Western Sydney 2026: NSW Govt in active discussions to put forward bid

As I mentioned in the other thread...

looks like Australia is likely to step in for 2026 with talks underway with the NSW State Govt (I understand likely reviving 'Western Sydney 2026' centred upon Homebush, Parramatta and Blacktown - the push is from these councils).

Makes sense - the region has some great infrastructure (even post-2000) and is getting a new international airport. It is in some ways a distinctly different flavour of Sydney than the more famous eastern side (even though the 2000 Olympic Park is technically in WS). 

I understand from a reliable source that the Victorian Government was also quietly engaged earlier and considered a 'diluted' 2006 model was considered that would have not used the MCG (I suspect Track and Field at Albert Park - ceremonies at Rod Laver?). Eventually landed on a No from Melbourne. SA Govt also said No last year to an Adelaide hosting. 

Keen to see whether this NSW idea gets up - Western Sydney could be interesting and different to Melbourne and Gold Coast (and as the article says a good boost towards the 2032 Olympics). 

• Like 1

They should just rename it the Ashes. It'll be our turn to host again in 2030! ;)

Sydney 2026 does sound fun though.

Actually, considering it hosted such a brilliant Olympics it's been conspicuous by its absence since 2000. Certainty when it comes to major international events.

Edited by Rob.

6 minutes ago, Rob. said:

They should just rename it the Ashes. It'll be our turn to host again in 2030! ;)

Sydney 2026 does sound fun though.

Actually, considering it hosted such a brilliant Olympics it's been conspicuous by its absence since 2000. Certainty when it comes to major international events.

Agree . Resting on its laurels some have said (although I don't necessarily agree - its changed a lot since the Olympics). 

2032 could have been Sydney's.

1 minute ago, Scotguy II said:

They will certainly be in safe hands with Sydney (unless a pandemic breaks out haha)

Will be nice to see Athletics in stadium Australia again

I wouldn't count on that.

While I do think that the 2000 Olympic venues (and Olympic Park generally) would play a pivotal role in a Sydney-region Commonwealth Games Stadium Australia is in a permanent rectangular arrangement since the Olympics and a track couldn't fit. I could see it hosting the Ceremonies - and perhaps T&F taking place at the nearby Olympic Park Athletics Centre (15,000 permanent capacity - could be expanded for a Commonwealth Games?)

You can see Stadium Australia in the background (top right) of the pic below...

sydney-athletic-centre-1.jpg

• Like 1

Forgive the dumb Pom, but is Western Sydney not just... Sydney? A Commonwealth Games in the Stratford Olympic Park wouldn't be called East London, even though that's where it is. Be good to finally get a host, it was looking like Birmingham would be handing over to a vacuum, but it's still sad to see the games turn into the Ashes, there's so many Commonwealth countries that you'd think could make it work that the Olympics would be too big for as they stand. 

25 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Forgive the dumb Pom, but is Western Sydney not just... Sydney? A Commonwealth Games in the Stratford Olympic Park wouldn't be called East London, even though that's where it is.

Careful with that kind of talk, or I'll get the map out again! ...

On 9/12/2013 at 5:48 PM, yoshi said:

RobH used to have a sig spoofing the Rio map, with White City, Wembley, & Stratford highlighted, with the strapline "The map that will win Croydon the Olympics" :lol:

Edited by Rob.

29 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Forgive the dumb Pom, but is Western Sydney not just... Sydney? A Commonwealth Games in the Stratford Olympic Park wouldn't be called East London, even though that's where it is. Be good to finally get a host, it was looking like Birmingham would be handing over to a vacuum, but it's still sad to see the games turn into the Ashes, there's so many Commonwealth countries that you'd think could make it work that the Olympics would be too big for as they stand. 

Yes, it is part of Greater Sydney. However, this is a big urban area (now pushing 6 million+ people over a very large area) and has several different regions.

'Western Sydney' comprises about 2 million people - includes Sydney Olympic Park itself- and doesn't include the Harbour and famous icons of Sydney. Its a geopolitical entity... perhaps think of Greater Los Angeles Metroplex vs City of Los Angeles... you could compare Western Sydney to Long Beach or San Bernardino in that sense. Mississauga in Toronto is another example. 

Massive news!! Would love it to come down under!

Sydney deserves a CWG. It is a big city (like London) but doesn't get touted as Commonwealth Games cities for whatever reason. I like the Western Sydney based formula too.

Agree with Sydney Olympic Park Athletics Stadium to be used for the Athletics. As much as I would love it at ANZ in the massive stadium, it is more viable to be at the Olympic Park then maybe put some temporary grandstands.

As for other venues, thanks to austadiums here are some ideas for venues

Homebush has quite a few of stadiums but Parramatta/Blacktown do not.

