Sapporo 2030: Give them an offer they can't refuse with no bids involved

16 hours ago, Bear said:

Seems straightforward. I would assume the Sapporo Community Dome would be hosting short track/figure skating perhaps with the Hokkaido Sports Prefectural Arena serving as the secondary ice hockey venue?

20 hours ago, munichfan said:

Oh, so no Niseko for Alpine skiing then? I'm a bit disappointed on that one. I think the volcano setting makes for a truly exceptional backdrop there.

That is a BIG bummer for us ski and snowboard fans.  That one stings.  I do hope thats not true.....

4 hours ago, iceman530 said:

That is a BIG bummer for us ski and snowboard fans.  That one stings.  I do hope thats not true.....

Niseko is still listed as a site for apline skiing. Not sure why ITG omitted it in the description. See pg. 23.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FUQEVQj" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/FUQEVQj"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, phandrosis said:

Niseko is still listed as a site for apline skiing. Not sure why ITG omitted it in the description. See pg. 23.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FUQEVQj" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/FUQEVQj"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think it still is.

So the Sapporo Community Dome is the venue for short track and figure skating, but there is absolutely no need whatsoever fora new ice hockey arena when the Makomanai Arena is perfectly capable of being the main ice hockey venue with Hokkaido Preferctural Sports Arena as the secondary one. Even worse is the legacy of the proposed new ice hockey arena is a community center. Projects like these are not going to win over an already skeptical public 

15 hours ago, phandrosis said:

Thank you! Great to have the full document.

And we do indeed see speed skating at Obihiro. Is there any reason, though, as to why Tsukisamu Gymnasium (the old one) is listed as temporary?

5 hours ago, munichfan said:

Thank you! Great to have the full document.

And we do indeed see speed skating at Obihiro. Is there any reason, though, as to why Tsukisamu Gymnasium (the old one) is listed as temporary?

It still possible venue.

On 3/12/2022 at 12:51 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Do Sapporoans really have the appetite for another Games?  Isn't there an all-decisive referendum coming up?  

Yeah, it’s suppose to be sometime this month. Ponder if the survey has now taken a back seat with what’s been going on at the other side of world.

14 hours ago, stryker said:

So the Sapporo Community Dome is the venue for short track and figure skating, but there is absolutely no need whatsoever fora new ice hockey arena when the Makomanai Arena is perfectly capable of being the main ice hockey venue with Hokkaido Preferctural Sports Arena as the secondary one. Even worse is the legacy of the proposed new ice hockey arena is a community center. Projects like these are not going to win over an already skeptical public 

Using existing infrastructure/faciltiies/temporary venues such as new or existing Community Centres aligned with a region’s development and planned infrastructure is what new norm is all about to save costs and avoid unused white elephant venues.

Brisbane 2032 is using several community centres for the Summer Olympic Games:

• Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre - Judo, wrestling   7,500 (existing)
  • Coomera Indoor Sports Centre - Volleyball   11,500  (existing)
  • Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre - Basketball  12,000  (new)
  • Chandler Indoor Sports Centre - Gymnastics   10,000  (rebuild)
  • Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre - Boxing   7,000 (new)
  • Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre - Basketball prelims   6,000  (new)

If Sapporo 2030 can use a cost-saving existing Community Sports Centre as a Winter Games venue (and demonstrate legacy use if it is a new Community Sports Centre to be built), then that is the new norm right there, either way.

20 hours ago, stryker said:

Maybe they should learn a lesson from London's Aquatics Centre there. A community centre really does not need 10,000 seats and a 30m tall hall in the long term.

1 hour ago, munichfan said:

Maybe they should learn a lesson from London's Aquatics Centre there. A community centre really does not need 10,000 seats and a 30m tall hall in the long term.

I think it's almost never the right decision to build a high capacity aquatic centre. I wonder why more hosts don't go the temporary pool in an arena path?

8 minutes ago, ulu said:

I think it's almost never the right decision to build a high capacity aquatic centre. I wonder why more hosts don't go the temporary pool in an arena path?

That’s where the Sydney and London approaches worked. It was a no-brainer that swimming in an Oz Olympics was going to be the hottest ticket, but even here it was also obvious we didn’t Ned a 17,000 seater outside the games. The temporary stands made short-term and long term sense.

Personally, though, having been to events in both Sydney’s and London’s aquatic centres in their respective games times, those nosebleeds seats weren’t the best way to enjoy the swimming. Swimming is actually one of those sports at the Olympics its better to watch on TV rather than live from a distant bleacher.

But it’s the same with so many Olympic sports. Like the old athletics conundrum. Yes, you need a big stadium for the showcase event of the games. But outside the Olympics, and perhaps maybe the world championships, athletics is not a huge crowd-puller.

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

That’s where the Sydney and London approaches worked. It was a no-brainer that swimming in an Oz Olympics was going to be the hottest ticket, but even here it was also obvious we didn’t Ned a 17,000 seater outside the games. The temporary stands made short-term and long term sense.

