Sapporo 2030: Give them an offer they can't refuse with no bids involved

• London 2012: £2 billion original budget, £9 billion final budget
  • Sochi 2014: $12 billion original budget, $51 billion + Crimea final budget
  • Rio 2016: $2.7 billion original budget, $13+ billion final budget
  • Pyeongchang 2018: $8 billion original budget, $13 billion final budget 
  • Tokyo 2020*: $7 billion original budget, $30 billion final budget 

The $2.6 billion will likely turn into $10-$11 billion.

(Also, London 2012 looks surprisingly reasonable in hindsight. Rio was a little cheaper after currency conversion and inflation, but London got more for their money.)

• 3 weeks later...

IOC in Sapporo to assess 2030 Winter Games venues

International Olympic Committee officials on Tuesday began inspecting competition venues in the northern city of Sapporo, seen as a frontrunner to host the 2030 Winter Games.

On their three-day visit, the IOC delegation will also look at road access in and around Sapporo, which was the first Asian city to host a Winter Olympics in 1972.

A city official said that the visit is “part of our continued dialogue” with the IOC and that “we also hope to receive technical advice” from the organization.

The three-member team plans to visit 16 venues in the Hokkaido region, of which Sapporo is the capital.

Sapporo hosted the marathon and race walk events at Tokyo’s Summer Games last year so that athletes could compete in a cooler climate.

Tokyo 2020 went ahead after a one-year pandemic delay and faced public opposition in the months before the event, which was held mostly without spectators over COVID-19 fears.

Sapporo is viewed as a leading contender for 2030 but is likely to face rival bids from other previous Olympic hosts such as Salt Lake City and Vancouver.

The IOC is expected to announce the host city at its general meeting in a year’s time.

Date:May 31,2022

News source:the japan times

Link:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2022/05/31/olympics/winter-olympics/ioc-sapporo-visit/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

so is the Sapporo bid on thin ice again?

Not on thin ice but “stalled for now” as the local law authorising a public vote (referendum) to be held is expected to be defeated.  

So, its not the Olympics themselves which will be defeated but a law allowing a public vote on hosting the Games.  The reason is that referendums as a measure of opinion tend to have higher participation by older, more conservative citizens who tend to vote ‘No’.

They are working out a way to also demonstrate to the IOC of public support amongst younger generstion who in a separate in-person opinion poll in March were in favour of a Sapporo 2030 Winter Olympics with an overall 65% supporting the Games.

Keeping in mind that the IOC want to see that the Games have majority public support but majority public support doesn’t have to be through a public vote such as referendum or plebiscite. A public vote is not the only way to demonstrate public support.

Public votes on Olympic Games have sunk bids dead in their tracks in the past as we know so Sapporo City Assembly are now prepared to stop a public vote from happening at all and find another way.

Salt Lake City 2030 demonstrated to the IOC 87% majority public support for their bid and so a public vote is not happening there.

Similarly Brisbane 2032 win their Games by demonstrating to the IOC 65% public support without holding a public vote. 

• Like 1

Sapporo rejects referendum over bidding for 2030 Winter Olympics

Japan's northern city of Sapporo on Monday rejected holding a referendum to give voters a choice over bidding for the 2030 Winter Olympics.

The city's assembly, controlled by Japan's Liberal Democratic Party — which is also in charge of the national government — turned down having a public vote. Its meeting was streamed online.

Sapporo is known to be one of at least three candidates interested in holding the 2030 Winter Games. The others are Salt Lake City and Vancouver. Spain has also expressed interest.

Salt Lake and Vancouver are not requiring referendums. One of the complications of a Spanish bid is a push to hold a public vote.

When voters in other cities have been given a choice, they have consistently rejected holding the Olympic Games, often citing costs and disruptions.

Sapporo officials have said there is no need for a referendum since its polling shows 52% to be in favor of an Olympic bid.

Hitoshi Murakami, a member of the Japanese Communist Party that proposed the referendum, said the poll results were skewed since the survey was held shortly after the end of last year's delayed Tokyo Olympics.

Tokyo Games costs have been placed at $13.6 billion, the majority of which was public money. Several government audits have shown the official cost to be much higher.

The International Olympic Committee is expected to award the 2030 Olympics in meetings next May in the western Indian metropolis of Mumbai. It could also award the 2034 Winter Olympics.

Sapporo has placed the cost of staging the Winter Olympics at $2.6 billion, although accurately estimating costs almost eight years in advance is impossible. In addition, Olympics routinely run over budget.

Sawako Ishikawa, an assembly member who spoke in favor of the referendum, said people should be allowed to express their views on an event that's crucial for the city’s spending and image.

Hideki Maruyama, a legislator opposed to the referendum, said the bid process was already moving forward. He said public opinion surveys, various research and discussions involving business leaders had already taken place.

