Sapporo 2030: Give them an offer they can't refuse with no bids involved

Thomas and the IOC gang have to be praying that a sweedish miracle, emphasis on MIRACLE, happens... Sapporo is of course very much out now, Salt Lake has a LA28-being-near-it problem, Vancouver was deader than dead for a while.

2030 is really needing a hard miracle right now.

We already had one miracle with Milan/Cortina, I keep emphasizing that and I think people forget it. Olympic fans were EXTREMELY fortunate that Italy swooped in with a last second bid for the 2026 games because that was equally dire.  Without Italy 2026 would have been in a big deal of hurt.  

I Know the whispers around the casuals are getting louder for A-town to make another play.  They may be needed.....  But A-town isn't USA, Canada, Europe.  They dont have the experience to pull something together that fast.  If you're going to get Almaty in on it, you gotta get them on board to try this summer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 5:02 AM, aayansh5as said:

I'm hoping that the 2030 Winter Olympics in Sapporo would be a post COVID-19 event which is the light at the end of the tunnel.

The Olympics are an expensive and risky endeavor.  If Sapporo and Japan was on board, I would welcome them with open arms.  But they're rightfully jaded after their experiences with Tokyo.  So it's understandable that the public is less than enthused about getting in bed again with the IOC

• Like 1

Unless the IOC is on a total suicide mission, they ain't touching Russia (nor China for that matter) with a ten-foot pole for 2030. They'd sooner just cut a deal with the USOC for SLC to take on 2030 & be done with it. And then worry about 2034 later (even though their ultimate goal was something different).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Unless the IOC is on a total suicide mission, they ain't touching Russia (nor China for that matter) with a ten-foot pole for 2030. They'd sooner just cut a deal with the USOC for SLC to take on 2030 & be done with it. And then worry about 2034 later (even though their ultimate goal was something different).

Agreed, but my gest is only halfway......because Bach is all but blowing Putin right now.  Its frightening, and worth keeping an eye on.

4 hours ago, iceman530 said:

You know, the way Bach is talking........Im not sure entirely Sochi 2030 is off the table.  I laugh and cry inside all at the same time.

No, it's entirely off the table.  FYI isn't over-stating things when he calls it suicide.  That could literally be the end of the Olympic movement if they even thought about that.  Besides, Bach isn't going to be IOC president in 2030.  You really think he wants to leave that mess for the next person who comes into power?  Yes, the is bending over backwards to try and be what they consider to be apolitical.  Could you imagine how the world would react if the Olympics were going to go back to Russia, especially after what happened the last time they did it?  No need to keep an eye on any of that

Surely even the IOC wouldn't be so tone deaf as to give Sochi anything... surely? It does sound to the cynical side of me like he still hasn't given up even now on St Petersburg 2036 though. I still think both Tommy and P*tin have long planned that as their grand flagship statement together, and people like that don't let go easily :unsure:

• Like 1

I do think the IOC under Bach would rather commit suicide than give in to critics. The way the EB yesterday handled the Russia question with again a lukewarm statement full of loopholes shows that they’d rather bend to Putin these days (kompromat anyone?).

However, at this stage Sochi 2030 would be immediate death, especially considering that the vast majority of winter sports powers are pro-Ukraine (at least governments). St Pete 2036…well, wouldn’t surprise me if they still want to push that one, hoping with time, support for Ukraine will fall apart.

I doubt that Bach has any ethical concerns at all. That applies to many IOC members as well.

Also, remember many of them come from countries where the west is regarded with suspicion and the Russian invasion and atrocities of less concern. They most likely would shrug off a threat of boycott that they, not without reason, wouldn't believe could materialize.

However, Bach has to balance what he can get away with within the IOC with the all-important money, most of which comes from the west. If the IOC takes way too outrageous decisions that flow will trickle off. Admittedly they have to go very far for companies to realize that olympic sponsoring could be a "bad" instead of a "good".

This means that, out of sheer self-interest, Sochi will not be on the agenda.

9 minutes ago, fusilli said:

Why would IOC do a 1936 replica? It's beyond non-sense! :wacko:

Beijing 2022 was non-sense too then (not wanting to go back to a discussion about China being more reliable than Kazakhstan or why those two were the last ones standing, just the fact that there is clear evidence for concentration camps in Xinjiang and the IOC didn’t even raise an eyebrow).

IOC will do whatever serves them and what they can get away with. They got away with China.

They will lose significant money if they place any olympic games in Russia today so they will probably think that they can't get away with it -  yet.

1 hour ago, fusilli said:

Why would IOC do a 1936 replica? It's beyond non-sense! 

This highlights another problem. When Berlin was designated for the 1936 games it was the capital of a democracy. At the time the surprising part was that the Nazis, who disliked and distrusted the olympic movement, embraced it. Funnily enough the olympic greeting hasn't been used since.

29 minutes ago, Sigh said:

IOC will do whatever serves them and what they can get away with. They got away with China.

They will lose significant money if they place any olympic games in Russia today so they will probably think that they can't get away with it -  yet.

This highlights another problem. When Berlin was designated for the 1936 games it was the capital of a democracy. At the time the surprising part was that the Nazis, who disliked and distrusted the olympic movement, embraced it. Funnily enough the olympic greeting hasn't been used since.

And in comparison, this would bring even more non-sense to the point. Why would IOC award a country currently ruled by a regime right in the middle of its raging aggressive practise? :blink:

1 hour ago, fusilli said:

And in comparison, this would bring even more non-sense to the point. Why would IOC award a country currently ruled by a regime right in the middle of its raging aggressive practise? :blink:

The IOC just allowed the athletes representing that regime (neutral bla bla aside) to take part. Unlike after WW1 and WW2. And unlike Apartheid South Africa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sigh said:

2 hours ago, fusilli said:

In hindsight, it's easy to say that we should have known what Hitler was about to unleash when Germany hosted in 1936.  But that's not the case.  They did everything they could to sanitize their image to make sure no one would wise up to their intentions to declare war.

Russia is already past that point.  It would be the equivalent of Germany 1940, not 1936.  To say nothing of the doping scandal.  With regard to the IOC, anywhere in Russia is scorched earth at the very very least until this conflict ends.  And then, even if St. Petersburg has their eye on a future Olympics, it's probably going to be a long time before the IOC is willing to wade into those waters.  We saw what happened when they were just in China.  Imagine trying to sell media outlets on paying for an Olympics in Russia.  It's not going to do over well

We hope so, we really......really hope so.  Awarding Russia a games right now would make Qatar 2022 look like a masterpiece, tame in comparison.  I am just saying, Bach's willingness to bend over for Putin is downright startling.  It is profoundly awful and he seems to not even care about the optics of it.  

There are enough authoritarian regimes in reserve that are in line for 2036.  Istanbul and Budapest look like very appealing chummy candidates that are not as terrible as Russia.  Erdogan or Orban will be perfect patsies to give the IOC what they want.  To me, Istanbul and Budapest are "the line".  They're terrible, but not terrible enough to not award the games to.  And the cities and history thing for both cities is rock solid too.