Madrid 2036

After four failed attempts by Madrid to organize the Olympic Games, the mayor of Madrid hints that it is time for Madrid to celebrate the Games after previous attempts and with so much work and structures already carried out. 

So soon Madrid will say they will bid a last attempt.

• Like 2

I was literally about to start this thread, lol.  I am all aboard the Madrid train, and I hope that it happens.  Now that Madrid seems like it all-but-officially threw its hat in the ring, I have to think of the names involved, they are instantly the most appealing of the bunch (unless suitcases of cash are involved)

What is currently in place, and what will be needed for Madrid to get this party going?

20 minutes ago, George_D said:

After 2028 in LA and 2032 in Brisbane, 2036 summer Olympics will sure go to Europe. So Madrid is the big favorite

I wouldn't bet on that most definitely. If we got an African or South American (Argentina??) bid I'd think they'd go with them or even Asia considering come 2036 it would've been 15 years since an Asian games vs 12 years since a European games?

If Madrid does get it that'd be quite something and bring my time on Gamesbids full circle.

The class of Singapore 2005 spawning 3 of the next 7 Games, with all of those bidding nations hosting a summer or winter Games subsequently, would be pretty cool. What a blockbuster race that was.

Edited by Rob.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I wouldn't bet on that most definitely. If we got an African or South American (Argentina??) bid I'd think they'd go with them or even Asia considering come 2036 it would've been 15 years since an Asian games vs 12 years since a European games?

do you really believe from economic aspect an argentina or african bid can have any luck? After 12 years there will be pressure for the games to return to Europe. Madrid or Rome for me have the most possibilities

30 minutes ago, George_D said:

do you really believe from economic aspect an argentina or african bid can have any luck? After 12 years there will be pressure for the games to return to Europe. Madrid or Rome for me have the most possibilities

I don't care what pressure there is. Every continent deserves a chance to host not going to and from Europe all the time. I do believe we will see a Buenos Aires bid in the near future.

Hmm where would the stadium be? Atleti got fed up of waiting and completed the Metropolitano since the last bid, and that's a (really nice) proper football ground now. I know they're currently rebuilding the Bernabeu but there's no way a track could go in there. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I don't care what pressure there is. Every continent deserves a chance to host not going to and from Europe all the time. I do believe we will see a Buenos Aires bid in the near future.

Latin America was host in 2016 right??

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Hmm where would the stadium be? Atleti got fed up of waiting and completed the Metropolitano since the last bid, and that's a (really nice) proper football ground now. I know they're currently rebuilding the Bernabeu but there's no way a track could go in there. 

why not? Brisbane also will transform an existing stadium without a track

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

I've been told it's still possible to convert the Wanda Metropolitano stadium to a T&F stadium.

It'd almost certainly mean compensating Atletico because the process essentially involves filling the lower bowl with dirt and installing a track above it (similar to what Glasgow did for 2014 but on a bigger scale). And then possibly taking out and adding new, narrower seats in the rest of the bowl! That would mean at least two seasons playing somewhere else, perhaps at the Bernabeu.

Here's a post with an interview from the architect...

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/madrid-wanda-metropolitano-68-456.662282/page-139#post-168647683

Edited by Rob.

Ouch - would be quite a disruption. Looking at the pictures of the Metropolitano as it is now, it'd be incredibly odd as an athletics stadium, the capacity would be severely reduced by taking the lower tier out and Bach's beloved VIP seats would be on the ground! Far too many echoes of the surreal idea to stuff a track inside Wembley - suspect Madrid might need another solution. Any third team needs a cheap stadium?

Madrid got so close in 2005. If memory serves me correctly, Madrid led the voting after the third round. if Madrid is serious and it gains government backing, I would think the Barcelona winter bid would be set aside. 

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

I've been told it's still possible to convert the Wanda Metropolitano stadium to a T&F stadium.

It'd almost certainly mean compensating Atletico because the process essentially involves filling the lower bowl with dirt and installing a track above it (similar to what Glasgow did for 2014 but on a bigger scale). And then possibly taking out and adding new, narrower seats in the rest of the bowl! That would mean at least two seasons playing somewhere else, perhaps at the Bernabeu.

Here's a post with an interview from the architect...

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/madrid-wanda-metropolitano-68-456.662282/page-139#post-168647683

It would definitely be pricey but the bigger problem I see from this is Atletico Madrid owns the stadium. I highly doubt the club will agree to playing two seasons on the road and then having the lower bowl of a brand new stadium being gutted just to install an athletics track. To my knowledge there are no other clubs in the Madrid area seeking new stadiums at this time. Perhaps a Madrid bid could include La Cartuja in Seville. It's only three hours travel time via the Madrid-Seville high speed rail. Closer than Barcelona anyway.