Paris is host for the 2024 Summer Olympics, with Los Angeles taking 2028 and Brisbane, Australia, set for 2032. The 2026 Winter Olympics are in Milan-Cortina d'Ampezzo.

Date:2022/06/06

News source:JAPAN TODAY

Link to this article:https://japantoday.com/category/sports/Sapporo-rejects-referendum-over-bidding-for-2030-Winter-Olympics

25 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

So, if Sapporo is keeping it tricky.......we actually dont want Sapporo to do a referendum, right?  just keep with that poll that they rode to town with a few months ago?

We definitely do not.  This is the good and the bad of the new norm.  The folks behind the Sapporo bid likely don't want any official public vote, lest they get a different result than what they want.  So they they can play it up to the IOC that they have the support they need.  And the usual level of accountability might not be there

Based upon not a lot - and possibly wrong assumptions (complete images and video of 1972 don't exist) - I have a sense of respect for "Sapporo 1972" as opposed to "Salt Lake City 2021." I therefore have a soft spot for Sapporo instead of SLC. But OOCs are totally different, including the ones that will be working in the same city but hosting different Olympics, that who I rate as better or not very easily may be full of baloney.

Look at "Tokyo 1964" (which I admired) as opposed to "Tokyo 2020," pandemic or not. So SLC very well may be preferable to Sapporo. But who knows?

On 6/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, iceman530 said:

So, if Sapporo is keeping it tricky.......we actually dont want Sapporo to do a referendum, right?  just keep with that poll that they rode to town with a few months ago?

Exactly.   

They may even do another survey or poll of Sapporo citizens to underline it.  But I’m only guessing and we await their next move.

23 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Interesting paragraph from that article...

Neither Sapporo nor Salt Lake will hold referendums. Sapporo Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto has said surveys of 10,000 people — online, on-street, and by post — show support at between 52% and 65%, Akimoto has given no details of the methodology or the reliability of the surveys.

• Like 1

God.........am I a bad person to say I love that?  Lol.  Im such a selfish son of a gun.......I really want to see Sapporo get this.  That would be a pretty big coup by the IOC in my book.  

What other countries could use the ploy of "baaahhh, we dont need a referendum, look at this poll!"?  Dont think that would fly in North America or Europe.  

Honestly.........that might be a one and done sort of wordsmithing heist.  Might as well take advantage of it then!

16 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

God.........am I a bad person to say I love that?  Lol.  Im such a selfish son of a gun.......I really want to see Sapporo get this.  That would be a pretty big coup by the IOC in my book.  

What other countries could use the ploy of "baaahhh, we dont need a referendum, look at this poll!"?  Dont think that would fly in North America or Europe.  

Honestly.........that might be a one and done sort of wordsmithing heist.  Might as well take advantage of it then!

Lol! I can respect that. At least you’re owning it’s probably not right, but you’ll take it if it gets you what you wish. That’s honest and hurrah for you.

personally, I think the IOC is going to Ned to come in and commission their own independent survey of support. As they always used to do rather than rely on the various biding teams’ surveys. 

oh yeah......pretty much anything else from a political standpoint I would be LIVID if that is how the process went down, but I guess because I am so jaded from being on the opposite end of my own political viewpoint, I would love to see a solid W in something I actually loved and cared passionately about.  Is it not fair?  Absolutely.......but the US supreme court is 6-3 for being not fair too.  I digress, carry on all........

20 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Lol! I can respect that. At least you’re owning it’s probably not right, but you’ll take it if it gets you what you wish. That’s honest and hurrah for you.

personally, I think the IOC is going to Ned to come in and commission their own independent survey of support. As they always used to do rather than rely on the various biding teams’ surveys. 

That could very well happen.

The IOC commissioned their own survey before awarding Brisbane the 2032 Summer Games.  

5 hours ago, iceman530 said:

At the end of the day, what most of us here want is for a well-organized, successfully run Olympics.  That need not go hand in hand with the amount of the public that supports it.  Not to mention that opinions can obviously change over time and who knows how many Japanese might still be jaded over what happened with Tokyo.

Small protests in Tokyo and Sapporo against Olympic bid

A small group of protesters gathered Sunday in central Tokyo and in the northern city of Sapporo to oppose Japan’s overtures to hold the 2030 Winter Olympics.

About 50 people gathered in each locale holding “No Olympics” banners and trying to make their case to a passing public.

The NoOlympics movement does not look to have much oomph behind it with only 50 turning up for this protest a few days ago:

“A small group of protesters gathered Sunday in central Tokyo and in the northern city of Sapporo to oppose Japan's overtures to hold the 2030 Winter Olympics.”

“About 50 people gathered in each locale holding "No Olympics" banners and trying to make their case to a passing public.”

Credit: Protesters march through Tokyo, Sapporo opposing 2030 Winter Olympic bid - 12 June 2022 - CBC