Madrid 2036

Tutankamon

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s ironic that while none of us give much regard to India’s Olympic aspirations, it’s probably one country, considering its devotion to cricket, that wouldn’t have too much commercial problems with accomodating athletics in its main stadiums/ovals.

Good point.  India though is shooting for 2048, and that over the earlier years because they also want to build their sporting prowess and be a contender in the medal count.  Also, based on my trip there in 2019, I think Delhi is going to be their showcase city.  They were building fly-overs and a possible metro.  Next on their "to-do" list are a brand new set of gov't buildings, especially replacing the totally blah Congress buildings.  AND THEN might they get serious with matters Olympic.  So they are going for long-term planning, maybe even beating Durban to it, the other once-&-future Olympic hopeful with a strong Indian presence.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Good point.  India though is shooting for 2048, and that over the earlier years because they also want to build their sporting prowess and be a contender in the medal count.  Also, based on my trip there in 2019, I think Delhi is going to be their showcase city.  They were building fly-overs and a possible metro.  Next on their "to-do" list are a brand new set of gov't buildings, especially replacing the totally blah Congress buildings.  AND THEN might they get serious with matters Olympic.  So they are going for long-term planning, maybe even beating Durban to it, the other once-&-future Olympic hopeful with a strong Indian presence.  

Had the 2010 CWGs not been such a fiasco, I think we'd bee considering Delhi as a serious contender. I'd agree as well that Delhi would be the most likely candidate for a future bid. I do speculate though if Delhi would be better served in the meantime by trying to host an Asian Games again successfully before tackling the Olympics. And yes, I think we will see an Olympics in India long before they ever go to Africa.

India is another one though, where the weather conditions will be far from ideal in July/Aug. With the average temps in New Delhi in the upper 90’s in the summer (& the heat index well into the 100’s), & monsoon season in full swing as well, those would extremely likely have to be Nov/Dec Games, just like Melbourne 1956 was. :blink:

^Exactly. Unless the IOC wants more athletes & spectators collapsing from heat exhaustion (& getting a bad PR wrap from that), then opening up Sept. & Oct. again also opens up so many other possibilities (especially when they have slim pickin's as it is these days). Would also make a Madrid hosting that much more comfortable. 

As I mentioned yesterday in one of the Russia 2036 threads, but July of this year was the 'hottest July on record'. Can only imagine what L.A. 2028 would be like as far as the heat, since California is just baking year after year now. Won't be the comfy high 70's/low 80's of 1984, that's for sure.

Plus, for the first-time ever, the U.S. Gov't has recently issued a water shortage for the Southwest part of the country. The global heat doesn't seem to be tapering off whatsoever. But as long as NBC (& other broadcasters) keep paying billions for broadcast rights, what's a few or so athletes winding up flat on the hot pavement, as long as the IOC gets their payday.  

On 8/18/2021 at 12:22 PM, Sir Rols said:

It’s ironic that while none of us give much regard to India’s Olympic aspirations, it’s probably one country, considering its devotion to cricket, that wouldn’t have too much commercial problems with accomodating athletics in its main stadiums/ovals.

I would guess the Delhi CWG stadium could still host athletics. In fact, just looked it up and it's 60k capacity which might've been regarded as on the small side a few years back but is perfectly in line with the 'new normal'.

Delhi and Madrid are like inverse bids. One has big stadium but credibility/organisational issues, the other is about as solid a host nation as you could want but needs to fix its main stadium conundrum.

Edited by Rob.

I would opt for La Cartuja for athletics in stadium with most events in early morning and evening. Marathon and race walks in Madrid. Sevilla already hosted the World Athletics Championships in August 1999 and nobody died. Or why not, in Barcelona. Sailing in Valencia. 

22 hours ago, HenryOaks said:

I would opt for La Cartuja for athletics in stadium with most events in early morning and evening. Marathon and race walks in Madrid. Sevilla already hosted the World Athletics Championships in August 1999 and nobody died. Or why not, in Barcelona. Sailing in Valencia. 

I had forgotten about the World Championships in Sevilla back in 1999. If memory serves me correctly, La Cartuja was originally going to be the main stadium for Sevilla's 2004 Olympics bid. Only problem with hosting events in the morning would be the time zone issue. Morning events live would be in the middle of the night in that coveted east coast time slot. Having said that, if Sevilla can hosts the worlds then they can host the athletics portion of a SOGs

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

just waiting to get ducks in a row hopefully, that and watching 2030 Barcelona get its final nails in the coffin.

And rightly so. Madrid needs a workable plan that includes a solution for the Olympic Stadium and an Olympic Village before jumping into this or they potentially risk a grassroots opposition like the one in Barcelona. 

• 1 month later...

Real Madrid are installing an (insanely) complex retractable pitch system. The Berbabeu could be used for football, ceremonies, as an indoor arena, or even a combination...a superb new option for the city's Olympic aspirations.

VIDEO:

Edited by Rob.

Looks needlessly complicated when you think doesn't the Spurs stadium just shove the whole pitch under the big stand? Useful though if you can turn the Bernabeu into two huge indoor arenas - maybe put a roof on Spurs and you could do the same :lol:. I guess this would host basketball and gymnastics at a Madrid Olympics, just a shame you can't stuff an athletics track in there...

• Like 1

I don't think you could retrofit Spurs' solution (the stored pitch goes much further beyond the stand as well). What RM are doing is complex, but not needlessly! They couldn't do this:

03tot7.png

What could be interesting, if RM's solution works and doesn't end up being too costly, is if other stadiums around the world copy it.

9 hours ago, Rob. said:

Real Madrid are installing an (insanely) complex retractable pitch system. The Berbabeu could be used for football, ceremonies, as an indoor arena, or even a combination...a superb new option for the city's Olympic aspirations.

VIDEO:

Lord, that's even more complicated than Venice's Moses Project . . . 

BTW, the narrator of this Venice video was a classmate of mine in High School.  

With the Bernabeu set-up and going that deep, why didn't they include a subway stop down there as well?? :blink:

On 11/5/2021 at 9:34 AM, StefanMUC said:

Well, that's all super cool, but won't solve the athletics issue.

On that note, IMO the IOC and more importantly the IAAF need to be engaging prospective candidate cities on the albatross that is the athletics stadium. The only real viable solution is either adapt an existing oval stadium with an athletics track or see if a local sports team can take over the stadium post-Olympics. Madrid has neither and this issue shuts out what would be A list Olympic candidates yet neither the IOC or IAAF have really attempted to solve the problem.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:25 PM, George_D said:

Very preliminary but this article sounds like they could suggest in a hypothetical Madrid bid that aquatics could be in Barcelina, rowing/canoeing in Seville, or cycling in either Valencia or Palma de Mallorca. There's an emphasis on high-speed rail connections as well. If they are willing to try that, then I don't think having athletics in either Seville or Barcelona is as much of hindrance as one might think.

40 minutes ago, stryker said:

Very preliminary but this article sounds like they could suggest in a hypothetical Madrid bid that aquatics could be in Barcelina, rowing/canoeing in Seville, or cycling in either Valencia or Palma de Mallorca. There's an emphasis on high-speed rail connections as well. If they are willing to try that, then I don't think having athletics in either Seville or Barcelona is as much of hindrance as one might think.

Wasn't madrid already building an aquatics venues for the 2020 bid?

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Wasn't madrid already building an aquatics venues for the 2020 bid?

Yes but it was abandoned in the middle of construction due to lack of funds. There was talk of finishing it last year but I don't think anything ever came of it. Regardless, the capacity was only around 4,000; ideal for water polo but not for the swimming events.