not negotiating anything are they?  

The 2026 Commonwealth Games are now only 5 years away.

The normal lead-in time from host announcement to Com Games is 7 years.  

An emergency Host is now needed for 2026.

Do you have any recent evidence, examples or announcments by the NSW Government in this regard?
Has the NSW Government recently announced that they are actually negotiating or organising an emergency Commonwealth Games in 2026?

It would be political death for the NSW State Government if they were to launch into an emergency Commonwealth Games bid right now.  They are already being blamed by the elctorate for taking too long to lockdown at the start of this massive outbreak.

Perth 2026

As far as Perth’s capability goes, you’re way out of date.   Things have come a long way since they hosted the CW Games in 1962.

• Athletics/Ceremonies - Optus Stadium - 60,000 - has the best and newestbhigh tech stadium in the whole country and last might hosted the AFL Grand Final to a capacity crowd. Design and dimensions enables mode switch to athletics.
  • Aquatics/Swimming/Diving - Perth Superdrome complex - has hosted the FINA World Swimming Championships twice at the Superdrome Aquatic complex facilities in 1991 and 1998. Used 15,000 capacity temporary grandstands as in CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Badminton - Perth Badminton Arena
  • Basketball - WA Basketball Centre
  • Beach Volleyball - Scarborough Beach
  • Boxing - Perry Lakes Basketball Stadium
  • Cricket T20 - WACA 
  • Cycling Track - SpeedDome velodrome
  • Gymnastics - Perth Arena - 15,500 large hi-tech large CBD arena which hosts NBL Team Perth Wildcats,and Tennis tournaments
  • Hockey - Perth Hockey Stadium
  • Judo - at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast 
  • Lawn Bowls - North Perth Lawn Bowls Centre
  • Mountain Biking - Kalamunda Mountain Bike Park
  • Netball - State Netball Centre
  • Rugby Sevens - Joondalup Arena
  • Shooting - Whiteman Park
  • Squash - The Squash Factory 
  • Table Tennisat one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Triathlon - Swan River, Kings Park
  • Weightlifting - Perth Concert Hall
  • Wrestlingat one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast

IDK if this topic was already covered here, but what about london as an emergency (and potentially permanent) host city of the commonwealth games, I mean, they got all infrastructure from back 2012 and all around england, so I guess it wouln't be a big problem to host the thing in the heart of the commonwealth

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

IDK if this topic was already covered here, but what about london as an emergency (and potentially permanent) host city of the commonwealth games, I mean, they got all infrastructure from back 2012 and all around england, so I guess it wouln't be a big problem to host the thing in the heart of the commonwealth

Absolutely London, and lots of cities in the Commomwealth have the venues and capability.  

It’s the political will from the ruling governments from potential emergency host cities is what is needed and time is running out.

Yes - 'Victorian - your burner account for you to talk to yourself.

What the —-k ??

Wow, this is a bit gob-smacking.   Did your team lose in the Grand Final (just asking) ?

Sorry to disappoint you but ‘Victorian’ is a real, very creative, genuine and a completely different person to me. Victorian is also an avid, passionate Olympics fan who posts regularly on Gamesbids.com.    ( Victorian, I hope you don’t mind my assessment of you and if what I’ve said is accurate ).

Victorian’s amazing creative talents include creating an inspired  Brisbane 2032 Logo which the administrators of Gamesbids.com has taken onboard and have widely promoted it outside these blogs, including Facebook. 

Australian Kiwi, no offence intended, but I’d recommend you re-assess what you just posted,   and/or go and have a bex and a lie-down.   

Regards,

AustralianFan

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yes - 'Victorian - your burner account for you to talk to yourself.

Hi Victorian

Thankyou for first discovering and being the first to break the news on Gamesbids.com with your about the Perth Lord Mayor’s weekend tweet about a Commonwealth Games in Perth at the other 2026 Com Games thread in the link below: 

2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

This post now is to reassure AustralianKiwi that you are not a “burner account” and you are indeed a very real person, different to me, and a creative, talented and passionate Olympics fan.

Warm regards,

AustralianFan :)

• Haha 1