Netball Central

Sydney Olympic Park-Homebush

Stadium Australia (Oval-ish stadium- 83,500) would host Ceremonies and potentially Athletics

Sydney Showground Stadium (Oval stadium- 24,000) Could host Cricket

Netball Central (Indoor Stadium-860) could host smaller sports such as Taekwondo, Judo

Sydney Superdome (Indoor stadium- 17,471) could host Netball, Gymnastics

Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre (Indoor Stadium- 4,500) could host Boxing, Table Tennis

Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre (Aquatics Stadium- 10,000) would host Swimming and Diving

Sydney Olympic Park Athletics Centre (Athletics Stadium- 15,000) could host Athletics

Sydney Olympic Park Hockey Centre (Hockey Stadium- 8,000) would host Field Hockey

Ken Rosewall Arena (Indoor stadium- 10,500) could host Boxing, Netball

The Dome and Exhibition Complex (Indoor Conventions centre- 10,000) could host Badminton, Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Squash

Parramatta

Bankwest Stadium (Rectangular Stadium-30,000) would host Rugby Sevens

Blacktown

Blacktown International Sportspark (Oval stadium) Could host Cricket

Parramatta and Blacktown could take 3X3 Basketball, Beach Volleyball in a temporary venue as well as Triathlon?, the Marathon and sports such as road and mountain bike cycling? Lawn Bowls

Other:

Mount Lewis Bowling Club could also host Bowls although it is in Canterbury-Bankstown

Dunc Grey Velodrome would host track cycling although it is in Canterbury-Bankstown

Sydney International Shooting Centre although it is in Fairfield could be used for Shooting

Look, as an Australian I would love to see the games return down under although I understand and would want to see new hosts pop up!

I know it's not relevant to this first ever Games bid by a suburb, but is there any reason why Singapore is never even talked about as a possible host? Have they ever talked about bidding, has it ever been raised by the CGF? They're in the Commonwealth, they've already hosted bigger events (the youth Olympics), they'd be a new host country, they're extremely well connected, so why isn't it even considered as a possibility? Lille

3 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I know it's not relevant to this first ever Games bid by a suburb, but is there any reason why Singapore is never even talked about as a possible host? Have they ever talked about bidding, has it ever been raised by the CGF? They're in the Commonwealth, they've already hosted bigger events (the youth Olympics), they'd be a new host country, they're extremely well connected, so why isn't it even considered as a possibility? Lille

I have always wondered this. They had a terrific 2015 SEA games! They just never have bidded. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/16251/exclusive-singapore-could-bid-for-2022-commonwealth-games#:~:text=March 17 - Singapore has the,Government official there has claimed.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Other:

Mount Lewis Bowling Club could also host Bowls although it is in Canterbury-Bankstown

Dunc Grey Velodrome would host track cycling although it is in Canterbury-Bankstown

Sydney International Shooting Centre although it is in Fairfield could be used for Shooting

Look, as an Australian I would love to see the games return down under although I understand and would want to see new hosts pop up!

Canterbury-Bankstown is part of Western Sydney. You can bet Dunc Grey (the 2000 Olympic velodrome) would be the 2026 venue.

Proposal for Athletics looking at the two options. If it is at Stadium, it will be more costly as there will be some of the southern grandstand needing to be removed to allow the athletics track to be installed. There will be little legacy as the track would get removed post games.

This brings us to the SOPAC Proposal. On the left is the stadium in 'games mode' with the right showing 'legacy mode'. It pretty much mirrors the Alexander Stadium module for Birmingham. A new grandstand is installed on the eastern side and will remain post games. The lighter coloured seats show temporary seating installed for the games before being removed post games and returning to grass banks.

AHHRcNV.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

If it is at Stadium, it will be more costly as there will be some of the southern grandstand needing to be removed to allow the athletics track to be installed.

Funny, I also came across this today

https://stadiumaustralia.com.au/footer/news-and-media/2020/great-southern-screen-to-transform-game-day-experience-at-stadium-australia/

So yeah, I think taking all that down just for the CWG can probably be ruled out! :lol:

I'm intrigued by how this sounds very much like an NSW government thing rather than having the Australian government or even Commonwealth Games Australia involved...is it a hint towards Australian states participating separately in the Games? I mean I doubt it but it'd be a great little domestic rivalry to spur everyone on before the Olympics, and might even give us a chance to win the Ashes in Australia for once :lol:

14 hours ago, yoshi said:

I'm intrigued by how this sounds very much like an NSW government thing rather than having the Australian government or even Commonwealth Games Australia involved...is it a hint towards Australian states participating separately in the Games? I mean I doubt it but it'd be a great little domestic rivalry to spur everyone on before the Olympics, and might even give us a chance to win the Ashes in Australia for once :lol:

TBH with the way things are going lately it wouldn't surprise me. 

The  SOPAC Proposal will work just fine ..they still have the big stadium for ceremonies, a big enough stadium for athletics and an improved athletics stadium legacy...its a win/win.

The SOPAC stadium is actually very nice, and a second main grandstand will make it even better, and will cost very little.

• Like 1

I wasn't keen on such a quick return to Australia but with Brisbane having the 2032 Olympics that probably rules out 2030/34, so 2026 almost has to happen.   I think if Canada want the centenial games in 2030 they'll get them as realistically that might be the only time they bid, then a UK games in 2034 before returning to Australia in 2038 I suspect.   Although the future of the games always looks dicey if they get 2026 right they could potentially secure the next 20 or so years of the games.

Agree with the above post about Singapore though - they've said in the past they couldn't afford them but they can't be much bigger than the Youth Olympics or SEA Games to host and they'd be a very reliable new host for the games.   Would love to see them return to New Zealand too but the time has probably past for Christchurch to be at a centre of a bid.

• 3 weeks later...