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Africa cannot finance and host the YOGs let alone the big version. Just look at Dakar. There is no country on the continent with the cash reserves to do so and with the economic havoc being wrought by Covid-19 it will be decades before Africa gets back on its feet. South Africa, long thought to be the continent's best shot, couldn't finance a CWGs and that country is falling apart s evidenced by the recent riots over basic necessities like food and medicine. I highly doubt the IOC would consider South America anytime soon either after the legacy mess left behind by Rio while Buenos Aires (Argentina has severe financial issues as well) would need an extensive amount of infrastructure investment, even under the so-called New Norm.

If Madrid and or London are bidding the rest of the field will be cleared quickly by the IOC. Given the desire by the IOC for safe hosts, the time frame between hostings by continent is no longer relevant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yoshi said:

Ouch - would be quite a disruption. Looking at the pictures of the Metropolitano as it is now, it'd be incredibly odd as an athletics stadium, the capacity would be severely reduced by taking the lower tier out and Bach's beloved VIP seats would be on the ground! Far too many echoes of the surreal idea to stuff a track inside Wembley - suspect Madrid might need another solution. Any third team needs a cheap stadium?

Getafe maybe, but if I remember what I've been told by my Madrid-based friend previously and correctly, they don't tend to get particularly high attendances. It may be that Atleti has to be persuaded to stomach it, even if the thought of them running out for home games at the Bernabeu seems something of a stretch.

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

I doubt that the IOC and the TOP sponsors will go for two Southern hemisphere Games in a row.  

My first instinct was to look at Getafe, but yeah there's the attendance problem.  

While Sevilla would be logistically plausible, it got me thinking, what is in a similar radius that has a large stadium?  And it hit me..........Valencia is building a new stadium that is supposed to be done by 2026.  But again, those are rabid soccer fans that wont tolerate a track bowl.  If they could swing it, it would be a more appealing option as the climate is much more temperate than perpetually hot Sevilla.  Im looking for other "sleeping giants" in the vicinity that could possibly work.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

Madrid got so close in 2005. If memory serves me correctly, Madrid led the voting after the third round. If Madrid is serious and it gains government backing, I would think the Barcelona winter bid would be set aside. 

Madrid had the most votes in only the second round. But still not the majority of votes needed. The supposed speculation, at the time, was that a couple of members voted for another city 'by mistake' when they meant to vote for Madrid. IDK if I buy that, or if any else ever did. 

As far as shoving the Barcelona winter bid aside to make way for Madrid, that would be real interesting. Cause I ponder will the Catalonians just take that one lying down. As it is, the tensions between Madrid & Barcelona are already intense, so that angle could just make it even worse.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

If Madrid and or London are bidding the rest of the field will be cleared quickly by the IOC. Given the desire by the IOC for safe hosts, the time frame between hostings by continent is no longer relevant.

The 2036 Olympics are Europe's to lose anyway (that is of course, if they want it). The Summer Olympics haven't been away from the continent for more than 12 years, so I don't see them going beyond that this time around either. Especially when the IOC seems desperate these days to "lock in safe hosts". If the Netherlands & Rhine Ruhr also emerge, the IOC will actually have a nice lot of reliables to pick from that they'll surely be overjoyed with for a change. 

47 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

My first instinct was to look at Getafe, but yeah there's the attendance problem.  

While Sevilla would be logistically plausible, it got me thinking, what is in a similar radius that has a large stadium?  And it hit me..........Valencia is building a new stadium that is supposed to be done by 2026.  But again, those are rabid soccer fans that wont tolerate a track bowl.  If they could swing it, it would be a more appealing option as the climate is much more temperate than perpetually hot Sevilla.  Im looking for other "sleeping giants" in the vicinity that could possibly work.

I'm assuming you are referring to Nou Mestalla which has been on and off construction for something like 10 years? If they really are finishing it I highly doubt the club would agree to a change including an athletic track. The new stadium is also owned by the club. Much like Atletico Madrid, a club that owns a stadium is under no obligation to install an athletics track for an Olympics. I still see only Seville or Barcelona as options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I doubt that the IOC and the TOP sponsors will go for two Southern hemisphere Games in a row.  

I would expect that timezone matters more than southern or northern hemisphere.

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It throws off the entire training and competition calendars of most of the sports. 

First, 2032 is taking place just in the same period as this year.

Second, with a prep time of 11 years, it would have been possible to adapt event & training calendars for that exception (hello Qatar 2019 and 2022).

2 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

First, 2032 is taking place just in the same period as this year.

Then, precisely, the northern-ruled federations probably won't endure 2 consecutive dislocations.  An occasional one-off is OK but major changes repeatedly is just too chaotic.  

8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Then, precisely, the northern-ruled federations probably won't endure 2 consecutive dislocations.  An occasional one-off is OK but major changes repeatedly is just too chaotic.  

Yes, agreed, but as long as the IOC doesn’t open the time window again, that’s a theoretical discussion anyway.