Personally, though, having been to events in both Sydney’s and London’s aquatic centres in their respective games times, those nosebleeds seats weren’t the best way to enjoy the swimming. Swimming is actually one of those sports at the Olympics its better to watch on TV rather than live from a distant bleacher.

Exactly.

Although 1996 did prompt a indoor swim stadium built on one of the college campuses in Atlanta, it seems to have worked out fine.

Makes me think of what 2028 will do. Since the policy is users should stay on-topic within a thread, if you don't mind, I'm going to carry your post to the LA thread.

5 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Although 1996 did prompt a indoor swim stadium built on one of the college campuses in Atlanta, it seems to have worked out fine.

Atlanta’s swimming is another event I attended personally in 1996. What they did withe venue for games time is open up the glass wall on one side of the pol, and fill it with temporaray bleachers to accommodate the crowds.

Indoor aquatic centres are the preferred model for swimming these days - even recreationally. Here in Oz, just about every suburban swimming facility is being converted to indoor aquatic centres these days… and we have a lot of them. As one of the blue riband Olympic events, swimming at the games faces a huge demand for far more than usual spectator seating - but as Atlanta, Sydney and London showed, there are many creative ways to achieve that. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Atlanta’s swimming is another event I attended personally in 1996. What they did withe venue for games time is open up the glass wall on one side of the pol, and fill it with temporaray bleachers to accommodate the crowds.

Indoor aquatic centres are the preferred model for swimming these days - even recreationally. Here in Oz, just about every suburban swimming facility is being converted to indoor aquatic centres these days… and we have a lot of them. As one of the blue riband Olympic events, swimming at the games faces a huge demand for far more than usual spectator seating - but as Atlanta, Sydney and London showed, there are many creative ways to achieve that. 

I found this - the old (1936) and less old (1996) - very interesting:

20 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Using existing infrastructure/faciltiies/temporary venues such as new or existing Community Centres aligned with a region’s development and planned infrastructure is what new norm is all about to save costs and avoid unused white elephant venues.

Brisbane 2032 is using several community centres for the Summer Olympic Games:

• Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre - Judo, wrestling   7,500 (existing)
  • Coomera Indoor Sports Centre - Volleyball   11,500  (existing)
  • Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre - Basketball  12,000  (new)
  • Chandler Indoor Sports Centre - Gymnastics   10,000  (rebuild)
  • Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre - Boxing   7,000 (new)
  • Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre - Basketball prelims   6,000  (new)

If Sapporo 2030 can use a cost-saving existing Community Sports Centre as a Winter Games venue (and demonstrate legacy use if it is a new Community Sports Centre to be built), then that is the new norm right there, either way.

Community centers are rarely financially viable when converted from Olympics mode to legacy mode. This was a problem for PyeongChang. As for the NewNorm and the emphasis on using existing facilities Sapporo has enough indoor arenas that they don't need another but I wonder if there's some pressure from the IIHF on this.

13 hours ago, ulu said:

Fortunately Paris has figured this out and ditched their planned temporary aquatic center in favor of using the existing La Defense Arena. I suspect this will become the norm going forward.

• Like 1

Majority in Hokkaido back 2030 Winter Olympics bid, poll shows

A majority of people in Hokkaido are in favor of hosting the 2030 Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Sapporo, representatives from the city said Wednesday.

“We have gained a certain level of support” for the bid to host the 2030 Games, Sapporo Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto told reporters regarding preliminary survey results. “We’ll seek cooperation from relevant organizations in order to take the next step.”

Public views were collected between March 2 and Monday in postal, online and street surveys. Valid responses came from a total of 13,875 Sapporo and Hokkaido residents.

The mail survey gained responses from 5,775 of the 10,000 surveyed Sapporo residents. Those in favor or somewhat in favor of the bid made up 52% of the total respondents, while 39% opposed or somewhat opposed it.

In the online survey, covering 5,540 Sapporo and Hokkaido residents, the share of respondents in favor or somewhat in favor stood at 57%, against 26% who opposed or somewhat opposed the bid.

In the street survey, conducted with 2,560 movie theater visitors, 65% were in favor or somewhat in favor of the bid, while 26% opposed or somewhat opposed it.

Detailed survey results will be released in April.

The proportion of opponents was higher in the postal survey with Sapporo residents than in the other surveys, which included Hokkaido residents outside the city.

Akimoto said, “We’ll continue dialogue with citizens and boost efforts to dispel their concerns.”

Sapporo is making preparations to host the 2030 Games, expecting the International Olympic Committee to select the host city at a general meeting in May and June 2023.

Date: March 16,2022

News source:The Japan Times

Link:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/03/16/national/sapporo-winter-olympics-poll/

• Like 2

Looks like we just got ourselves a host :) Lock SLC in for 34 as well, then no need to look for another winter city till the decade is nearly out - all the focus can go on 2036 now, there'll need to be a proper process now Bach's candidate St Petersburg is...out. 

• Like 1